Forum Index > Trail Talk > What should I climb next?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kweb

kweb
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 1:59 pm 
My hiking/climbing partner and I have penciled in a 4 day Wonderland trip in mid July. There's a very good chance that the snow will push that trip back a bit. Should that happen, we'll use that time to climb instead. But climb what? I've already climbed Daniel, St.Helens, Adams, Hood, and Rainier multiple times. Eyeing Baker, Glacier, Eldorado, Stuart, and Olympus. What would be next on your list for mid July?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 4:41 pm 
kweb wrote:
Eyeing Baker, Glacier, Eldorado, Stuart, and Olympus.
All worthy objectives. If I had to pick 5, I'd put Olympus and Eldo at the top of the list. I've long said that if you're gonna climb only one mountain in WA, Olympus is it and it should go well in mid-July this year. Be prepared for extensive glacier travel and do your research. You might be tempted to go straight up to the summit block from the Snow Dome but note that is often blocked by a problematic shrund. Most parties go through Crystal Pass then up the false summit (7989) then down to the false summit/true summit saddle then up moderately steep snow to the summit block. Which summit rock route you take might be determined the condition of a moat/existence of snow bridge to the traditional "standard" class 4 route (starts with move to left from snow). There are 3 commonly done routes up the summit block, all 3 of which have been discussed in other threads. Eldo is a more straightforward climb and plenty o' TRs with good info.

kweb

kweb
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 pm 
Thanks for your input Steve. Eldorado and Olympus are the two I was most leaning towards. I'll keep an eye out for fresh beta as the time nears.

kweb

kweb
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 3:06 pm 
We went to Olympus for a 3 day climb. Pure awesomeness.