Forum Index > Gear Talk > Are these boots too narrow?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Desertsp

Desertsp
PostSat Aug 05, 2017 8:54 pm 
I just purchased a pair of Solamon Quest 4D boots, and am not sure if they fit correctly. (https://www.rei.com/product/881783/salomon-quest-4d-ii-gtx-hiking-boots-mens). I've been wearing them around the house all evening and my feet are KILLING me!!! The boots seem to fit well according to the usual rules of thumb, with enough room to slightly wiggle my toes, a snug heel, and no pressure points. The problem seems to be that the boots are just too narrow specifically around the middle part. It feels like I have a ridgid band wrapped around the arch of my foot. I even removed the insole and that feeling remains. Other than this particular source of pain, I really like the boots. They were by far the most stable feeling of the four or five boots I tried at REI, so much so that I was convinced to go with the higher top compared to the looser fitting and more comfortable trail runners I would normally wear hiking on easier terrain. So does it sounds like I got a half-size too small? Is this brand just too narrow (the heels fit just right, most brands are too loose there...I have small heels and skinny ankles)? Could I modify an overall wider boot to make the heel area more snug? I'd appreciate any advice on finding a better fitting boot!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Aug 05, 2017 10:51 pm 
Going a full size larger will normally get an extra 0.1" in width. A half size likely wouldn't make a lot of difference in width, but fit is very subjective. I would get both feet measured for length and width. The standard width for men's shoes is D. There are some brands that offer variable widths. New Balance is my goto for wider shoes. Merrall offers most of their boots in wides as well.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 12:05 am 
Solomon are pretty notorious for being narrow. Have yet to find one that fit me in the toe box. Well made, but if they don't fit they don't fit. I have the reverse problem from you normal heels with a slightly wider toe box than normal. Problem being when the toe box fits the heels don't and vise versa. I can get some low volume insoles like the super feet carbon and can make some shoes fit when otherwise no dice. Have you tried playing with some of the higher volume insoles.

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 5:48 am 
No I've never tried insoles before. So can they adjust (reduce) the volume around the heel?

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 am 
Ok...doing some more googling, and I believe the problem is that the boots have too much arch support. Going to head back to REI later today and try on everything else they have, and if none of the other brands fit...I might end up exchanging the Quest 4d's for a larger size, and then attempting to reduce the arch support using carefully applied heat to remold the plastic. Wish me luck lol And why did I wait until five days before leaving on a trip to get new boots?

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 10:58 pm 
They can and they can't depends on the size of the original insoles that came with the boots. Potentially new insoles can fill up extra space in the shoes or give you more space or even raise or lower the heel in the boot allowing you to lock in the ankle or eleminate pressure points. All within reason of course. I shop and the Rei downtown Portland. They have a bunch of different super feet demos that you can try with your boots or trail runners. It's a flagship store and I don't know if the satalite stores do this. The different colors of super feet variey in volume and the amount of arch support they give you. Have someone look at your feet and tell you which of the colors would be good for your feet. If the super feet don't work their are other quality brands of insoles that might make the boots work for you. Find someone at the store who really knows what they are doing to help you.

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 9:19 am 
Thanks Adhorn for the info on inserts - sounds like they can make a big difference! I wound up practically camping in the shoe dept at my local REI yesterday, and finally found something that fits: Oboz Bridger Bdry They run small, but after going up a size there's enough room for my toes without too much heel slippage.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 11:58 am 
Not to be a wet blanket, but it sound like an REI employee does not know how to properly use a brannock. The shoe you have switched to, Oboz, are constructed with a C heel and D width for men; when they sized up for front room your heel sliped a bit, ideally your heel should always stay secure. There is a lot that goes into properly measuring a foot, it's not just about length and width. I need to complete detailed measurements on about 25% of the customers who come to our store to ensure a correct fit and it saves time. Oboz is a great brand and they will plant a tree with your purchase. I hope they work for you.

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 12:18 pm 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
Not to be a wet blanket, but it sound like an REI employee does not know how to properly use a brannock. The shoe you have switched to, Oboz, are constructed with a C heel and D width for men; when they sized up for front room your heel sliped a bit, ideally your heel should always stay secure. There is a lot that goes into properly measuring a foot, it's not just about length and width. I need to complete detailed measurements on about 25% of the customers who come to our store to ensure a correct fit and it saves time. Oboz is a great brand and they will plant a tree with your purchase. I hope they work for you.
You may be right about the REI employees. They never did anything to confirm my shoe size, pretty much taking my word for it. I also overheard another woman ask an employee if her shoes fit, and the response was basically "as long as they're comfortable, they fit". To give them credit, they were being hammered pretty hard by customers...at least four or five other people were also looking at shoes and there were only two employees available, who kept getting interrupted on their earpieces. And I made them go into the stockroom about two dozen times eek.gif Glad to hear a second person vouch for Oboz! I'd never heard of them before yesterday...and only tried them on after one of the REI employees suggested they would have a narrower heel than many brands.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 9:27 pm 
My take ... Solomon shoes and boots do seem to run narrower. I have never found a pair that fit me. Oboz shoes have been a great disappointment to me. I have had two pairs and both had durability issues with both the uppers and soles. YMMV I wrote the company of my experience and received an unsatisfying reply. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Aug 09, 2017 3:31 pm 
Desertsp wrote:
The boots seem to fit well according to the usual rules of thumb, with enough room to slightly wiggle my toes, a snug heel, and no pressure points. The problem seems to be that the boots are just too narrow specifically around the middle part.
I had some Bugaboo II boots some years ago that initially felt fine, but after a while I decided that they were too tight in the area just behind the toe joints. However, I just kept wearing them, and eventually I needed toe surgery. I've always suspected my continued wearing tight boots for a year or so contributed, or caused the foot problems. And that's what I can offer for you to consider...

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology