Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bacon-Blum Traverse questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 12:15 pm 
i doubt anyone is paying attention to this thread anymore, but if you've been reading comments to the last month's worth of TRs, you see a very common them of: "oh, thanks for the report. this trip goes to the top of my list!" "awesome trip. it's on my radar!" "thanks for the TR. i think it's time i finally get up to this peak" just sayin'...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 3:29 pm 
iron wrote:
i doubt anyone is paying attention to this thread anymore, but if you've been reading comments to the last month's worth of TRs, you see a very common them of: "oh, thanks for the report. this trip goes to the top of my list!" "awesome trip. it's on my radar!" "thanks for the TR. i think it's time i finally get up to this peak" just sayin'...
I can understand your point (we all want to protect the wilderness), though I don't necessary agree with it exactly for a few reasons. - Sharing trail information is not the root cause of the problem. Root cause is population and demand growth. It is more productive to affect the root cause. - If root cause is not addressed, wilderness will be destroyed more and more anyway. We all learned to appreciate it from some or other source. Sharing information helps people learn and appreciate wilderness more. Instead of hiding information, it seems better to remember to promote sustainability, leave no trace, tread lightly, etc. Sharing tracks actually helps that. If more people stay on one route it minimizes the damage around. - Positive change can also come from institutionalized protections. Places like Luna peak are already protected from too many people, because of national park permit system. They have limits on how many backcountry camping permits they issue for each area each day. We can lobby to add more and more of the wilderness to protected areas equally from industrial logging, home construction or farming, or overuse by hikers and campers.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 3:37 pm 
kitya wrote:
Root cause is population and demand growth. It is more productive to affect the root cause
Hmmm. Do I detect a bit of common sense here?

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 3:41 pm 
pimaCanyon wrote:
There will always be only a small fraction--a very very very small fraction--of hikers who are willing to do the hard work required to hike an off trail route in the North Cascades. Not only do you have to be good at map reading and route finding, but you also have to be in excellent physical shape and have the endurance to do so. It's the effort involved and the resulting very small percentage of folks who have the desire to put out that kind of effort that will keep these places relatively wild.
I disagree. Don't underestimate the physical effort that folks will put out to reach a beautiful and remote area. It's intimidation and fear that keeps them away. Fear of getting lost and being intimidated with route finding. For example, if the area we are talking about in this thread was flagged the entire way, and then sprayed all over the search engines about how easy the route was to follow, folks will put up with extremely steep ascents to get there. Not only that. The mentality is..."If I'm going to exert alot of physical effort, I'm going to make the best of it and stay at least one night" Maybe 2, 3, or 4 nights. This is when there are problems with trashing the area. In my opinion, don't flag a remote destination. Don't provide GPS tracks in TR's. But please share these special places with the rest of us. Be cryptic in the TR. I love pretty pictures and stories of adventure.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 3:43 pm 
The solution is to not have any more kids. I'm doing my part...

iron

iron
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 3:47 pm 
kitya wrote:
- Sharing trail information is not the root cause of the problem. Root cause is population and demand growth. It is more productive to affect the root cause.
please let me know when you hold the reigns on controlling population growth. meanwhile, i'm pretty sure we all individually control what is posted here and other internet sites.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 3:50 pm 
iron wrote:
please let me know when you hold the reigns on controlling population growth. meanwhile, i'm pretty sure we all individually control what is posted here and other internet sites.
We also individually control about what we do about population growth. I do my part too: http://www.vhemt.org/

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 9:39 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
I commend you tom!! No way in hell I'll have kids either! Too many freaking people on the planet

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 6:41 am 
I've already been on this route, but I wish none of us on NWhikers had been born.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 7:03 pm 
Matt Lemke wrote:
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
I commend you tom!! No way in hell I'll have kids either! Too many freaking people on the planet
What we need are more good people. Make some good babies and do your part.

iron

iron
PostThu Aug 03, 2017 8:41 pm 
the north cascades was once a WILDERNESS. is it time to hush up re the north cascades on nwh to keep it so? should we stop trashing the NCNP wilderness with reports? figuring it out ourselves like the old-timers did (mano a map) is exhilarating. others may say “my TRs and photos are my way to be the new online beckey.” could it be enough to enjoy your trip figuring it out on your own without “beta” and seeing no one? and keeping it that way? do you want to turn your secret paradise into disneyland? maybe in the future, consider only sending reports on trips south of stevens pass (or the mexican border) and keep the north cascades as god intended.