Forum Index > Gear Talk > sewing with cuben
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pcg

pcg
PostSun Aug 13, 2017 1:49 pm 
Every ten years or so I decide I need to lighten my gear and the time has come again. For starters I’m looking to make a custom waist bag to carry camera gear in front, where it is easily accessible. I have a cheap bag I'm fairly happy with design-wise and plan to take it apart to aid in pattern making. I want a material that is lightweight, strong, and waterproof. Cuben has come to mind, but I have no experience with it. Is it difficult to sew? Know a good source for cuben fabric? waterproof zippers? Thanks for your tips and suggestions…

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Aug 13, 2017 5:53 pm 
You can construct using the special tape which supposedly bonds extremely well rather than compromise the material by sewing. I have thought about doing similar projects. ZPacks sells materials but there are other sources available. Good luck and let us know your progress. Rumi EDIT: When looking for sources of cuben, be aware that it now comes with a different name since it was bought by Dyneema. It now is officially Dyneema Composite Fabric. It's confusing sometimes because there are other fabrics with Dyneema attached to its name.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 12:23 pm 
Sewing cuben is not really different than sewing any other fabric. I have been doing it successfully for years and have no special skills at sewing. Also, Zpacks sells a front pack that would probably work for what you want. I sometimes buy things that I could easily make just because they are usually well designed and well made. I often lack the patience for detail that is needed to make things perfect, so I leave it to the experts.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Aug 14, 2017 2:33 pm 
A few non-sewing options... Might checkout Hyperlite Mountain Gear - Small Roll-Top Stuff Sack. Cuban, waterproof, about 6"X12". Plenty big for a Sony or Lumix compact. Granite Gear makes some nice zippered sacks (ZIppSack). I have few these and really like them.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
pcg

pcg
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 12:29 pm 
Thanks everyone for all the info - very helpful! I have a specific design in mind so I'll likely forego what's already available and continue with my plan to sew something up. This project will be on the docket for this winter and I'll post my results and what I learned when I'm done.