Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Cost of NPS Senior Pass Going Up From $10 to $80
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 9:45 pm 
Perhaps it is time to prioritize one's political issues and compromise on the ones that are not as important. I think there are a lot more conservatives that want to keep public ownership of national parks and such, but can't tolerate other left sided things.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 1:01 am 
Schroder wrote:
Just a reminder - the cost goes up August 1st. Tell any senior you know that might not have one, even if they may seldom use it.
According to NPS, the date is August 28.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 1:37 am 
NPS.gov wrote:
What if I have a current Senior Pass? The current passes are lifetime passes and will remain valid.
up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gregory

Gregory
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 7:00 am 
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 10:33 am 
Yeah, damn kids, anyway. I'd refuse to pony up a one-time fee of $70 to make way for the future, too. rant.gif Not sure I’d consider an $80 lifetime fee as being “screwed over.” But if you’d rather, you can purchase a America the Beautiful pass annually. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Gregory

Gregory
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 5:41 am 
Just saying kim.Nothing is free no matter how progressive you pretend to be.The people that have bought the passes for 40 years, never got a free one from a phony school program, get to pay for the phony school program.How many here on this board clapped and bragged about their free park pass from the phony school program?I remember quite a few.If a Parent wants to educate their children the outdoors they will or they won't.Another entitlement is not going to be the reason why.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 6:07 pm 
This thing also does double duty as a Northwest Forest Pass. Once the price goes up to $80, does that mean we have to worry about added car prowl risk? After all, it will become equivalent to hanging $80 on your mirror.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 6:33 pm 
It is just as likely to be stolen even though you only pay $10 because they seldom check the number on it except at national parks or when you camp. They would probably deactivate it if stolen and you report it. The regular America the beautiful pass is just as valuable. I doubt you could fence one for much.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 3:40 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Once the price goes up to $80, does that mean we have to worry about added car prowl risk?
They're already $80 annual for non seniors, and have been for quite some time. So if a stealing trend were to happen it'd be happening now. But, you might have a point - Seniors grifting each other and other criminal activity might rise. Gambling addiction may rise among seniors vying for an America the Beautiful Pass. A senior in possession of a pass might be victim of a gold digger or two. Or more.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
It is just as likely to be stolen even though you only pay $10 because they seldom check the number on it except at national parks or when you camp. They would probably deactivate it if stolen and you report it. The regular America the beautiful pass is just as valuable. I doubt you could fence one for much.
I had entry person at Staircase enter my America the Beauty Pass number in May. I'd seen that number. I'd assumed it was for audit purposes at the ranger stations. I have had the Parks Canada staff look at their annual pass. I've never paid attention to see if they were entering a number.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 6:30 am 
Being born at the end of the Baby boom has been disappointing. I'm not old enough yet, and also ski areas bumped up their age, or did away with it, for free skiing. And Klapton, that's all we need--millions of junky little "homesteads" instead of public lands. I'd rather have a big corporation own them and have laws allowing us peons to recreate on the land if the choice was between the two. Suburbia and farming are true deforestation. In fact, parts of our current National Forest lands were once homesteads that failed. In Wisconsin, homesteaders cleared and burned the land, but couldn't make a go of it due to climate and soil type and it was called, The Land Nobody Wanted. It is now back in forest. The private timberland in the same area is being subdivided and sold off and turned into vacation and hunting homes. Not a good thing for the forests and critters.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities