Forum Index > Trip Reports > I guess I'm getting old...but not done yet! :-)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Aug 11, 2017 9:19 am 
I tried climbing Mt Adams last September with my son and both grandsons, but we turned around at the tent sites near Morrison Creek due to snow/rain/hail. Ok, that was a good exploratory trip. We'll get it next year.... So, I tried again this week (Monday, 8/7/2017) with my eldest grandson (he's 15 and full of energy). Dinner the night before was quite good, quite the relaxing place for a meal.
Trout lake Country Inn
Trout lake Country Inn
Geared up and ready to go.
Parker and me at trailhead 183
Parker and me at trailhead 183
thumbs up
thumbs up
trail along ridge west of morrison creek
trail along ridge west of morrison creek
Poor visibility until we go to around 8-9K.
morning view of Mt St Helens
morning view of Mt St Helens
car is about 5 miles that way!
car is about 5 miles that way!
We setup camp, had dinner (MH of one flavor or another - "ok", but not great).
Got up early the next morning and after another MH meal, off we went.
Tuesday morning start
Tuesday morning start
However, this time we turned around at 10,029' (according to his iphone GPS). I don't know why, but I didn't "feel it". By 10K, my grandson was tired of it all also (but as is typical, he never said a word, just kept plugging along), but I didn't feel like continuing up the steep snow field so I asked if he wanted to turn back. "Yes" so we stopped, looked around a bit then went back down.
view from above tent site
view from above tent site
Yeah, we only had about 2200' and maybe another mile to go, but hindsight now tells me that I had FAR too heavy a pack. So next time (if there is a next time), I'll only carry enough water to get to Morrison creek, then from there on I'll melt snow. And I have a much lighter camp stove now. So, we'll see...
Summit is another 2200' up, and about a mile distant
Summit is another 2200' up, and about a mile distant
Parker and I decided to "call it" around 10K. Time to go back down.
Parker and I decided to "call it" around 10K. Time to go back down.
As a 'burger and a good beer at "Everybody's Brewery" in White Salmon was calling to me, and I've seen the landscape from the top of 3 good sized WA mountains already, I "called it". About then he said "yeah, this isn't fun anymore". Last night he said "grandpa, I think I could do it again". I laughed as I've said the same thing each time after I've descend a mountain declaring "that's it, no more". I always seem to have big plans for more mountains to explore, so we'll see what actually happens. I now have all winter/spring/summer to prepare again as I didn't really do any leg/stamina preparation for this trip. I was busy with various family obligations, and I thought I was in good enough shape and so on. However, the trek back down this time didn't bother me at all as compared to my first summit descent (Rainier in 2012), so *something* is improving. It was a good experience though, I saw all the interesting tent sites along the trail up to the lunch counter that I've read about, we camped in one, and it was quite a fine place to setup camp. Tried out a new MSR Reactor stove (works GREAT), and an MSR water bag which worked out MISERABLY - (a letter to them is forthcoming - update: two letters sent with no reply beyond the automated "we got your e-mail"...hmmm). Regardless of how tight I tried to cinch up the small cap on top of the large one, it leaked! All over the contents of my pack the night prior to the climb. Fortunately I was in a motel with laundry (Trout Lake Inn - EXCELLENT motel), and was able to dry all before retiring for the night. And, by chance I saw a small silicone "gasket" laying on the ground as we were unpacking at the trailhead! It fit a waterbottle cap, so I used that for a cap instead of the factory one. Worked fine. Always something to be learned, it seems. Now, after thinking about it a bit, I believe a good part of the reason I turned back was that I just didn't feel like spending another night in the tent. We could have muddled our way to the summit, then back to camp by early afternoon/evening, stayed another night and the trip down would have been quite comfortable. So, yet another lesson learned. Onward! Well, as a bit of a "consolation prize", my son, brother and I climbed Spencer Butte in Eugene, Oregon the other day. And to make it a bit better, we hiked/climbed the west side trail (steep with rock scramble). And even though I grew up there, I had never even been to this small peak, so this was a good day. Another "peak bagged"! lol.gif The good thing is that unlike the time years ago that my brother attempted it, we encountered no rattlesnakes! eek.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Aug 11, 2017 10:11 am 
Moonspots...I'm getting old too. ( 65) Not able to do things I used to take for granted. I do think there's a great benefit to listening to what ones body is telling you. I was out with WTA at Soda Springs near Bumping Lake crosscutting and notice I don't have nearly the former endurance on the saw. So, I listen and switch off cutting with others more often and sit down to admire the woods and the other sawyers styles of cutting. It's all good. up.gif up.gif cool.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Aug 11, 2017 8:48 pm 
I have hiked, climbed, and biked since before I was a teenager, which equates to parts of seven decades. Although I am not yet a totally tottering trembler, I have noticed that the familiar trails seem steeper, 30 pounds on the back is like the 50 pounds of old, and a twelve mile day is a pretty big day ( it used to be a cool-down after a 50 miler). However, I don't think I have ever enjoyed the natural world more than in these later years, physical infirmities notwithstanding. Part of this contentment derives from doing trail work, helping at trail races, giving novices a good taste of mountaineering, and in other ways giving to others in activities that have given so much to me.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Mikey

Mikey
PostFri Aug 11, 2017 8:53 pm 
Conditioning at higher altitude will help. I assume that hiking at high altitude in North Dakota might not be easy to find. Remember that the atmospheric pressure decreases about 1" mercury for every 1000 ft increase in altitude so the about 12,000 ft Mt Adams has about 29.92-12 = 17.92" mercury pressure. Note that the air pressure in a commercial aircraft is supposedly kept at an air pressure equivalent to 8000 ft elevation. Experienced climber Pat Chamay died June 24 1968 of high altitude pulmonary edema on Mt Rainier at about 10,000 ft elevation.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Aug 12, 2017 7:43 am 
lookout bob wrote:
...and sit down to admire the woods...
I did a bit more of that the other day while on trail up the mountain, and yes, it IS enjoyable. It's just that I'm not accustomed to HAVING to do so...and admitting it is a bit of an adjustment. My 66th was two days prior to heading up.
brushbuffalo wrote:
However, I don't think I have ever enjoyed the natural world more than in these later years, physical infirmities notwithstanding.
Yes, now that I generally have the time for doing so, same here. Thanks guys.

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostSun Aug 13, 2017 7:48 am 
I think about this a lot. I'm less than half the age of the people in this thread, but my career allows me to talk to people of all ages in the last days or moments of their lives. There is always a common theme of "don't waste your youth" or "quit making plans and start making moves" which I try to take seriously. People are generally pretty honest when they know they are going to die. So. Get out and go. I'm trying to pursue my interests as actively as possible, while hoping I'm still game (and lucky enough) to have a crack at the mountains in another 30-40 years. I've run ultras with guys in their 60s, and I feel like I need to unlock the "secret". Anyway. I don't think I said any of that in an eloquent manner but that's what your post made me think of.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Aug 13, 2017 12:34 pm 
PorcupinePhobia wrote:
I've run ultras with guys in their 60s, and I feel like I need to unlock the "secret".
I think a lot of the "secret" is genetics. Keeping moving is important too, but genetics always wins out. Some people rolled the genetic dice and came up lucky, being able to keep hammering away easily into their 90's. I look at the history of my gene pool and figure I better enjoy what I can in my current mid '60's. Not any sign of my forefathers making it past late 80's with much if any mobility left. Get it while you can, but try not to become another "recovered hiker was in their '60's" news headline.

friluftsliv
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 pm 
boot up wrote:
I think a lot of the "secret" is genetics.
I've thought about this a bit and yes, genetics and physical ability are important, but I think 75% of success is due to mental drive. So if I were being honest, that's what kept me from summiting this time. Good thing to learn/admit to myself.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:29 pm 
The secret is to accept what your limits are becoming and keep getting out while trying to stay within them. That's one of the reasons I don't mind going on multi day solo trips. It makes you completely flexible and able to change your plan and/or completely bail if that's what's called for (I do it all the time). But the important thing is getting out. BTW, great TR.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:53 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
The secret is to accept what your limits are becoming and keep getting out while trying to stay within them. That's one of the reasons I don't mind going on multi day solo trips. It makes you completely flexible and able to change your plan and/or completely bail if that's what's called for (I do it all the time). But the important thing is getting out. BTW, great TR.
Know, and accept your limits. Right, good observation. The good thing is, as my physical limits are slowly diminishing, my "mental limits", or mental drive is increasing. I can see more of what needs to be done than 30 years ago, and slowing down a bit is one aspect of that, allowing further success in this regard. I was considering a solo trip again next year (so I don't have to concern myself with someone else's conditioning, well-being, etc), and I think you've hit upon a good idea there. Now, to just convince wife/son that it's a good idea to let dad strike out on his own. Wife already doesn't like any of this "mountain foolishness"! lol.gif Maybe instead of carrying 4L of water, I'll just sub 1L of wine, or something....then slow down a bit and enjoy the view more. up.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 6:03 pm 
moonspots wrote:
Wife already doesn't like any of this "mountain foolishness"! lol.gif Maybe instead of carrying 4L of water, I'll just sub 1L of wine, or something....then slow down a bit and enjoy the view more
And get a Garmin InReach Exlorer or InReach SE. That way you can let your family know where you are at all times (and they can communicate back to you at anytime). I have the original SE and that is the main reason my wife has no problem with me going out solo.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 10:22 pm 
moonspots wrote:
"...slow down a bit and enjoy the view more..."
... for which you owe no one any explanations. we are always the same age on the inside. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 10:46 pm 
moonspots wrote:
genetics and physical ability are important, but I think 75% of success is due to mental drive.
Mental toughness; a very comprehensive aspect of physical endeavors. I learned an important lesson at Western States (100 miles). I was bonking at mile 75, barely able to control my legs. I thought I was done, as I was fueled and hydrated, so when I met my crewman I leisurely walked to the aid station telling him the reasons why I couldn't go on. When I got there and told a volunteer that I was pulling out, she said "are you absolutely sure, because you still have 3 minutes before the cutoff time." I reluctantly decided to continue on, picked up a pacer in the process, and before much time expired I had a complete recovery and was blasting through the woods feeling as if I had just started. As I drew within spitting distance of the last timed checkpoint, the horn went off. I was forced to retire from the race at mile 85. I DNF'd because of lack of mental concentration and toughness....if I had just pushed through the pain I would have finished. The next year, armed with more experience and an attitude of "they'll have to drag me from the course" my mental attitude kept me ahead of the cutoff times, despite violent puking coming out of the canyon and other difficult moments. My pacer collapsed at mile 92 but I finished with 30 minutes to spare, right on my preplanned schedule. Mental attitude and toughness are paramount, not only for getting past physical "moments" but for drawing on an experience bank that can prove invaluable in tough situations. Attitude (and experience) trumps a pack full of "just in case" every time.

I desire medium danger williswall.com