Forum Index > Gear Talk > 10 or 20 degree bag for 3-seasons in the Cascades?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
patrickbeeson

patrickbeeson
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 7:02 am 
I'm looking to get a new, slightly cooler bag to supplement my synthetic zero-degree bag for three-season hiking and climbing in the Cascades. My two choices are the Feathered Friends Swallow (20 degree) or Lark (10 degree). My priorities are packability and light weight. I believe both bags fit the bill, especially compared to my current bag. I'd like to use the bag for both lower-altitude backpacking, but also for climbing area peaks such as Adams, the Sisters, and others in the area. I'm not a winter-climber, and would likely use my zero-degree bag for that purpose anyway. My season will likely begin in mid-May and end in late October or early November (depending on snow pack, weather, etc). Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kweb

kweb
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 10:24 am 
Both 10° and 20° sound like overkill to me. I've downsized my gear closet to a 40° quilt for the majority of my outings and my FF Vireo for the colder stuff. I always have at least a light weight down or synthetic jacket with me that I can wear while sleeping. I prefer this over minimal clothing and a warmer bag as it makes hanging around camp at night and getting out of the tent/tarp/bag in the morning more comfortable. Last month I used my Vireo and light weight down pants along with my FF Helios down jacket to stay plenty warm on my Rainier climb that included a night on the summit. That combo was lighter and more versatile than my old FF 5° bag. So, provided you have a good insulating pad underneath you, I'd opt for something a bit lighter.

jared_j

jared_j
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 10:53 am 
If you've already got a 0 degree bag, then I'd advocate for a 30-degree bag. If you're in cool enough temps where you're concerned that you may be at the edge of the temperature range for a 30-degree bag, you'll likely be carrying some sort of insulating layer anyway that can be used to augment / "warm up" the 30 degree bag. I have an 8-year old Feathered Friends Merlin that's been my go-to for use as you describe (spring through fall outings in the Cascades, summertime volcano high-camps). I find that with a lightweight puffy I'm fine in this thing into the 20s. I realize sleep comfort is highly idiosyncratic, but I'm pretty sure that I need more insulation than most at night.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 10:59 am 
I usually use a 20 degree bag except very early or late in the shoulder seasons. I just used a 30 degree bag last week. you can get 40 - 50 degree nights at elevation during J - J - A especially in the East slope areas.

Living in the Anthropocene
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 11:34 am 
Really hard to have just one go to bag/quilt in Washington. For summer camping most could go with 40-30 degree at any elevation below 4K. Higher elevation 35-25 degrees. Shoulder seasons I'd want to go 20 to 25 degrees cooler. A ~ 30 degree and 0 degree combo would cover most areas. The comfort rating (being comfortably warm) is typically about 10 degrees warmer then the bag rating. Use of insulated mid layers can extend a bags rating signicantly.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 12:53 pm 
Depends on whether you are a hot or cold sleeper. I'm a warm sleeper so I got a 30 deg down bag for three season use. Unzip it all the way for summer use and zip it up for cool spring and fall temps.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
markweth

markweth
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 1:17 pm 
I used a 30* bag as my three-season bag for years in Montana/Idaho before upgrading to a 20* bag (Feathered Friends Hummingbird UL 20*) that weighed almost the same. A 10* degrees is definitely overkill for three-season use, as noted by another poster . . . although I think that a nice lightweight 20* can hit that sweet spot between comfort in early/late season conditions and being too hot most of the time. Feathered Friends makes great stuff and I think a 20* or 30* bag from them would be great for three-season use.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 4:28 pm 
What Steve said. If you're a cold sleeper you'll want the 20-degree bag. If you're a really, really, unusually cold sleeper, maybe the 10-degree. Most people get by just fine with a 30-degree bag, augmenting with a down jacket or something if it gets too cold.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 6:48 pm 
I went from a 0° synthetic to a 15° down. The down bag is warmer. I used both as multi season bags.

iron

iron
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 6:24 am 
we have 30 degree down bags and supplement them with our poofy down jackets when it's cold (20% of the time). if we're going to be camping on a glacier and the forecast isn't super hot, we'll bring a warmer bag.

patrickbeeson

patrickbeeson
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 6:47 am 
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! I decided to go with the 20 degree option (FF Swallow) and layer up if needed (or explore a liner). I'll put it to use this weekend in a traverse of the Tatoosh range.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 10:36 am 
iron wrote:
we have 30 degree down bags and supplement them with our poofy down jackets when it's cold
Work that gear make it do double duty. up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
christensent

christensent
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 7:57 am 
I use a 15 degree bag pretty much year round (excluding extreme cold winter days). It's comfortable in all conditions, and obviously overkill in summer applications. Especially if camping on snow, the pad below the sleeping bag is almost more important than the warmth of the bag itself. I used to be cold (and uncomfortable!) on a foam pad, but since going to an xtherm air pad, I don't think I've ever been cold at night.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 1:37 pm 
christensent wrote:
I use a 15 degree bag pretty much year round (excluding extreme cold winter days). It's comfortable in all conditions, and obviously overkill in summer applications.
For the Cascades I agree. Seems like that is a great 3-season temp rating for the Cascades. I remember base camping in a high meadow in the Entiat one July. We camped for three nights there and the first two nights were cold, reaching 12 degrees. The third night was warm and I basically slept with the bag draped over half of me. I was glad I had that 15 degree bag. Just my opinion, but most bags rated at 30 degrees are very optimistic in that assessment. YMMV Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."