Forum Index > The Trading Post > FS: Globalstar Satellite Phone & Accessories- $300
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostThu Jun 15, 2017 10:55 am 
When The Big One hits Seattle, (in geologic time, we are long overdue for a major earthquake in this area), everybody is going to find out that their cell phones are useless. Why? Because even if the cell towers are still functional, the lines will instantly jam with cell traffic and you will not be able to use your phone. This happened on a smaller scale in Bellingham when the pipeline exploded. At the time, the Bellingham Fire Department relied on cell phones during emergencies. Well guess what? Their phones were useless during this crises, which was minuscule in comparison to what things will be like after a major earthquake in the Puget Sound area. Sure, there are more cell towers now and they have way more capacity, but there are also WAY more customers using them, too. In short, your cell phone will be useless during a real crises... when you might need it most. What will still work during a regional catastrophe like an earthquake is a sat phone. So if you have an important job and/or have the means to afford a sat phone to make contact with your family during an emergency, this hardware is a very small investment. (The real cost is in the service plan with Globalstar, of course, not in the hardware. But to someone reading this, that cost will be worth it.) So here's what I'm selling:
This handheld satellite phone (the GSP-1700, manufactured by Qualcom) is the current model offered by Globalstar. I purchased this unit in 2016 and used it for about 200 minutes in total. The phone, one Lithium-ion battery, wall charger, and manuals retail for $499. I am selling my phone in a bundle with some accessories. Included are TWO ADDITIONAL Lithium-Ion Batteries (which retail for $70 each) and a car charger (which retails for $40.) Accessories never go on sale, so that's the price you'd pay for them anywhere. Everything is in excellent condition and works perfectly. I used the phone in the Southwest US and I was surprised and amazed at the voice clarity when I spoke to friends and family back home. Seriously, the clarity of this phone was often better than my Verizon cell phone! I'm selling it because I'm ending my early retirement to go back to school, and then to a new job, so I won't have time to go on long solo adventures in the wilderness. All totaled, the bundle I'm selling is worth $679.00 USD at current retail prices. Please see what these things go for on ebay if you don't believe me. $300 USD cash takes the whole bundle.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 5:46 am 
Globalstar bought the phone back from me, including one Li-On battery and the wall charger. I still have some nice accessories to sell including TWO additional Lithium-Ion Batteries (which retail for $70 each) and a car charger (which retails for $40.) Accessories never go on sale, so that's the price you'd pay for them anywhere. If you have a Globalstar GSP-1700 phone, it's always nice to have a spare battery or two in case of an emergency (and a way to charge them when your power goes out.) Everything is in excellent condition and works perfectly. $100

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jul 28, 2017 12:55 pm 
Just curious how much they bought the phone back for? I know someone else in the same boat after they jacked up rates.

fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostFri Jul 28, 2017 7:52 pm 
For the GSP-1700 (which is Globalstar's current phone), they will supposedly send me a check for $200. (I just got their return box in the mail today.) Since I was basically asking $200 for the phone in the first place, this seemed like a good deal.