Forum Index > Photography Talk > Film is still fun
Previous :: Next Topic  
Gil

Gil
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 7:10 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I've been taking my film cameras out on trips occasionally depending on my mood. Here's photographer Kurt Smith on the way back from Cutthroat Pass.

Trail back home in North Cascades National Park. Rokkor-X 50mm f1.7, Minolta X700, Kodak 400
Trail back home in North Cascades National Park. Rokkor-X 50mm f1.7, Minolta X700, Kodak 400

--------------
Friends help the miles go easier.
My most interesting images
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Gil

Gil
PostSat Jul 15, 2017 10:45 pm 
Friends chuckle when I bring my old film cameras into the mountains. But there's something about the experience of shooting film and the qualities of the result.  Rokkor-X 50mm f1.7, Minolta X-700, Kodak 400.
Friends chuckle when I bring my old film cameras into the mountains. But there's something about the experience of shooting film and the qualities of the result.  Rokkor-X 50mm f1.7, Minolta X-700, Kodak 400.
Enchantments
Enchantments

--------------
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 6:11 pm 
I guess I dont disagree so much, but I have to ask.   Why?  Just the ability to instantly adjust ISO is worth it to me.  In the past having to carry three or more bodies filled with differing film speeds was a pain in the butt!

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 8:23 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I guess I dont disagree so much, but I have to ask.   Why?  Just the ability to instantly adjust ISO is worth it to me.  In the past having to carry three or more bodies filled with differing film speeds was a pain in the butt!

agree.gif  up.gif

But if it makes you happy.

I was an early adopter of digital photography.   Never looked back....

--------------
friluftsliv
Gil

Gil
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 9:24 pm 
Why paint? It's so much easier to take a photo.

--------------
Gil

Gil
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 9:29 pm 
Ilford XP2 film, Rokkor-X 135mm f3.5, Minolta X700.
Ilford XP2 film, Rokkor-X 135mm f3.5, Minolta X700.

--------------
Ski

Ski
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 9:49 pm 
up.gif

Go for it.

I loved film once I finally figured out the little nuances between Agfa Optima 100 and Agfa Ultra 50 and gained some understanding (even though a bit klutzy) of just how to set those dials on that "f-stop" thingie and shutter speeds and all that, but it just got way too crazy expensive (and hard to find!) and my hit rate was maybe one or two great shots out of a 36-exposure roll.
Finally broke down and bought a cheapie digital and abandoned the idea I'd ever been competing with Ansel Adams. wink.gif

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:57 am 
I don't think i will ever go back to film at all, but I will say the one positive about using film is I would certainly take a lot more time setting up each shot. With digital, I tend to quickly pull out the cam and shoot without checking settings I should. For example, I will have been shooting the stars the night before and set the ISO to like 6400 and forgot about it the next day, then my first 10 pics of the day are shot at 6400, because unless I specifically need to crank it up I usually leave it at 100 and forget about it.

--------------
www.madcampers.com
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Photography Talk > Film is still fun
  Happy Birthday furthur, poorbuthappy!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: