Forum Index > Trail Talk > Buck Creek Fire Extent?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 10:55 pm 
Open this map full screen. Did I do this right? Is that the outline of the Buck Creek/Phelps Ridge fire? If so, anyone know how accurate that is? It looks like the Massie High Route escaped...? When this fire was in progress the FS made it sound like it was fairly low intensity which is why they were letting it burn but a recent TR on WTA makes it sound like the lower portion of the Buck Creek valley is all burned up and a mass of blowdowns. Anyone been up that way recently?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 8:02 am 
I thought the Buck Creek trail was open now...am I wrong?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 10:00 am 
Here's the WTA report, for reference.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 12:21 pm 
The Buck Creek trail has traditionally been popular with hunters and horse packers. I know there has been a horse camp set up in the vicinity of Pass No Pass. That bodes well for getting this trail cleaned up and the bridge fixed. I hope.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm 
It was a pretty patchy burn from what I hear, I believe massie escaped.

Chico

Chico
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 3:38 pm 
From GeoMac - "In order to give fire managers near real-time information, fire perimeter data is updated daily based upon input from incident intelligence sources, GPS data, infrared (IR) imagery from fixed wing and satellite platforms." The infra-red sources will be less accurate. And when they determine boundary they won't be going in and out of the burn area simply because it didn't burn. As such you end up with a "blob". Doesn't mean it burned. But areas adjacent did so they "smooth" the boundary line.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:07 am 
Nice map. hockeygrin.gif If you turn off the trail layer on your map then the historical fire perimeters will be the top layer. The top layer is the one with the highest number in front of layer name. You can click the top layer and see a popup with all the attribute data the GIS server has for the thing that you clicked. That attribute data includes the fire name.

cartman

cartman
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 8:05 am 
FYI, called the ranger station yesterday and they said the bridge over the Chiwawa River 2.5 miles from the Buck Creek TH is heavily damaged and "very scary" to cross, and that a fall into the swift-moving river would likely be fatal. This also likely means no maintenance has been done to the trails past there. If anyone has or gets any real time info would be great to hear it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 8:12 am 
Hey Cart, what's beyond that bridge again?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 9:36 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Hey Cart, what's beyond that bridge again?
Apparently, the Pearly Gates. clown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 12:02 pm 
Shangri La, no hold it that's the Napeequa

teperilloux

teperilloux
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 12:10 pm 
Such a shame. The trail accesses such beautiful terrain and scrambly peaks. I was planning to take a friend up there for their first time to explore points from high pass to fortress. Glacier Peak wilderness is my favorite, I may need to try some west side exploration instead.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 6:14 pm 
Thanks for the responses everyone. Hmmm... I wonder what the river level will be like in another three weeks, which is when I'd be crossing it. IIRC, the river is in kind of a deep cut right there. I wonder if it could be more easily forded up- or down-stream? teperilloux - there are other ways into GPW...? you can approach that area from the North via the Suiattle R. (thought it's quite a bit longer), from the East via Lucerne/Holden, or via looping around from Phelps Creek and Lyman Lakes. I'm guessing you probably knew that already but thought I'd throw it out there just in case. Joey - thanks for the tips and for providing the app!

Dale Wick
sumitup

Dale Wick
sumitup
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 10:45 pm 
The Chiwawa River bridge on the Buck Creek trail is broken in the middle. The old stock ford has not been brushed out for some time but would be the easiest way for the Forest Service to reopen the trail. Once the river drops (in August) the crossing will be safe enough once the old trail ford is opened up. It will probably be possible to cross on the bridge but I would rather get my feet wet. The fire did not impact the upper Chiwawa or Buck Creek areas so the Massie High Route is not affected. The fire was hot enough to kill many of the thin barked trees and brush. The fire perimeter map looks to be accurate. The trail is open but has not been logged out.