Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Fuji Heavy Industry targeted a subculture....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 8:01 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Chico wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I wish those bastards would import their boxer diesel (Subaru Outback) to the US.
Would probably have to pull a Volkswagen!
Two things: 1) Fuel prices in the US are so low compared to yurp and Japan, so the US market for super high mileage diesels is pretty small. 2) The EPA regulations that VW violated are unique to the US. In fact the NOX regulations seem almost taylor made to exclude the small high efficiency diesels made by VW, Subaru, Toyota, etc for other markets. Yurp and Japan has much greater population density, yet their environmental protection agencies see fit to permit them. I wonder whether these regulations are really intended to protect public health or are they there to protect sales of gasoline?
I dont disagree. That said, all VW needed to do was to add a relatively inexpensive Blu-Tec tank to they're diesel vehicles and everything would have been fine. Who could possibly have thought what they did was a GOOD idea??? Think about it though. If Subaru could advertise (and sell) a 50 mpg Outback they couldnt build them fast enough for their orders. Coming from someone who has a 55 mpg car, once you experience it, you never want to go back.....

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message