Forum Index > Food & Grub > Is your Mac n' Cheese poisoning you?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 7:15 pm 
Pthalates found in powdered mac-and-cheese mixes
Quote:
Phthalates have been found in macaroni and cheese mixes made with powdered cheese. The chemical migrates into food from packaging and equipment used in manufacturing and may pose special risks to pregnant women and young children.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 8:05 pm 
gag.gif cooked noodles a big glob of butter a little flour milk grated cheese melt butter in pan. throw in a little flour and stir stir stir stir quickly to make a roux. (you can add salt and pepper at this point.) pour in a little milk and stir stir stir stir over medium heat until it starts to thicken. don't let it boil! it will scorch and your sauce will separate. stir constantly. when it begins to thicken, add the grated cheese and stir stir stir stir quickly so all the cheese melts and you get a thick creamy cheese sauce. dump the noodles in and stir gently to coat all the noodles with your yummy cheese sauce. remove pan from heat so it doesn't scorch. takes about 5 or 10 minutes, depending upon how much you're making and how fast you are. basic cheese sauce is a no-brainer. friends don't let friends eat boxed mac & cheese.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 8:35 pm 
Backpacking food is different from regular food. While backing calories are good nutrients meh unless you are on arctic expedition. Chances of developing pellagra, scurvy, or beriberi are nil. Chances of exhaustion are high. Instant white rice cooks in a cozy with boiling water brown rice requires a pot. If you really need nutrients pop a pill. Manna on the JMT was nagging an envelope of Mac and cheese at Muir Trail Ranch hiker bins. hungry.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 9:26 pm 
Digging into an article on the subject in Consumerist
Quote:
Average phthalate levels were more than four times higher in macaroni and cheese powder samples than in hard blocks and other natural cheese, in fat of products tested.
So the cheese powder in the little packet picks up more than a block of cheese you grate yourself ... But it makes me wonder -- what is the absolute level ?

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 11:00 am 
I will always hold a special place in my heart for that delicious powdered cheese mix. I think it's worth it.

Chico

Chico
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:31 pm 
Ski wrote:
basic cheese sauce is a no-brainer. friends don't let friends eat boxed mac & cheese.
I've been making Beechers! Oh so good!

christensent

christensent
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 7:19 am 
“The phthalate concentrations in powder from mac and cheese mixes were more than four times higher than in block cheese and other natural cheeses like shredded cheese, string cheese and cottage cheese,” 4 times higher than naturally occurring in cheese, so basically trace almost non-existent amounts I'm guessing. And if eating 4x natural cheese is just as bad, then having a mac and cheese is not very bad! That article has a lot of red flags on maybe being not-so-scientific. If I could get a penny for every article where someone finds an unstated quantity of potentially dangerous chemicals in a food source...

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 8:42 am 
So there are chemicals in food that disrupt testosterone production and you guys don't think that is related to the recent surge in transgender and just all around whiny bitchy men in the USA? Nah probably just a co-incidence, not a globalist social engineering project right?!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 10:28 am 
Nah, the pandemic of feeling fests is a social disease transmitted by contact with folks of particular political persuasion. I'm with the folks above questioning the pseudoscience train here. 4x a harmless trace is still harmless, I'd wager. Now, some will argue they run their lives on the precautionary principle, which is fine if you want to run your own life via such a method...but the funny thing is, if it's a real thing, it already fails it's own test. The principle has never been proven to be without risk.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers