Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 8:17 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I'm thinking Ted Williams on full choke could nail one.
up.gif that's what I think is appropriate!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 9:10 pm 
Chico, glaringly absent in that list of "nos" is flying a drone near or above a wildfire or other incident where emergency services are involved. There have been many documented instances where drone operators have interfered with fire fighting efforts and other operations involving emergency services.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
JeffreyH

JeffreyH
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 12:48 pm 
Drones are the most annoying thing I've ever experienced on hikes. I am really afraid of them becoming even more popular in the near future. frown.gif

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 3:26 pm 
Good friends don't let friends do drones. If any drone dwebs read this thread, do us a favor, don't be an a**hole, and leave your drone at home.

n16ht5

n16ht5
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 8:12 pm 
I am going to look for some of you just to buzz with my drone, rip right next to you on my dirt bike, snowbike, or snowmobile since you are such narcissistic megalomaniacs that think a gentle "whir" off in the distance is going to ruin your "wilderness experience" ... especially when you are outside of wilderness. dizzy.gif absolutely insane, selfish ego driven attitudes. I could care less what people do in public land as long as they aren't destroying it. I don't let my ego get in the way of having a good time. There are plenty of places to go for solitude!!!! waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif waah.gif

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 8:41 pm 
I've only encountered drones a few times on public lands, and then only near roads, never while out hiking. The few times I have seen them they tend to fly for a very short amount of time (just enough to grab a snapshot, or a quick bit of video). I find the noise produced by gas powered vehicles to be much more irritating - they're louder, the sound carries farther, and it's typically not limited to a minute or two.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
RichP

RichP
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 9:06 pm 
This week I was out in some fairly remote areas of the Glacier Peak Wilderness and was buzzed several times daily by low flying fighter jets. I'l take the hum of a drone over that any day.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 6:56 am 
n16ht5 wrote:
I am going to look for some of you just to buzz with my drone,
Be sure to bring a garbage bag so you can pack out the drone pieces.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 8:47 am 
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 12:03 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
Good point. If you do knock down a drone, be sure to pack out the pieces, if the owner doesn't recover them.
Also it is against federal law to harm a drone. FAA takes it pretty serious too. That said I don't think it's okay to buzz folks.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 12:04 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I've only encountered drones a few times on public lands, and then only near roads, never while out hiking. The few times I have seen them they tend to fly for a very short amount of time (just enough to grab a snapshot, or a quick bit of video). I find the noise produced by gas powered vehicles to be much more irritating - they're louder, the sound carries farther, and it's typically not limited to a minute or two.
Most drone batteries only last for 20 minutes.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 12:07 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
sooperfly wrote:
For commercial operators - yes, not for hobbyists. Hobbyists are currently exempt from the 400 ft rule.
Since when did this happen? Everything I've read has said it must always be within eyesight and no more than 400 feet above the ground. It would make more sense that commercial operators are the ones exempt from this restriction, because they're the ones that have to go through the permitting process. Hobbyists don't have to register with the FAA anymore.
Drone rules are strange for sure and a bit outdated too. It's far easier to see where your drone is by looking at the live video link on a tablet then it is to see a tiny little spec in the sky. That said I would never fly my drone over a wilderness. I've only flown it near hikers once and only after asking if it was okay. It was fine with them and they all asked for photos of themselves on the summit. I emailed photos to the ones who sent me there adresses. Not a wilderness summit, not even federal land.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 2:00 pm 
You see? RR, you sound like a courteous drone pilot. My little diatribe wasn't directed at pilots who fly their drones in a courteous and common sense manner. It brings to mind the no smoking movement. If all smokers had been extremely courteous to others, no-smoking laws would have not been needed. Play a mind game, and think about all the laws that would be unnecessary if courtesy, common sense and kindness were the rules of the day.

MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 3:12 pm 
Most have a ~15-20 minute battery life... can't we just put up with it for a few minutes until it goes away?

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 8:21 am 
http://blog.theclymb.com/out-there/drones-banned-in-national-parks/

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want