Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > First total solar eclipse since 1979 in US mainland; Aug, 21, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat May 06, 2017 10:06 pm 
I ordered solar glasses for my family today, plus some solar film to make covers for our binoculars and cameras. I'm trying, like you guys, to figure out where to go. My brother lives in Sisters, so I suppose that could be our backup, but they only get 30 seconds or so of totality. We'll probably find a place to commando camp, or I know some campgrounds in the area that are fist come, first served. I was thinking of going down the week before? Think that will work? As another warning about staying far away from Madras: my brother has sent me text from a few local newspaper articles. It sounds dire. This is what they are telling people who live there: "What we're anticipating is the capacity of the highway will be met. There will be no available space for people to drive in,” Murphy said. “So it's important that we understand whether there's a crash, whether there's an incident of any kind, (so) we can respond quickly.” "Plan ahead. Go do your grocery shopping a week in advance. Go fill your gas tanks a week early. Do all these things so you're not out there trying to compete with the general visitor population,” said Crook County Emergency Manager Michael Ryan. http://www.ktvz.com/news/eclipse-prompts-central-oregon-agencies-collaboration/481565295 And another article: http://www.ktvz.com/news/a-few-dozen-agencies-coordinate-for-madras-eclipse/384974936 My cousin is a cop with the county down there, and they are trying to figure out how they can move people who have medical emergencies around - they are thinking of helicopters, or something? I'm hoping if I can go down a week early, I can find a spot to camp out until Monday. Hope that's not a silly plan. Also, last I looked, OMSI has a viewing party, which is completely full, but they still have spots to volunteer, so that's another way to get into it. https://omsi.edu/eclipse-2017 I think I saw something on FB about John Day NM needing a few more volunteers, as well.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSun May 07, 2017 12:47 pm 
Madris was declared the #1 viewing spot in part because of the easy access to North/South and East/West highways allowing for movement if clouds develop. God help them if clouds develop now. Some estimates are even pushing 100,000 for Madris alone. I personally think from Madris to the coast one should not even plan on being mobile. Check the weather forecast be at your spot. Correct if necessary at the latest sat or sun and hope for the best. Being there a week ahead of time sounds crazy, but I don't think it is. I read a lot or all of the first come first serve campgrounds had been converted over to the reservation system for the Eclipse. They were gone in minutes after being put online. Might want to take a extra gas along as any gas station is likely to be empty with no way of resupplying at some point.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun May 07, 2017 3:03 pm 
I read somewhere that the non-reservable campgrounds were transitioned to reservable for the eclipse, but when I went on the FS website for the one I was interested in, it didn't say anything about that. I couldn't find eclipse info easily on the FS website at all. I sent an email asking that question; I'll report back when I find out. Maybe it will be time to look farther east, though I'm not familiar at all with those areas.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 08, 2017 10:54 am 
We just did three days scouting down there and a LOT of dirt driving. See the trip report Bottom line: In the zone S of Antelope in through Ashwood and E of Madras, the vast ranch holdings there mean a LOT of fences and very little access beyond road right of ways.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostSun May 14, 2017 4:08 pm 
Well, Oregon being Oregon, it tends to burn a lot in the late Summer. Wouldn't be a bummer if everyone came over here, and we were inundated with forest fire smoke? Bigger bummer, fires get started. A lot of locals are excited for the the money it will bring to our communities, but terrified of the lasting effects the crowds will bring. Personally, I'm not looking forward to the undug cat holes and the TP, the litter, the possible fires, the trespassing, the stress on wildlife, etc etc etc etc. (not saying any of 'you' will act like this, but, there are thousands who will.)

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 12:04 am 
It is getting way late in the game if your still looking for eye protection other than just the paper glasses. Individuals have bought up the shade 14 welding lenses (NASA approved eye protection) and are now trying to resell for inflated prices. Personally would not trust my eyesight to some guy on eBay. Phillips safety products still has shade 14 lenses in stock. German made not Chinese, in other words not the cheapest you can find or could have found a few months ago. This is an actual real company. They don't sell the goggles, but you can mount in cardboard or go to your local welding supply store and get the goggles for 10-20 dollars. For the goggles style show the size lense you need is 2 x 4.25. They can easily be used with your regular glasses.
Either the green lenses shade 14 ($6.49) or the gold coated lenses shade 14 ($20) will work. The shade 14 part is very important as the lenses come on various other shades that will not protect your eyes. The gold coated beyond being more expensive, will give you a slightly sharper image. If anyone buys the AlloWeld lense $249, kudos you have more money than common sense. Shipping around $12. http://www.phillips-safety.com/welding-safety/welding-lenses.html They also sell not inexpensive eclipse branded googles and glasses http://www.phillips-safety.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Eclipse+

Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 3:12 pm 
Justus S. wrote:
Borah in Idaho looks to be a spot to see it too.
I hear Chicken Out Ridge has slid off the mountain making the summit impossible to reach via the standard route. Plus, the Scree Flea Herpal Viral outbreak on the upper section is supposedly out of control. Best to plan for another location.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 4:55 pm 
Nice graphical portrayal from NASA. Especially interesting is the 3-dimensionality of the shadow based on both the moon's surface and that of the earth it passes over. ~z
This second one is from Great American Eclipse.com and has a slightly different perspective. (Note: as far as I can tell, there is no sound to this one.)

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 6:40 am 
zephyr wrote:
Nice graphical portrayal from NASA. Especially interesting is the 3-dimensionality of the shadow based on both the moon's surface and that of the earth it passes over. ~z
Nice, thanks for the info. This describes it in a manner that I didn't know about, but it makes sense. I'm hoping that my proposed viewing location (from the deck of a 50' sailboat, either in harbor or ~20 miles out to sea) actually works out ok... My first choice would have been from the top of Smith Rock. Watching it cross the valley from the Cascades should be quite spectacular....IF the sky is clear that day.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 9:13 am 
Useful tool on this article. You can enter a zip code and it will show the percentage of totality. https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 7:53 pm 
moonspots wrote:
My first choice would have been from the top of Smith Rock. Watching it cross the valley from the Cascades should be quite spectacular....IF the sky is clear that day.
I was thinking Smith Rock would an ultimate viewing location. But note that Smith Rock is a zoo similar to Mt Si on a normal day as regards crowds. I can't imagine how impossible it would be to find parking within miles during the eclipse, or even get close to it. I could be wrong. And it could be worth the gamble.

friluftsliv
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:11 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
"What we're anticipating is the capacity of the highway will be met. There will be no available space for people to drive in,” Murphy said. “So it's important that we understand whether there's a crash, whether there's an incident of any kind, (so) we can respond quickly.” "Plan ahead. Go do your grocery shopping a week in advance. Go fill your gas tanks a week early. Do all these things so you're not out there trying to compete with the general visitor population,” said Crook County Emergency Manager Michael Ryan.
I've been thinking about this possible overload of the transportation infrastructure. Now...add in the possibility of wildfires in the area....firefighters, emergency responders, evacuations, all struggling through the traffic, etc. A few days ago, Southern and Eastern OR received a first round of monsoonal lightning/moisture that typically shows up about this time in the summer...then works its way north into WA. Could be interesting!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:15 pm 
In 1979 I arranged to be on the Vashon ferry at the height of the eclipse just short of totality. It was cloudy, so it goes. Still cool cool.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:43 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
my brother has sent me text from a few local newspaper articles. It sounds dire. This is what they are telling people who live there:
Hiker Mama wrote:
..."What we're anticipating is the capacity of the highway will be met. There will be no available space for people to drive in,” Murphy said. “So it's important that we understand whether there's a crash, whether there's an incident of any kind, (so) we can respond quickly.” "Plan ahead. Go do your grocery shopping a week in advance. Go fill your gas tanks a week early. Do all these things so you're not out there trying to compete with the general visitor population,” said Crook County Emergency Manager Michael Ryan.
Yes, this is what they are telling folks in Kentucky and Tennessee according to my sister. Get your groceries like you were expecting a snowstorm. Apparently a lot of people are coming in from other countries and outlying areas. Most schools will be closed. ~z

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 4:39 pm 
The city of Columbia, SC is expecting a million people to arrive for the event as are some other cities in the US. I've got a hotel reserved in Charleston that is both close to the Costco and to this place that I must try : Craft Conundrum After the eclipse is over I'm getting on the road ASAP since I have to get to work.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.