Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rattler Hiss(?) on Pk. 1,525', 07.24.17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 6:27 pm 
A few wks. ago I decided to bag an unnamed pk. above Steele Canyon Produce, in/near the town of Jamul. I parked off of Proctor Valley Rd., & entered into the SD Wildlife Refuge. I'm accustomed to heading the other direction, to Callahan Pk., but this is on the north side of the rd., the high point of a range of hills sandwiched between 94 & Proctor Valley Rd., w/Miller Ranch Rd. coming in from the west. There's a trail for getting to the base of it, then one must go xc thru the brush up a hot south-facing slope to the summit. I bagged this pk. on a Monday afternoon after going to a couple appts./running errands in La Mesa. It was a warm day when most other San Diegans were either @ work or too much of a heat wuss to go hiking. More for me. tongue.gif up.gif On the way up:
TH
TH
That's it
That's it
Gettin' a little closer
Gettin' a little closer
Closer still...
Closer still...
Nearing the ridge
Nearing the ridge
View east
View east
On top:
Views
Views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
Summit views
On the way down, as I made my way through the path of least resistance, I suddenly heard something move in the bushes & then a loud hissing noise. My 1st thought was 'cat' but then thought no, prolly snake. I instinctively bolted on ahead to create distance from it, then looked back to see if I could figure out what it was. I didn't see anything or hear any rattling, so who knows. It remains a mystery, but I bet it was a red diamondback rattlesnake. Only cuz that's usually what I see when I'm hiking. eek.gif Back @ the car:
Route
Route
Stats
Stats

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message