Forum Index > Trail Talk > Long Shot for advice!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
toms_strat

toms_strat
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 7:49 pm 
A few years again on a holiday weekend I asked for a special hike my wife would Love! After the "You're nuts". "No such thing as lost trails" a Miricle happened and I got a message from a member who guided me to the most amazing hike Iv'e ever done! I care for it and cherish it every time I return! So now!? My son is in the Navy, just moved to Sultan Wa. Wife, son and a lot of responsibility. I'm the old slow hiker, he's the younger healthy non hiker. On Aug 12th I'm taking him on His first backpack! One night, father and son who have struggled to "bond". I've looked at a ton of my classic go to places (Echo lake is leading). I've searched off highway 2, his area and found mixed results. So, I'm asking. If you have a spot a father (carrying most of the gear in his 70l. Pack). And a son(Who I am most proud of but unsure how to dazzle!) and you'd like to suggest, share or encourage us to consider feel free to post, message or otherwise connect, please by all Means do!??! Also, many happy trails to every member of this forum! You've pushed, encouraged and enticed me to go farther, be better and appreciate all we have more than you'd ever know!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:19 pm 
It would be best if you can advice on how many miles you think you can cover. It really depends on that. You're going to be limited at 5-7 miles on the first day, but you have many very scenic options if you could cover just slightly over 10. I'd very seriously consider bugs. It seems to be a bad year. Camping somewhere in a mid-elevation valley with a lot of standing water would not be my kind of bonding! wink.gif

toms_strat

toms_strat
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:54 pm 
Good point! I'd say 5-8 miles to consider my sons miles. Not a firm, but a general number. Bugs, I live in Jungle Juice, but I'd consider modifying to make it epic for my son! I'm sure we are both capable of many more miles, but I wantit to be a catalyst for his future outings if that makes sense?!

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:41 pm 
Echo Lake is mostly a nice wooded hike next to a steam through the woods. The lake is nice enough. (There's an alternate access trail from Corral Pass) If you could go mid-week, I'd suggest Dewey Lake. Flowers and big views of Rainer on the Naches Loop. Very nice lake, with lower distance. Up closer to you is Top, Pear, and Peach Lakes. There are several ways in, but the eastern 1506 trail would be the easiest. (Benchmark Mtn GT 144)

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau