Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jumbo's Leap Dayhike, Exploring the O'Neil Historic Hiking Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 1:33 pm 
jumbo track and elevation
jumbo track and elevation
I decided that I needed to go see Jumbo's Leap for myself. We did this as a day hike, but thanks to our slow pace and side explorations we did not make it out before dark. I've been off trail up 4 stream before, but this took us an extra mile out. We found 4-5 OT markers from the boyscout excursion in the area in 1980 something. One the way out we took a much higher route following the markers but then we lost the route and spent much time scrambling back down the steep hill. I think maybe the route was behind the hill away from the river. I used the hike as an opportunity to introduce a Wisconsin native to the Olympics. She was impressed saying they were the biggest trees she has ever seen. More on my blog: http://mosswalks.blogspot.com/2017/07/four-stream-at-crossing-anyone-who.html
The Blue Blue Blue
The Blue Blue Blue
Near Jumbo's Leap
Near Jumbo's Leap
O'Neil trail marker
O'Neil trail marker
4 stream at the mouth
4 stream at the mouth
Confluence of 4 stream and the North Fork Skokomish
Confluence of 4 stream and the North Fork Skokomish

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bright River
goslowgofar

Bright River
goslowgofar
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 pm 
I went looking for Jumbo's Leap with Bob Wood, Helen and John Stout in about 1971. Bob Wrote the Press Expedition. We did not find it. There was very little detail in the press Exp. diaries about the actual place that they lost their dog. The general area is known. But If you have been around the Olympics for very long, you will also know how much erosion there is and how the river courses change. These photos could be where the dog leapt into the stream and they could also not be.

..-and rest thee by many brooks and hearthsides without misgiving. Rise free from care before the dawn and seek adventures. Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and the night overtake thee everywhere at home. HDT
Chico

Chico
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 8:11 pm 
But if the river is running through rock as the photos show, the river's course is not going to change in a thousand years.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 8:17 pm 
Chico wrote:
Quote Options Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:11 pm Chico wrote: ¨ But if the river is running through rock as the photos show, the river's course is not going to change in a thousand years.
Exactly. It's really not difficult to find the general area of the confluence of 5 stream and the Skok. Everyone thinks that is where Jumbo's Leap is, this is the first time I have ever heard anyone say otherwise. The two rivers flow in rocky canyons and that point. The river is not going to change course in this spot barring a major earthquake.

Bright River
goslowgofar

Bright River
goslowgofar
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 8:52 pm 
As Geologists say river courses and lakes are the most impermanent features in the landscape. Did you see the Bridges on the Suittle river after the floods of 2003 which were up in the air ( no approach either end); and with the river running somewhere else. I have done a number of repels in the Olympics and I have to say sometimes I wonder of there is any rock at all in some of the chloss of the Olympics, apart from areas predominently pillow lava Robert Wood very much wanted to find Jumbo's Leap; he had gotten the trip together and we were definitely in the right place. I was on a trip to Olympus environs with Bob Wood as well to try to find the Copper Box, we did not find it. But it is an actual object and may be found eventually. Jumbo's Leap is conjecture. Bob Wood was a very careful historian, and a good climber, and did a lot of cross county and route finding in all parts of the Olympics - he was not a light weight. So which of the photos that you have there is Jumbo's leap?? Or are they all candidates?

..-and rest thee by many brooks and hearthsides without misgiving. Rise free from care before the dawn and seek adventures. Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and the night overtake thee everywhere at home. HDT
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 10:32 pm 
Bright River wrote:
Robert Wood very much wanted to find Jumbo's Leap; he had gotten the trip together and we were definitely in the right place. I was on a trip to Olympus environs with Bob Wood as well to try to find the Copper Box, we did not find it. But it is an actual object and may be found eventually. Jumbo's Leap is conjecture. Bob Wood was a very careful historian, and a good climber, and did a lot of cross county and route finding in all parts of the Olympics - he was not a light weight.
So where was this "Right Place". Jumbo's leap is mentioned in Both Fisher's and O'Neil's journals. The Copper Box could very well have been conjecture. They did not lose their dog. The journal entry from Fisher says the dog ascended the other side.