Forum Index > Stewardship > Wolves need our help NOW!
Previous :: Next Topic  
Humptulips

Humptulips
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 4:45 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski wrote:
I'm not sure who or what your comment is directed at, but there have been no wolves translocated (or "artificially reintroduced") in Washington State. They all got here on their own.

True, but a lot of the wolves in the NW can be traced back to the wolves transplanted in Yellowstone. It is a little disingenuous to say they didn't have some help. Not that you said it but I hear it often.
I think this is what people that mention them being transplanted are referencing.
I'm mot sure it makes much difference now because there are some drifting south from Canada and at this point who knows where a particular wolfs lineage started.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 9:51 pm 
Thursday July 27, 2017 16:50 PDT

WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM

New update on Washington wolves

A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website. link here

-WDFW-

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 6:57 pm 
Monday July 31, 2017 17:06 PDT

WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM

A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website. ( link here )

-WDFW-

--------------
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 03, 2017 7:27 pm 
Thursday August 03, 2017 15:19 PDT

WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM

A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website. ( link HERE )

-WDFW-

--------------
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 12, 2017 8:45 am 
Thursday August 10, 2017 14:52 PDT

WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM

Gray Wolf Update

A new update is available on wolf-management activities by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. See: http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/updates/update_on_washington_wolves.pdf

-WDFW-

--------------
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 12, 2017 9:03 am 
nwhikers member hbb posted this in another thread, but I believe it needs to be posted here as well

A War Over Wolves

published in the Seattle Times Thursday August 10. written by Lynda Mapes.

Lynda Mapes, reporting for The Seattle Times wrote:
Wolf management is expensive in Washington, costing $973,275 in 2016 alone. That includes $134,999 spent to kill seven wolves, including a pup in the Profanity Peak pack after the wolves killed or injured 15 cattle grazing in the Colville National Forest.

Cost to kill each wolf in the Profanity Pack: $19,286.00

==

Other than a "form letter" which did not address even one question asked in my letter to WDFW of 07/20/17, and in spite of my following up on 07/28/17 with a letter asking my elected State representatives to see if perhaps they might be able to get some answers, I have yet to receive any response from WDFW.
I am amazed Ms. Mapes was able to get the dollar figures above, which unfortunately don't show us the whole picture: how much money in total has been spent on this project at both the federal and state levels. I doubt those numbers above include the money spent on "wolf recovery" by USFWS. (or NPS, USFS, BLM, and DNR.)

In the meantime, your State legislature can't seem to get a budget passed, and we can't seem to adequately fund our public education system.

--------------
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 4:45 pm 
Ski wrote:
Cost to kill each wolf in the Profanity Pack: $19,286.00

Pretty silly expenditure. The WDFW *could* put an emergency hunting season, and instead of losing money, they could easily make a bunch selling special tags and licenses. Result would be the same. Wolves would be removed.

--------------
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer." - D.H. Lawrence
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 7:22 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
Pretty silly expenditure.

"Wolf "management" has cost $5.2 m in this past biennium alone."

This money was spent by "Various state and federal sources."

(source: L. Mapes, 08-12-17)

(* Still have yet to receive any response to my letters of 07-20-17 and 07-28-17 from either WDFW or any of my three State legislators. *)

--------------
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 7:23 pm 
Monday August 14, 2017 17:30 PDT

WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM

Update on Washington wolves

A new update is available on wolf-management activities by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. See: http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_wolf/updates/update_on_washington_wolves.pdf

--------------
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Stewardship > Wolves need our help NOW!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: