Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 9:38 am 
I am not much of a cereal guy and one of my favorite breakfasts is cooked fried rice, scrambled egg, green onion, and ham bits with a little Braggs Liquid Aminos for seasoning. Has anyone successfully dehydrated these, or something like this, and packed them in a pouch together? And then hydrated them for breakfast? How did it turn out? Any hints? I did a search and found bits and pieces, but no mention of the whole shebang being done up for backpacking. I appears that the scrambled eggs will be the challenge. Powdered dried eggs still need a pan to cook, so those are out. Dehydrating cooked scrambled eggs seems like the crux of this dish. Thanks for any input or ideas.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 4:49 pm 
There are egg crystals like Ovaeasy. On scout outings; we've cooked individual make your own omlets (w/ real Eggs) with zip locks in boiling water. If you had a big enough pot you could rehydrate your meal with near boiling water, and than cook it further in a boiling pot to finish the eggs and rice. You could cook the different parts in different zip locks and combine if the cooking times are really different.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 5:23 pm 
I dehydrated ham once and it did not rehydrate well. It stayed very tough. Freeze dried would be the best option for that if you can find it. I have experimented with dehydrating different meats and ground meat seems to be the only kind that really works.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 6:15 pm 
^ yeah. ground meat works way mo' betta than whole cuts. I tried a lamb stew with whole cuts (lamb loin cut up into little cubes) and they were like little hockey pucks after dehydrating. you might consider the island favorite: spam eggs and rice:
spam_eggs_&_rice
spam_eggs_&_rice
(of course, you have to do the eggs over easy to make it right.) I've got one of those little plastic egg carrier things for backpacking, but you can only use small eggs in it or they get crushed. maybe sarbar will notice this thread and have some suggestions.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 2:25 pm 
I second the opinions regarding the hockey-puckness of dehydrated ham (or other meats that aren't ground) and the suggestion regarding dried eggs (like OvaEasy). If you don't want to use powdered eggs, you can dehydrate partially cooked scrambled eggs. The main thing is you want to kill off any harmful bacteria like Salmonella (which reside in virtually all eggs -- even free range organic eggs), which requires raising the temperature to a minimum of 160 degrees internal for a minute -- at which point the eggs will start to set (almost scrambled). Mix everything together, then dehydrate.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 7:36 pm 
There is cured thin sliced Jamon Iberico or Serrano, which would be the more edible option to add to your scramble. No need to rehydrate, or heat throughly since its cured. There may be US cured hams as well, that could be deli sliced.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 am 
Those are some good suggestions, thank you folks! I have 2 goals here: 1) No frying pan to heat and eat, just boil in bag. 2) reasonably palatable. I was hoping to dehydrate the ingredients on my own but it looks like I better source some freeze dried scrambled eggs for this. A dry ham, like the Jamon Iberico, Serrano, or even prosciutto sounds excellent! Instant rice should work fine, and dried green onions or chives for a little color. Season with Braggs Thanks folks.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Aug 03, 2017 9:22 am 
Here is some freeze dried scrambled eggs with ham and peppers which might work for you. Here is some freeze dried green onions. I can attest to these being good, but YMMV. The rice is a different matter, You can get instant rice but it probably won't taste like fried rice. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 11:19 am 
Thank you Rumi Those look like just the ticket. Yes, some compromises must be made. The rice won't be perfect, but the Braggs adds a degree of "Umami". In the mountains I am always hungry in the morning . And, as my Grandpa Henry always used to say "Hunger is the Best Cook!"

mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 5:08 pm 
And it was Dick Proenneke who said, "Hunger is the best seasoning"

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 11:19 am 
Hmmmm....My Grand Father was born about 10 years before him and spent a fair amount of time in Alaska. I wonder if he and Proenneke ever met?

mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 4:46 pm 
huh.gif All I know is I want to have clever words of wisdom like that when I'm an old man.