Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pete Lake and Spectacle Lake 8/11-8/12/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Aug 12, 2017 6:36 pm 
We did an overnight up to Spectacle Lake via the Pete Lake trail and the Lemah Creek ford. The trail is very well signed and relatively easy to follow. It took about 5 hours both ways. It was tougher than I expected, especially the final mile or two climbing the switchbacks to the lake, which was steep and exposed and, at this time of year, very hot. Thankfully WTA has done a great job recently maintaining this difficult to hop over by my standards. The descent to Spectacle from the PCT is also surprisingly steep, and the footing is not terrific in places. Lemah Creek ford is up to my knees. Just a note - the turn off for Spectacle is signed and, contrary to what your maps and GPS may indicate, is farther past the Delate Creek footbridge than you might think. Be assured, there is a very visible sign, and you'll get to it eventually. Camping was good. An early start is highly recommended to get a good spot as this is a popular destination especially at this time of year. Thankfully all of our neighbors were polite and courteous and even with what turned out to be quite a few people camping things were very calm and quiet. Due to the lack of moisture in recent weeks the camp ground is very dusty, and all of my stuff needs a good cleaning. The isthmus clearly has suffered from some overuse over the years but there were lots of good spots on both sides, and some good spots for swimming with good footing. While we could see the smoke from the British Columbia fires, visibility was actually quite good especially earlier on in the day. The climb to the lake left us totally beat, so we lounged around camp for the rest of the day, enjoying the views and watching thunderstorms develop over the valley far below us. The hike out is much better than the hike in but is still difficult. It rained lightly on the way out, which was absolutely fantastic given all the hot weather we've been in lately. Very scenic and beautiful, a lot of work to get there, but totally worth it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostSat Aug 12, 2017 7:06 pm 
Nice pictures! One of my favorite spots for a swim...

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Nice pictures! One of my favorite spots for a swim...
I jumped in immediately after dropping my packs at my camp site. I'd say that was close to high point of the whole summer, especially after that taxing ascent to the lake. The water was a good temperature for swimming.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 13, 2017 10:56 pm 
Definitely some nice campsites with the various nooks and crannies around the lake. Beautiful place.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 8:17 pm 
Nice. I haven't been to Spectacle Lake yet because it doesn't seem like it's on the way to any peaks, but someday my priorities might change.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 8:39 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Nice. I haven't been to Spectacle Lake yet because it doesn't seem like it's on the way to any peaks, but someday my priorities might change.
Couldn't you use it as a base camp to tackle the Queens or Lemah? I know some have tried to access Lemah from there and ran into difficulties.