Forum Index > Food & Grub > Is your Mac n' Cheese poisoning you?
Previous :: Next Topic  
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 7:15 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Pthalates found in powdered mac-and-cheese mixes

Quote:
Phthalates have been found in macaroni and cheese mixes made with powdered cheese. The chemical migrates into food from packaging and equipment used in manufacturing and may pose special risks to pregnant women and young children.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski

Ski
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 8:05 pm 
gag.gif

cooked noodles

a big glob of butter
a little flour
milk
grated cheese

melt butter in pan. throw in a little flour and stir stir stir stir quickly to make a roux. (you can add salt and pepper at this point.) pour in a little milk and stir stir stir stir over medium heat until it starts to thicken. don't let it boil! it will scorch and your sauce will separate. stir constantly.
when it begins to thicken, add the grated cheese and stir stir stir stir quickly so all the cheese melts and you get a thick creamy cheese sauce. dump the noodles in and stir gently to coat all the noodles with your yummy cheese sauce. remove pan from heat so it doesn't scorch.
takes about 5 or 10 minutes, depending upon how much you're making and how fast you are.

basic cheese sauce is a no-brainer. friends don't let friends eat boxed mac & cheese.

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 8:35 pm 
Backpacking food is different from regular food. While backing calories are good nutrients meh unless you are on arctic expedition. Chances of developing pellagra, scurvy, or beriberi are nil. Chances of exhaustion are high. Instant white rice cooks in a cozy with boiling water brown rice requires a pot. If you really need nutrients pop a pill. Manna on the JMT was nagging an envelope of Mac and cheese at Muir Trail Ranch hiker bins. hungry.gif

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker
Snarky Member
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 9:26 pm 
Digging into an article on the subject in Consumerist

Quote:
Average phthalate levels were more than four times higher in macaroni and cheese powder samples than in hard blocks and other natural cheese, in fat of products tested.

So the cheese powder in the little packet picks up more than a block of cheese you grate yourself ...

But it makes me wonder -- what is the absolute level ?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 11:00 am 
I will always hold a special place in my heart for that delicious powdered cheese mix. I think it's worth it.

--------------
www.madcampers.com
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Food & Grub > Is your Mac n' Cheese poisoning you?
  Happy Birthday furthur, poorbuthappy!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: