Forum Index > Trail Talk > Forest bathing? Is this a joke?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
conrad74

conrad74
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 12:37 pm 
Forest bathing? Certified Forest Therapy Guide?
Quote:
It's not a hike, either. We did walk the forest trails, but we meandered with no particular destination in mind.
Why does hiking have to have a destination? You can entertain yourself more here: http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/07/17/536676954/forest-bathing-a-retreat-to-nature-can-boost-immunity-and-mood

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 12:57 pm 
I wonder how much it costs to become a certified forest therapy guide?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:08 pm 
The mountains are therapy enough. If you need someone to help you connect with the "Mountain Magic" I feel sorry for you. frown.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 pm 
Never mind--found it. A mere $3210.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:13 pm 
The Lead Dog wrote:
The mountains are therapy enough. If you need someone to help you connect with the "Mountain Magic" I feel sorry for you. frown.gif
I look upon it as an opportunity. Perhaps my little community could become therapists like Forks has become the Twilight area. We certainly live in a good place for it.

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 2:14 pm 
conrad74 wrote:
Forest bathing? Certified Forest Therapy Guide?
Quote:
It's not a hike, either. We did walk the forest trails, but we meandered with no particular destination in mind.
Why does hiking have to have a destination? You can entertain yourself more here: http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/07/17/536676954/forest-bathing-a-retreat-to-nature-can-boost-immunity-and-mood
Hah! I was going to post the same question. This is right up there with Gwyneth Paltrow's ridiculous line of snake oil products. I hope the NPR article was intended as satire...

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 2:52 pm 
This is for the WEAK-WILLED who don't have the physical strength, mental toughness, and drive/ambition to COMPETE on a hard push up Aasgard into the CORE ZONE, racking up a KILL COUNT!!!!!!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 pm 
What's the advantage of being "certified" does mean that such "therapy sessions" are billable to medical insurance? If so $3200 is a pretty low entry fee.
Captain Obvious wrote:
One study published in 2011 compared the effects of walking in the city to taking a forest walk. Both activities required the same amount of physical activity, but researchers found that the forest environment led to more significant reductions in blood pressure and certain stress hormones.
You mean being in a quiet, natural environment is measurably less stressful than walking in an urban environment listening to police and fire truck sirens, dodging panhandlers, street hawkers and dodging cars ? No way!!

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 3:36 pm 
I think going for both the Forest Therapy AND a Prancercising Instructor certificate would be an ideal combination. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8012159&highlight=prancercise

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 4:19 pm 
Al has 10 year's experience as a CFT (Certified Forest Therapist) specializing in the treatment of emotional instability, depression, sexual dysfunction, parnoid mentation, chronic hyperprocrastination (CHP), financial insecurity, and delusions of adequacy (DOA). He is very afordable (works for almost nothing), pleasant to work with, and always seems to be available when I need him. Unfortunately, none of these problems has gone away, but I still think he's done me a lot of good. I get by in spite of everything. Maybe it's because most of our therapy sessions are above the forest.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 4:36 pm 
This is more of a forest therapist, although he did not like to bathe--just go swimming, instead. Note his earth tones.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 6:12 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
What's the advantage of being "certified" does mean that such "therapy sessions" are billable to medical insurance? If so $3200 is a pretty low entry fee.
Captain Obvious wrote:
One study published in 2011 compared the effects of walking in the city to taking a forest walk. Both activities required the same amount of physical activity, but researchers found that the forest environment led to more significant reductions in blood pressure and certain stress hormones.
You mean being in a quiet, natural environment is measurably less stressful than walking in an urban environment listening to police and fire truck sirens, dodging panhandlers, street hawkers and dodging cars ? No way!!
I want to know.... 1) how do people get paid for these inanely obvious studies? 2) Did we as tax payers pay for this foregone conclusion study, or is it privately funded by the Forestry therapy Training industry?

friluftsliv
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 10:45 pm 
I often have a Kind bar and a yogurt while forest immersing. Add in log or duff sitting. I guess I'm a Master. Like the esteemed Dog photos, and bench at Woods Creek.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 11:35 pm 
boot up wrote:
Did we as tax payers pay for this foregone conclusion study, or is it privately funded by the Forestry therapy Training industry?
The studies I've found were done in Japan and China.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 12:05 am 
lol @ these city people who think the woods is some place with magical healing powers. But if they want to smoke crack and pay someone $400 take them to the forest and pretend they're in Narnia that's none of my business.