Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Mt. Si
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jan 07, 2005 3:41 pm 
Most of us know that Mt. Si was named after "Uncle Si". His full name was Josiah Merritt. But he was perhaps the first deadbeat dad of Washington Territory. He lived on an eighty-acre farm in Ohio before becoming a 49er when the gold-rush was on in California. He never hit pay dirt there and stumbled toward the Carriboo (spelling at that time) Country in British Columbia. He never made it to Canada and staked a claim on land betwen the south and middle forks of the Snoqualmie. He had left his wife and three children and didn't write home once before returning after an absense of 23 years to encourage her to sell the farm and come to the Snoqualmie area. She came and the now six-foot tall son accompanied her. Their daughter and son-in-law came out in 1875 but they took the mom east of the mountains where after a year she passed on. Well if you are in the neighborhood you can visit the grave of Josiah Merritt in the old Fall City cemetery. A more worthy visit would be to the grave of Chief Kanim who lies in the same cemetery. His grave is easy to recognize as it is the only one marked with a small totem pole. Source: Washington Historical Quarterly 1931; Pg 213-215

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jan 07, 2005 4:15 pm 
Good story. up.gif Reminds me of the yarns IBEX used to spin. Of course his stories were, er, slightly less factual, but entertaining nonetheless.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jan 07, 2005 5:40 pm 
The article in Washington Historical Quarterly was written by William H. Taylor, the founder of the town of North Bend. His name is immortalized by the Taylor River. It seems as if yet again it is proven there is nothing new under the sun. On the dedication day for the Mt. Si Trail a race was held for the fastest time to the summit and back. Albert S. May of Renton clocked in at 1 hr 24 min for the roundtrip time. Chest beaters everywhere should salute him for the tradition he started.

Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostFri Jan 14, 2005 9:11 am 
Interesting stuff, thanks. I know this is the wrong thread for such a question, but does anyone have a current report on the snow conditions on Mt. Si? I'm making a pilgrimmage to The Emerald City this weekend, and I'd like to squeeze in a little exercise. wave.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
hyak.net

hyak.net
PostFri Jan 14, 2005 10:35 am 
I work in Snoqualmie I do see the top 500' has some snow. Might be around 3" or so, nothing too bad. Its been pretty cold (20s-30s)so I don't expect the trails to be muddy, but could be slick up near the top.

mvs

mvs
PostSun Jan 16, 2005 1:15 pm 
Mt. Si snow
I hiked up Friday morning via the old trail, finding compact snow/ice on the trail above 3000 feet. Very walkable, just a little slippery on the way down. The east side of the Haystack was free of snow, but it looked like the usual way up the gully on the west was pretty frost-feathered. It was really cold and windy so I left it for another day.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostMon Jan 24, 2005 5:47 pm 
I think you got your EAST and WEST a little mixed up, I could be wrong though... suuure.gif