Forum Index > Trip Reports > Grasshopper Pass July 13-14, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostSat Jul 15, 2017 10:17 am 
This was to be a relaxing and easy stroll on the PCT south from the Harts Pass area for some peak bagging and an overnight camp. My partner on this hike, Bright River, is trying to do 75 peaks for her 75th year on Earth so we teamed up to tick off 6 more toward that goal. We took Rd 500 past Meadows CG to its end and parked about 100 yards from the PCT which is accessed via a short connector trail. It's about 5 miles to Grasshopper Pass from here. The PCT winds around Cone Mtn and crosses its shoulder on the east. Cone can be approached from here or where the trail crosses the saddle between it and Tatie Pk to the west.
On the trail.
On the trail.
Grasshopper Pass.
Grasshopper Pass.
Cone Mtn, our first peak of the day.
Cone Mtn, our first peak of the day.
From Cone Mtn we dropped back down to the trail and walked to the saddle between Tatie Pk and Syncline Mtn where we dropped our packs for the short climb up Tatie. Both Tatie and Cone have excellent views.
Looking west to Tatie Peak from Cone Mtn, 7405.'
Looking west to Tatie Peak from Cone Mtn, 7405.'
Syncline Mtn.
Syncline Mtn.
Ninetynine Basin.
Ninetynine Basin.
Back on the trail looking back to Cone.
Back on the trail looking back to Cone.
North Tatie from Tatie Peak, 7386.'
North Tatie from Tatie Peak, 7386.'
Slate Pass area.
Slate Pass area.
After enjoying some summit time on Tatie we hiked over to Grasshopper Pass to set up camp. Along the way we filled up with water in the south basin below Syncline which has a flowing creek at the base of a snowfield as we were uncertain about the water situation at the pass. After dinner we hiked up to Grasshopper Pk which has a trail all the way to the top. The views across the valley of Azurite are stunning from this point. The direct sun prevented any pics of that view so you'll have to take my word for it and make the short hike up this one to see for yourself.
Grasshopper Peak from camp at Grasshopper Pass.
Grasshopper Peak from camp at Grasshopper Pass.
The gatekeeper at Grasshopper Pass.
The gatekeeper at Grasshopper Pass.
A trail leads to the top of Grasshopper Peak, 7125.'
A trail leads to the top of Grasshopper Peak, 7125.'
The Needles.
The Needles.
Golden Horn.
Golden Horn.
Tower Mtn.
Tower Mtn.
In the morning we packed up a carried over Syncline Mtn which starts as a broad slope and narrows to a broken ridge walk leading to a highpoint with a bivy site. Some class 3 is found when dropping off the north side down to saddle with Tatie Pk and the PCT.
Azurite over Grasshopper Pass.
Azurite over Grasshopper Pass.
Grasshopper Peak.
Grasshopper Peak.
Mt Ballard.
Mt Ballard.
The ridge to the Syncline Mtn.
The ridge to the Syncline Mtn.
Looking down the south ridge of Syncline Mtn.
Looking down the south ridge of Syncline Mtn.
An airy bivy spot on Syncline, 7560.'
An airy bivy spot on Syncline, 7560.'
A class 3 step on the north side of Syncline.
A class 3 step on the north side of Syncline.
Looking back to Syncline from the PCT.
Looking back to Syncline from the PCT.
During the short walk back to the car we ran into several southbound hikers with designs of making it to Mexico this year. My partner remarked that one is not truly a thru-hiker until finishing the trail. She is a 2 time veteran of the PCT, once on foot and another on horseback. She talked to all the hikers and exchanged pleasantries with them. Here is an excerpt from Tha Wookie's 2003 PCT Journal making reference to Bright River who was Go Forth in those days.
Quote:
While we kicked back in the warm sun at a clear lake in a talused bowl, we heard a quiet horse. It was the only quiet horse on the trail -Hopi Horse! Of all the Horse/rider teams we've encountered, they are the only people who, in my opinion, do it well. Everyone else thinks they're John Wayne, and they look pitiful trying. Usually their horses look even worse. We have witnessed many of them treat their horses inhumanely, even as they depend on them for transportation and companionship. They ride anywhere, and lead to much environmental degradation. But there is an exception! Go Forth, a retired botonist and accomplished hiker, has become a positive example for the horse community. She carries very little weight -in fact, less than most hikers- other than horse feed. She treats Hopi and the trail with extreme respect. It's good to see her out here. I hope other horse users put the Hollywood lie of the Duke to rest, and learn to appreciate what's around them a little more by learning from Go Forth and Hopi Horse.
We even saw a guy pushing a bike and told him that bicycles are not permitted on the PCT but his answer was that he hadn't seen any signs stating that. Oh well. shakehead.gif We drove down just past Meadows campground and parked alongside the road for the hike up Harts Pass Peak. The hike is up through meadows and a burn with some interesting slabs on the way. The top is flat and would make for a good camp.
A tilted slab on the way to Harts Pass Peak.
A tilted slab on the way to Harts Pass Peak.
Marker on Harts Pass Pk summit, 6828.'
Marker on Harts Pass Pk summit, 6828.'
Our final summit was Slate Pk. This was my third time in the area and neither of us had ever been up here. A great tourist hike with big views.
The short walk to Slate Pk, our final summit of the trip, 7440.'
The short walk to Slate Pk, our final summit of the trip, 7440.'
On the drive down we ran into fellow nwhiker, Perry who was preparing for a hike north on the PCT with his goats and llamas. wave.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Jul 15, 2017 11:07 am 
Nice trip. 75 peals is a good goal. Looks like the smoke blew further north. Stunning photos! up.gif

RichP

RichP
PostSat Jul 15, 2017 11:29 am 
Gimpilator wrote:
75 peaks is a good goal.
I think it's a remarkable goal at 75.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Jul 15, 2017 2:21 pm 
RichP wrote:
That is an awesome image of Phacelia sericea! One of my favorites, closely associated with fun, because it is found in rocky terrain on ridgetops. The first record in the Burke Herbarium for the Slate Pass environs is from 1937.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Distel32

Distel32
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 9:58 am 
up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 10:10 am 
up.gif That is a wonderful stretch of the PCT. Great pics, thanks for posting. Also thanks for making me aware I climbed Grasshopper Peak a couple years ago. I just thought it was a bump on a ridge.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 10:51 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Also thanks for making me aware I climbed Grasshopper Peak a couple years ago. I just thought it was a bump on a ridge.
Not an official name but what peakbagger.com calls it. It really is just a bump on the longer and formally named Hancock Ridge. http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=53716

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 am 
up.gif So the PCT is pretty clear of snow through there ? Looks nice I told Nettie Hannah may need to swap out micros pikes at some point for a filter mask. Monthly rainfall for Wenatchee is 0.00 inches.

Living in the Anthropocene
RichP

RichP
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 6:49 am 
wildernessed wrote:
So the PCT is pretty clear of snow through there ?
All clear, Rob.

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 8:37 am 
Really stunning pictures. up.gif You hiking partner is an inspiration.