Forum Index > Trail Talk > White Chuck Glacier basin from the west (Glacier Peak)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:01 pm 
Can anyone relate whether this route should be attempted without technical gear in August? Basically, as described in Routes and Rocks as the "Disappointment Peak HR", the route starts at Glacier Peak Meadows near the cinder cone, and goes up to the tarn/lake labeled as '6443' on the USGS 7.5' quad. I would love to see the White Chuck Glacier basin as part of a loop I'm doing (Lost Creek Ridge to North Fork Sauk loop)...and this seems like the best way to include the basin within our schedule. The only alternative I'm aware of is to use the Foam Creek Trail and enter the basin from the east, but that adds a lot of mileage to an already long day. Thanks for any feedback!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:52 pm 
I think you should be fine. As long as you pick your route well, it's low angle terrain (below 27%). Personally, I'm fine with that without traction or axe under most conditions. The Caltopo Fixed Slope Shading overlay can be very helpful to plan your route smile.gif.

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 pm 
Thanks - that's what I'm hoping. For some reason, despite a lot of searching, I haven't found any trip reports that give this route more than a passing mention. Everyone talks of the Foam Creek side, and how if you come over the ridge in the wrong place you're stuck in steep scree. To me, this western approach looks more interesting anyways, assuming there aren't any insurmountable obstacles. Anyone have photos or other beta to share? It looks to be about 2 miles from the PCT to the first tarn...think that's doable in 2 hours?

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 3:38 pm 
I've seen some reports, but can't find much right now yeah. I remember one report that followed the white chuck creek more closely (down), but that's not the route you want to follow (steeper). Not sure, but my guess is that the Foam route is popular because it pretty much keeps you at elevation from NF Sauk, while the other route is almost 1000ft down from Red Pass. Foam is also quite scenic. I loved the views to the south there. Foam is the standard route to Glacier Peak these days, at least when the snowpack is gone and an approach over a trail is preferred (otherwise people go straight over the ridge between Red Pass and White Mountain). As I mentioned in my trip report, I do think the current route over the SE ridge from 6770 is strange, and I would go around to avoid that steep decent. I thought that was quite sketchy with heavy packs. Generally, many people prefer not to post tracks or even any information on off-trail routes, and in particular that moist area from the Cinder Cone up to White Chuck is probably pretty sensitive.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 pm 
There's a lot of scree through there when the snow's gone. I'm not sure how high your route traverses but I watched a group from above slogging from Red Pass to get up to the White Chuck moraine and they ended up turning around. That tarn is pretty impressive from just above it.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 4:50 pm 
If you're talking about that SE fork of the White Chuck River, there is a well-beaten path from the PCT that leads eastwards into those lovely basins. There's a basin at about 6200; from there I ascended to the ridge above Foam Basin with a corgi (we came from LCR, camped near the PCT, thence went up the White Chuck and over into Foam Basin). Descended it to the PCT with the dog last summer. An ice ax might be handy for snow or steep heather, but it should be casual, open cross-country travel. I came down that way really ripped on acid maybe 30 years ago, but when I saw the PCT, it looked too much like civilization, and I wasn't ready to go home, so I climbed up the north side of WHite Mt. and found a balloon that says, "You're the Greatest". A sign from the heavens; I was in no mood to argue. You can follow the ridge from that 6700' knob above Foam Basin over White Mt. all the way to Red Pass.
only later, upon reflection, did I realize it was probly meant not for me, but for the Darrington trail crews.
only later, upon reflection, did I realize it was probly meant not for me, but for the Darrington trail crews.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.

zimmertr
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 pm 
btw if you're coming up LCR, there's a great solo bivvy on a little tiny path right on the ridge above Lake Byrne; great views east and west. Also a more normal campsite a little below (but still way up above Byrne or Camp lakes) sandy, low-impact.
but there is something vaguely disturbing about the view to the west...
but there is something vaguely disturbing about the view to the west...

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 pm 
Thanks everyone. Some good stuff here - I think this is enough to go on, but if anyone wants to PM me any other details I'd gladly accept!

Distel32

Distel32
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 9:57 pm 
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 am 
I've been up that way probably 5 times. Each a bit of an adventure..but there is a bit of trail...suggest you hike down a little past the two last campsites in the basin ...then head over toward the falls..angleing up to the right of the falls ...keep wandering up...and the way then angles left and you come to the lake. This in/of itself is a beautiful area...I've spent hours watching dippers there. From the lake there is a rock scramble that leads over to the Glacier basin...which is huge. The glacier has retreated so much from when I first saw it in 1989. Was up there about 5years ago...so once over the rocks I imagine it will b a walk to the Glacier. Incredibly beautiful place..hope to return there ...that area and pumice creek up are very special places...many hours spent wandering there. ENJOY

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 10:06 pm 
Distel32's photos show exactly what that area looked like last weekend when we visited!

Distel32

Distel32
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 6:30 am 
Jetlag wrote:
Distel32's photos show exactly what that area looked like last weekend when we visited!
I should hope so! I took them last weekend! lol.gif

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 10:16 pm 
Desertsp wrote:
Thanks - that's what I'm hoping. For some reason, despite a lot of searching, I haven't found any trip reports that give this route more than a passing mention. Everyone talks of the Foam Creek side, and how if you come over the ridge in the wrong place you're stuck in steep scree. To me, this western approach looks more interesting anyways, assuming there aren't any insurmountable obstacles. Anyone have photos or other beta to share? It looks to be about 2 miles from the PCT to the first tarn...think that's doable in 2 hours?
It's the route described in the 100 Classic Hikes book. I think Manning called it "White Chuck Glacier."

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:16 am 
Foist wrote:
It's the route described in the 100 Classic Hikes book. I think Manning called it "White Chuck Glacier."
Thanks - just purchased a copy of the book on Amazon...sounds like a good one! Do you happen to know if the Glacier Peak book by the same authors has more detail than the statewide book?

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 6:44 am 
On that specific hike? Probably not. Note that the book is old and outdated. For instance it has that hike starting on the white chuck river trail, which was wiped out in 2003. But the description of the upper section, on the pct and up to the glacier, should still be helpful.