Forum Index > Trail Talk > Been Buzzed?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
some names

some names
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 3:56 pm 
Been buzzed? We have been hiking more often on weekdays lately and have noticed some somewhat predictable flyovers. A little checking on Cal Topo’s FAA sectional chart map layer, and some online searching on VR1355 provided some info . . . Here are a few links: Million Dollar Ride VR 1355 EA18G Growler IR344 We’ve listed some time points that might be of interest: Million Dollar Ride by Jacob Schalles: 2:26 Bumping Lake 3:25 Fife’s Peaks (L) 6:42 Stampede Pass and Keechelus Lake 7:04 Mt Baldy (Easton) (L) 7:23 Kachess Lake 7:33 Little Kachess Lake 8:36 Lemah Mtn straight ahead 8:49 Chimney Rock (L) and Summit Chief (R) 9:25 La Bohn Lakes (L) 9:45 Terrace Mtn (L) 9:52 Marmot Lake (L) VR 1355 by David Yenior: 6:33 Enter Rimrock Lake (Hwy 12) 7:10 Round Mtn ahead 7:20 Hwy 12 – Spiral Butte ahead 7:55 Tumac Mtn (R) 8:15 Twin Sisters Lakes 9:06 Bumping Lake 9:33 Old Scab Mtn (R) 10:01 Fife’s Peaks ahead 12:50 Stampede Pass 13:07 Lake Keechelus ahead 13:28 I-90 on right 13:35 View ahead to Denny Mtn, Snoqualmie Mtn, and Kendall Peaks 13:43 Turns right, into Gold Creek valley 13:57 Alta Mtn (R), Chikamin Pk ahead 14:04 Mt Thompson (L), Huckleberry-Chikamin (C), and Alta Mtn (R) 14:15 Huckleberry Mtn (L), Chikamin Pk (R) 14:34 Flys between Overcoat Pk (L), Chimney Pk (R) 14:38 Summit Chief ahead 15:11 Mt Hinman (L), Mt Daniel (R) 15:20 Hinman-Daniel saddle 15:28 Pea Soup Lake 15:35 Jade Lake 15:44 Terrace Mtn (C-L) and Marmot Lake 15:51 Spark Plug Mtn straight ahead 16:13 Square Lake 16:52 Cowboy Mtn straight ahead 17:03 Josephine Lake 17:10 Mill Creek 17:28 Rock Mtn straight ahead 18:05 Theseus Pk (L) 18:56 Indian Head Pk straight ahead (with Sloan Pk visible) 19:07 Cross Bryant Pk (Poet’s Ridge) 19:25 Indian Head Pk (L), Glacier Pk (C), Tenpeak Mtn (R) 19:51 Lightning CreeK 20:11 Glacier Pk straight ahead 21:26 Mt Pugh (L), White Chuck Mtn (C-R) 21:36 White Chuck Mtn straight ahead 22:33 Suiattle River valley straight ahead 23:08 Thornton Lake and White Chuck Mtn again (R) 24:28 Suiattle Mtn and Illabot peaks ahead 24:52 White Horse Mtn (L) and Sauk River valley 25:33 Mt Higgins straight ahead

somesignaturehere and somesignaturethere
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 4:25 pm 
On my recent trip to La Bohn Lakes there were 3 x 2 fighter jets during the day (Monday). On our Mac Peak trip one or two flew over once (Saturday). Me and my dog find it a bit scary to be honest, but my toddler was fascinated.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 5:37 pm 
I love the free air shows!

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 9:50 pm 
kbatku wrote:
I love the free air shows!
Me too

Sewellel

Sewellel
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 7:15 am 
Once, after describing looking down from Snowshoe Butte at two fighters in the valley below, someone I knew told me that he used to fly that route, and told me all about VR 1355. I always watch for planes in that flight path now. I love seeing those pilots flying low and hugging the valleys!

Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 7:42 am 
Wild POV from pilots perspective.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 3:51 pm 
some names wrote:
have noticed some somewhat predictable flyovers
Predictable? The ones I have witnessed were typically about 11:00am... You guys?

"You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains" - Hunter S. Thompson
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 3:58 pm 
We always think it is kind of cool. Your experience may vary.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 4:53 pm 
It scared my brother, but I didn't mind, although it surprised me too the first time I heard it. Kind of reassuring in a way.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 5:12 pm 
Happened 3 times to me already! Once while descending mt daniel via the SE shoulder, the damn pilot was belly up between cathedral rock and i while 50ft below me!! Another on Bismarck pk, the 2 aces buzzed the summit about 50ft off the top while i was half a mile out and 1000ft below lol!! The last was when i was all alone on Sloan pk, he came from Baker and did a giant horeshoe turn around me, 200ft above me 300yds away!! So gnarly!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 6:46 pm 
Got three favorite stories: 1. Had just launched in a float tube in Dog Lake on White Pass and one came right over the bridge and right over me. Never heard it until it was THERE. Seems like he was no more than 100 feet off the deck. Breathtaking. 2. First serious dayhike with my son, 5, to Twin Sisters Lakes. We're there 5 minutes and one comes smoking right over the lake and over the top of us. Waggles his wings. My son has been hooked on hiking, fishing and all things military from that moment. Also helped that we reeled in three decent fish that day at a place I rarely catch more than 8 inchers. 3. Slogging our way back up the Raven's Roost trail to the Roost on the last stretch. One comes smoking down the Crow Creek Valley then cuts up over the Roost and right over my son, gives the wing waggle again. I admire the skill and stones it takes to fly one of those things.

ScottP

ScottP
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 8:25 am 
Sitting on top of the east summit of Daniel, we waved at the pilot as he flew by close enough to see him wave back.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 8:32 am 
ScottP wrote:
Sitting on top of the east summit of Daniel, we waved at the pilot as he flew by close enough to see him wave back.
Same thing happened to us years ago nearby, on the summit of Cathedral Rock.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 9:27 am 
I've seen them a bunch of times over the years. Seems to me one of their favorite routes is up the Napeequa. Michael Lewis and I saw them come in below us at Little Giant Pass years ago. About a month ago we were coming over the pass between the headwaters of the Suiattle and the Napeequa (backside of Tenpeak) and one came out of nowhere, maybe 100 feet above our heads.

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 11:52 am 
I had a private vintage warbird show when I soloed the S ridge of Glacier Peak maybe 20 yers ago. What's that sound?! A... a 4-engine piston-driven aircraft?! You've only heard that if you're over 60 or notice the occasional B17 visiting Seattle.
you can accumulate a really interesting backyard bird list in Seattle.
you can accumulate a really interesting backyard bird list in Seattle.
I instantly recognized the B24 wing and slab-sided fuselage, but it had a single tall tail fin. The bombardier's nose bubble was obvious. I thought I'd built models of all the WWII bombers, but this was like an hallucination... one of those flashbacks they said would come? It was a firefighting bomber from the east side, working on a fire near Darrington. On the 2nd flyby, I was about 9000', and it was eye-level, and close. Consolidated PB4y2 Privateer Naval patrol bomber adapted from the B24. This is Chico's avatar, BTW. One broke up in 2002, with 2 fatalities, and remaining aircraft were grounded. When we were climbing the lower practrice wall at Squamish, somebody started a grass fire at the road. A helicopter flew by with a loudspeaker, warning everybody to clear out. We rapped down and helped locals put sprinklers on their roofs. Then these crazy testosterone-poisoned Canadian firefighters came in a with 2-engine aircraft, dumping retardant -- flying right along the base of that cliff with all the powerlines. Now that was an air show.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.