Forum Index > Trail Talk > We all should be outraged this has not been solved
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Frank

Frank
PostFri Jul 10, 2009 7:14 pm 
I did not mean to stir up a hornet's next with this post, and if I have offended anyone with it, I apologize.However, I for one am outraged that this has not been solved. I believe the FBI should have been involved from the beginning because it happened on federal property. I believe that the fact that the killer of these two very nice women, just out for a day hike, is still on the loose is unacceptable. I don't know what has been done, but it hasn't been enough.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Jul 11, 2009 6:13 am 
Frank wrote:
I did not mean to stir up a hornet's next with this post, and if I have offended anyone with it, I apologize.However, I for one am outraged that this has not been solved. I believe the FBI should have been involved from the beginning because it happened on federal property. I believe that the fact that the killer of these two very nice women, just out for a day hike, is still on the loose is unacceptable. I don't know what has been done, but it hasn't been enough.
We don't live in a perfect world, Frank. Physical evidence at the scene was sparse. Remote crime scenes often don't provide many clues, if any, regardless what someone might have been led to believe by CSI. The FBI has been investigating a homicide with which I'm familiar for about 8 1/2 years, and that one happened on Queen Anne Hill. They even think they have a suspect, but haven't made an arrest. They have shell casings. Bullets. They believe they know what kind of gun was used, with the wrong ammunition. They have searched the "suspect's" house(s) and even jailed another guy as a material witness for three weeks, but they still haven't made an arrest. They have physical evidence, they even think they have a suspect and a motive, and that's a hell of a lot more than anyone has from Pinnacle Lake trail. Mary Cooper and Susanna Stodden, far as anyone can tell, never harmed a soul. Quite the opposite. They were not simply well-liked, they were loved by the people whose lives they touched. Who would want to harm such gentle souls? This was a crime for which there is no ready explanation. Makes no sense to anybody. So don't go thinking the FBI could work a miracle.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Jul 11, 2009 9:03 am 
I have hope that this case will one day be solved. Remember the Green River killings, most of those were eventually solved.

dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostSat Jul 11, 2009 11:34 am 
Pütz-in-Boots wrote:
...it could very well be that they do have a strong suspect ... It just might be that they don't have enough evidence for a conviction.
I don't want to contribute to any rumor mill, but in fact I heard from a reliable source (sorry about the news media cliche) that that theory is actually quite possibly true. Not even enough evidence for an arrest, much less a conviction.

We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking. --Finis Mitchell
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jul 11, 2009 11:46 am 
Dave, I well know about that case. I knew the victim, who was very close to some members of my close circle of friends and family. The feds diligently worked that case and even offered a $1,000,000 reward, but no indictment, so far. The FBI claims that approximately 37% of US homicide cases go unsolved.

gyngve

gyngve
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 5:40 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Id think that by now we could all agree that there are simply some crimes that will never be solved! The police aren't supermen. They cant invent or make up evidence that isn't there or doesn't exist.
Well, there is the LAPD... tongue.gif

mountaineer ordinaire

mountaineer ordinaire
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 6:39 pm 
Ripple wrote:
I'm assuming that LE has checked the whereabouts of Gary Hilton at the time of the murders. Gary Hilton is the guy who has been convicted of killing a hiker in Georgia last year...
Your assumption is correct: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080111/NEWS01/175992620/0/SPORTS

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 7:36 pm 
sten wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
<snip>I was outraged at the taking of these two lives and I'm now saddened at/by the reality that this crime will never be solved.
may bpj, let's say may never be solved not will never. & in the meantime, hope like hell they get the break they need to solve it even though we know the likelihood decreases every day.
Granted. May never be solved. Let's pray that somehow the case will be solved. We want the person/s responsible. Justice for these two woman and we dont want this to happen to anyone else.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 11:13 pm 
I wonder if LE has investigated convicted killer Gary Hilton in connection with the Pinnacle lake tragedy? He killed 3 hikers in the Appalachian mountain area in 2007 and another hiker in Florida a month later. The first victims were an older couple hiking in Pennsylvania in Oct of 2007. I was watching a true crime show tonight and it made me wonder... https://the-line-up.com/gary-hilton-trail-of-death-part-i Probably not connected since it happened across the country, although the timeline seems ironic. Such a tragic loss, RIP.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 12:17 am 
Jordan wrote:
This is an unfortunate event and not to turn this into a gun post, but this is why I carry a gun when I hike.
Like I've said 1000x, I worry more about insane people in the woods than wild animals. There was than crazy guy who killed people up by Colville circa 2005 I believe too, they investigated him but concluded he may have been on the east coast at the time or something. How many other crazy people are there out there that aren't getting caught? How many of these hikers who disappear met someone like that? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacker_murders How many more that don't have wikipedia articles? My guess: pin lake was a gang initiation or someone crazed on drugs (obviously pot).

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 12:27 am 
KekistaniProphet wrote:
Jordan wrote:
This is an unfortunate event and not to turn this into a gun post, but this is why I carry a gun when I hike.
Like I've said 1000x, I worry more about insane people in the woods than wild animals. There was than crazy guy who killed people up by Colville circa 2005 I believe too, they investigated him but concluded he may have been on the east coast at the time or something. How many other crazy people are there out there that aren't getting caught? How many of these hikers who disappear met someone like that? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacker_murders How many more that don't have wikipedia articles? My guess: pin lake was a gang initiation or someone crazed on drugs (Probably meth).
Could be..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:43 am 
Said while having a gun on his hip in his profile pic. Great guy.

none
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 4:53 pm 
Sheesh. Amazing new heights of pedantic nitpicking achieved. It is an outrage, and very sad, and I hope they get a break in the case soon.

chefothefuture

chefothefuture
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 4:56 pm 
This weighs on me since I have been working on brushing out 4021. That and the Pinnacle Lake trail is necessary to get to one of my favorite places. Given the stuff I find on the road side (other than brush...) the road is frequented by quite the cross section of society :-(

Chico

Chico
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 11:24 pm 
So are we supposed to be mad at Law Enforcement for not solving this? I'm sure they are doing their best with limited resources.