Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hokaa One One Tor hikers (review)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jun 18, 2015 1:04 pm 
Wow. You can't argue with that kind of logic so I won't.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 29, 2015 11:49 am 
Lighter, faster, stronger. I took the Hokaa One Tor Speed Mid on their first backpack.
Lighter, faster, stronger. I took the Hokaa One Tor Speed Mid on their first backpack.
So i finally got my second pair of Tor Speed Mid hikers last week and took them on there first backpack. Up to this point I had been on quite a few dayhikes, but no backpacks where the weight of a pack is substantially more and the pack and terrain would surely expose the shoes weaknesses. Again I was going into this somewhat skeptical, but knew they had performed well in the past. The shoe (now a close out to make way for the improved version available July 1 2015 and 100.00 off) was as I had experienced before stable, supportive, and more than well cushioned giving me excellent traction on all surfaces including rocky wet stream crossings, loose low and high angle dirt, grass, scree, talus, boulders, slab rock on ascent or descent, and they kept my feet cool and dry even with prolonged hiking, light rain and when I submerged them in a stream whose depth I miscalculated. My feet and knees felt great after the trip. Once with the full pack on i stepped on a loose stone and partially rolled my left ankle but the mid height upper supported my ankle and I was able to recover without incident. So I like this shoe as it is right now and it has held up to what has been thrown at it. I only hope the new version expands on this shoes capabilities.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jul 07, 2015 4:09 pm 
Just got the New version of Hokaa One 2015 Tor Ultra's. I'll do a review once I stress test them.
2015 Hokaa One Tor Ultra
2015 Hokaa One Tor Ultra
2015 Hokaa One Tor Ultra
2015 Hokaa One Tor Ultra
Sweet !

Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Sep 28, 2016 4:37 pm 
Was looking at these sweet trail runners Saucony Xodus today. Side hilling and the lack of toe box protection were my concerns. Low tops side hilling with mega tread on day hike???

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Sep 28, 2016 8:50 pm 
I now have est. 50 days on my Hoka Summits (leather/GTX) upper. FTR, I love my Hoka Mafate trail running shoes and Hoka Bondi road running shoes. The good: --Very comfortable on trail --Great cushioning --Smears okay on slabs The bad: --No edging power off trail, terrifying at times for off-trail conditions that go easily in my other hiking boots, e.g., forest duff, firmish snow, scree, sidehilling on anything that requires any edging --My Hoka membranes failed after est. 20 days use and started to leak near the toe (similar experience with GTX membranes) Conclusions: --Niche trail shoe --Fine trail hiking shoe if it fits, you want a cushy ride and staying on trail --Although marketed as a boot, it's really just a Hoka trail running shoe with a high top, not a bad thing on trail --Not an off-trail shoe due to lack of edging power --eVent membrane no more durable than GTX membrane; maybe breathes a bit better than GTX (but nowhere near as well as all leather upper) --Could be a fine long-distance backpacking trail shoe if you like the Hoka ride bu t want a high top and can deal with the limited breatheability of a ePTFE membrane

drilldaddyo

drilldaddyo
PostWed Sep 28, 2016 9:16 pm 
I own a pair of the Hoka one one ultra hi "wp" and have used them since April of 2016. I do find them very comfortable and really like the soft cushioning of the sole. They are absolutely not waterproof or really anything close to it. I even hesitate to say water resistant. My feet were soaked on a rainy hike in the Bitteroots of Montana over the 4th of July. Please note that I was also wearing gaiters during this hike. The Hoka website is full of reviews on this boot which seem to echo the comfort of the boots but point out the lack of water resistance. My two cents. Randy

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Sep 29, 2016 8:08 am 
I own a pair of Hoka one one Mid Tor boots. I can usually get membrane boots to stay waterproof for a long time. These were water resistant for a few hikes before the waterproofing was leaking like a sieve. But, they are currently the only boot I have found that is compatible for hiking with my recently fused ankle. Just the right balance of rocker bottom and stiffness. Nice and roomy for my wide feet too. At this stage in my fused ankle recovery, I literally could not hike without them. Luckily I now live in a very dry area where dust is the main concern. I also own a pair of Hoka one one Bondi4 shoes, and the rocker bottom helps me with my mobility with an ankle that has no rocker in it. Walking around the house without the Hokas is a major limp, and I can almost walk normally with them. But, I think the shoes have too much squishy cushion and as I got more mobile after surgery, I find the squish can feel unstable at times. They also have a huge footprint. I mean really huge. So I tend to catch my feet on things where I think I have clearance. Perfect.... not by a long shot. But the only thing that works for me at the moment. by the way.... a bit of trivia one one is NOT pronounced by like the number, but is actually pronounced "ona ona", based on the language it is from. Even most sale persons get that wrong.

friluftsliv
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 29, 2016 8:57 am 
boot up wrote:
"one one is NOT pronounced by like the number..."
well... if they wanted Americans to pronounce it "ona ona" they should have named it that way, because Americans aren't going to pronounce it "ona ona" when it looks like "one one". there was more than one Detroit car manufacturer that tried something along the same line - people don't care if they wanted it to sound like "coupe-A", when it's spelled " coupe' " (even with the accent mark above the e) it will be pronounced "coop". only one that's succeeded along that line has been Howard Schultz, who's managed to get a whole bunch of people to order their coffee "grawnd-A" because they think it makes them sound cool. one one! wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 7:11 pm 
Where do you guys buy these at? Are the sizes mostly true to form?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 7:40 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Where do you guys buy these at? Are the sizes mostly true to form?
REI, although they are very limited on which models they carry. They have a nice return policy as insurance in case you blow them apart on the first hike. I now have 3 pairs of Hoka's. One running shoe type and two hiking boots. They are holding up surprisingly well for being so lightweight and looking so frail. Although I would not do a lot of off-trail scrambling with them. I will say I am a bit biased because the mild rocker takes a lot of strain off my foot with the fused ankle. I love my Hoka Summit mid. The only reason I had to buy a follow up pair is I sized them for recovering from my fused ankle, wearing then socks and getting them a bit on the small side for a lot of "street wear". As I started to extend my hikes I started to get bashed toes, only because they were sized a bit short. Apparently the Summit mid is replaced by the Tech mid. I am NOT happy with this "update". Biggest issue is they did away with the fast-lace hooks on a high top boot. WTF? A PITA to loosen the laces for putting on and off, especially with a ankle fused into a right angle. On the plus side the Techs are unreal how light they are for a mid height boot, and they have an extremely grippy compound on the soles. Lugs are light but they seem to wear surprisingly well and grip shockingly well for such a light tread, in most conditions. "Waterproofness" is almost a joke. Luckily I live in the desert now, so its not an issue. It does help to spray the outer with a waterproof treatment of some sort to keep them from wetting out. But either REI, or if you are SURE of size and model, direct from Hoka. Sizes are probably in line with many other hiking boots. i.e. every boot is different. The Hoka boots are generally a medium to slightly wide width. Many of their shoes are narrow. They have a couple models in extremely wide widths.

friluftsliv
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 6:51 am 
boot up wrote:
Although I would not do a lot of off-trail scrambling with them.
I just destroyed a pair last weekend after there 3rd backpack / scrambling trip so while durability off trail isn't great they do perform well. I think if your doing mostly trails your OK. At 12 oz. a pair you can't expect longevity my shoes start as hiking / backpacking / scrambling and end up as lawn mowing foot wear. I do have a pair that lasted a year with sporadic use but the upper is shot now.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 8:40 am 
wildernessed wrote:
boot up wrote:
Although I would not do a lot of off-trail scrambling with them.
I just destroyed a pair last weekend after there 3rd backpack / scrambling trip so while durability off trail isn't great they do perform well. I think if your doing mostly trails your OK. At 12 oz. a pair you can't expect longevity my shoes start as hiking / backpacking / scrambling and end up as lawn mowing foot wear. I do have a pair that lasted a year with sporadic use but the upper is shot now.
Which model of Hoka boot were you using for scrambling? If scrambling is in your plans, the ridiculously overpriced Tor Utra would probably be the minimum to use. (or get a real hiking boot) If you are using the Hoka running shoes for scrambling....well then you really are an optimist.... rolleyes.gif

friluftsliv
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 9:23 am 
I have tried the whole line plus trail runners , the Ultra was a drastic departure from the earliest version Hoka offered which initially was not sold in the U.S. but overseas I bought the originals through Amazon in England. I was disappointed in the "Ultras" the boot design with a stiff heel, the leather flimsy, and the rounded lacing system loosened easily cutting across the top of the foot and causing me a temporary tendinitis. I had hoped for more but in the end I got rid of them. The Summit laced well (flat laces), had good cushionng, but after three dayhikes the leather split out and I was done with them. Tor Techs I tried at the store and never got good heel lock down, the Speed Hikers are a mid version of the Speed Goat with a better arch and have been as good as it gets and I realize they have a short life with as much off trail and scrambling I do my feet feel good and the 4 mm lugged vibram sole just grabs the terrain so I can and am willing to shop for sales when they occur and pay the price for that. My personal experience having very narrow feet, a knobby heel, and normal mid foot is that they work for me and are worth it vs. the current alternatives. I hope the new line looks more at hiking / backpacking / scrambling and is built more functional and durable. For easy to moderate trails I would use the hoka Speed Goat with it's cushion, wider base, and 5mm lugs. I will rotate through the Challenger ATR and Bondi also. The Challenger ATR has been a good hiking and trail running shoe.

pula58

pula58
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 9:30 am 
I use an orthotic to give me more arch support. Otherwise I pronate, which causes knee pain/problems. So, I am wondering if a shoe like these Hoko's would work for me? Do these shoes have much in the way of arch support? Is there enough (vertical) room inside the shoe to allow the use of an orthotic?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:59 pm 
They have zero arch support. You have to supply it. I have found plenty of room for thick insoles with my wide, flat feet. Definitely try them on with your orthotics.

friluftsliv