Forum Index > Trip Reports > From Russia, with Love (Elbrus)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:03 pm 
I've been home a couple of weeks, so felt it was time I put up a report. I recently traveled to Russia to visit St. Petersburg, Moscow & attempt Mt. Elbrus, the highest point in Europe. From Wikipedia: Mt. Elbrus is the highest mountain in Russia and in Europe, and the tenth most prominent peak in the world. A dormant volcano, Elbrus is in the Caucasus Mountains in Southern Russia, near the border with Georgia. *I had trouble with Flickr writing this- so pics are not labeled individually, just Album name- sorry.* My trip began with arrival in St. Petersburg. At welcome dinner I met my climbing partners & guides. The group included several fellas from Canada, an Italian, a Serbian, and Americans from Texas, Colorado, & east coast. Some were on a 7 Summit quest- one had done Everest already. My guides were Vern & Carole Tejas- who are legends in the guiding & climbing world. Vern is coming out with a book in August called Seventy Summits. I felt privileged and honored to be climbing with them. borank.gif They were personable & so knowledgable about the region. They also love guiding & helping people reach their goals, and it shows. We spent the first few days touristing around. A visit to The Hermitage provided 'overstimulation' due to viewing priceless works of art for hours & hours. We also visited the Peter & Paul Fortress, with tombs of Tzars Nicholas & family.
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
After St. Petersburg, we flew to Mineral Vody. Flying domestically in Russia was challenging. Trying to figure out what gate we were to go to was, um, confusing.
Elbrus
Elbrus
In the airport, I saw interesting things- a Putin calendar
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
And chips in flavors never before seen!
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Flight was delayed several hours, then had long, scary drive up Baksam valley to our hut in Terskol.
Elbrus
Elbrus
The driver spoke no English, and was speeding so much & passing recklessly, all while a Russian Bollywood movie was playing overhead. We were all terrified. eek.gif We finally resorted to Google translate to ask him to slow down. He did- somewhat. The next days were acclimation hikes near the Georgia border.
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
This was an interesting way to slow down an avalanche!
Elbrus
Elbrus
After a few days in the valley, we ascended to our "pods" or barrels at about 12.700'.
photo 4
photo 4
photo 1
photo 1
We would spend the next several days here, doing further acclimation hikes, self-arrest practice, etc.
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
The self arrest day was exhausting because we did every position over & over- for hours. "Falling" and then hiking back up the 50-60' over & over- at 13K. Finally it was summit day- we left the pods at about 3am. It was bitterly cold with high winds. I had on: thick wool base layers, a light puffy, a hard shell, a wool hat, two hoods, THEN a BIG puffy over all that, with hood up. Face mask, googles , 8000 meter mittens with hand warmers. Double boots with toe warmers.
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
And finally, after many hours of climbing, some on fixed lines, we summited. Most made it. cool.gif
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Some had a sense of humor, even at this altitude.
Elbrus
Elbrus
We had 3 physicians on the trip one of which did the Docs without Borders. After summit day we descended back to Terskol. The next day we went to a "fishing cafe" where one catches your lunch! Super fun!
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Then it was back down the twisty road to fly to Moscow. We spent a few days here as well. It was quite cosmopolitan- and huge- over 14 million people. Visited the Kremlin, Red Square, and many other sites. Then an insanely early departure- 2am! for a 6am flight. Moscow has worse traffic woes than we do! This was a really enjoyable trip both culturally and for the adventure. I enjoyed Russia- it's people, it's history and especially the Baksam valley- so unspoiled.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:29 pm 
Congratulations! You do the coolest stuff.

BarbE

BarbE
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:37 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
Elbrus
Elbrus
Not a bit surprised you'd be leading the pack biggrin.gif Awesome trip and pictures! Congrats on tagging another of the Seven Summits. up.gif

Distel32

Distel32
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 5:14 pm 
up.gif

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 5:40 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
And finally, after many hours of climbing, some on fixed lines, we summited. Most made it. cool.gif
Elbrus
Elbrus
Wow! Just wow. The places you go. Congratulations! ~z

Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 5:53 pm 
"The hermitage provided over stimulation" The Jordan staircase blew my mind walking in. So much great art. Counted 27 Rembrandts in one room alone. Wonderful country to visit.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 6:22 pm 
Nice!! I really like the blowing snow backlit climbers photo cool.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 pm 
Looks great! Very interesting trip. Glad you had such a good time. I guess winter trips here will now be mild compared to that cold summit day!

Zloi

Zloi
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:17 pm 
Congrats on a challenging summit! Can you clarify what your summit date was and who your summit mates were? Was this a paid-guide climb? (You can PM me if you don't want this conversation public.) Thank you.

geyer

geyer
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:43 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
Elbrus
EPIC

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 9:10 pm 
Wonderful! up.gif I might have some questions for you after I return home from my current trip, if you're open to that. Hope to get there sometime in the next few years.

Chico

Chico
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 9:41 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
Elbrus
Elbrus
That is so funny.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 11:53 pm 
Great trip and photos. How was the beer in Russia?

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostFri Jul 28, 2017 6:29 am 
Great TR, congrats on Elbrus. I too loved traveling in the old USSR when I was there many years ago. up.gif up.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jul 28, 2017 7:43 am 
wow. that is so awesome for you! congrats on having a great time! I still can't believe the Alaskan legend Vern Tejas is still guiding--wowza.

Art is an adventure.