Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rock Lake - Alpine Lakes Wilderness 7/12/17 - 7/14/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 8:49 am 
My understanding is the German Browns that were in that lake were legally planted by Fish and Wildlife well over a decade ago. There were a few lakes they planted but I believe they have stopped planting browns in the high mountain lakes for some time now. I was just curious if they may have spawned but chances are remote.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 9:03 am 
Steve, do you know the story about these German Browns? Are they a poor choice as a stocking fish? or do they have some negative consequence when introduced into the wilds? Curious.

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 9:36 am 
Brian Curtis would be a better source to answer that question. They have been successfully planted in many lowland lakes but not sure as to the reasons why they are not planted in the high lakes much, if at all any more. It could be as simple as expense compared to other fish that are stocked.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 10:42 pm 
Brown trout were stocked in Rock Lake in an effort to control over reproducing EBs. They have not been stocked there in recent years because of concerns by the federal government over brown trout dropping downstream into bull trout waters. Basically, WDFW can't stock browns in any drainage that contains bull trout. Brown trout are stocked in some high lakes in the south Cascades.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 2:21 pm 
Nice v-log! What is the brand name for the rafts? Do you like it? I have an old (1976) Curtiss Designs raft that is just about ready to exhale it's last.

"May you live in interesting times"
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 4:36 pm 
A vintage Curtis Designs raft from 1976 would be a nifty trick. We sold our first raft in 1980 smile.gif In all seriousness, if there are specific issues with your raft I can repair it. Sometimes they do just wear out, but I can often repair them.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Joe Biden

Joe Biden
PostFri Aug 18, 2017 8:22 pm 
DadFly wrote:
Nice v-log! What is the brand name for the rafts? Do you like it? I have an old (1976) Curtiss Designs raft that is just about ready to exhale it's last.
Thanks! It's a Klymit LWD. I like it but wish I had a Curtis Designs raft. The Klymit is 35 ounces and does the job. I have had it for 4 years now and no complaints. Only cost me ~$135.

SingleShot

SingleShot
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 9:32 pm 
WDFW helicoptered jumbo browns to the lake in 1979. Two fry plants were made - 1990 and 1994. A 1998 gill net caught several browns. One was nearly 8 lbs. and was from the 1990 plant. The lake was scheduled for a 1999 fry plant but the US Fish & Wildlife Service had questions about brown trout stocking. So in August, 1999, the Olympia trout boss canceled all brown trout stocking due to bull trout concerns. The cancellation email was sent to the Region 4 bio so I don't believe the other regional bios were included. Prior to the brown trout introduction Rock was an ecological nightmare. Still a beautiful destination but the hordes of stunted, skinny, emaciated brook trout that ate every invertebrate that stuck its head out of the mud or crawled out on a stone. Mayflies, caddis, and other inverts can carry 5-10,000 eggs but they do need a chance to get in the air to finish the life cycle. Region 4 bios have received many requests to re-stock browns in Rock. The bull trout concerns ranged from hybrids to competition downstream. Hybrids? Browns have a spawn cycle that's about 2 months different than bull trout. Competition? Rock drains to the Snohomish River and the fishing regs allows anglers to killl bull trout, over 20 inches, and count them in their daily limit. These regs indicate bull trout concerns, in this system, are not as worrisome as in other parts of the state where browns are stocked in lakes that drain to bull trout streams. I don't know if its institutional biology, or just dumb biology, but sadly, this lake will revert to its previous, sick, status.

WDFW Volunteer Award recipient
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Sep 04, 2017 8:13 am 
SingleShot wrote:
WDFW helicoptered jumbo browns to the lake in 1979. Two fry plants were made - 1990 and 1994. A 1998 gill net caught several browns. One was nearly 8 lbs. and was from the 1990 plant. The lake was scheduled for a 1999 fry plant but the US Fish & Wildlife Service had questions about brown trout stocking. So in August, 1999, the Olympia trout boss canceled all brown trout stocking due to bull trout concerns. The cancellation email was sent to the Region 4 bio so I don't believe the other regional bios were included. Prior to the brown trout introduction Rock was an ecological nightmare. Still a beautiful destination but the hordes of stunted, skinny, emaciated brook trout that ate every invertebrate that stuck its head out of the mud or crawled out on a stone. Mayflies, caddis, and other inverts can carry 5-10,000 eggs but they do need a chance to get in the air to finish the life cycle. Region 4 bios have received many requests to re-stock browns in Rock. The bull trout concerns ranged from hybrids to competition downstream. Hybrids? Browns have a spawn cycle that's about 2 months different than bull trout. Competition? Rock drains to the Snohomish River and the fishing regs allows anglers to killl bull trout, over 20 inches, and count them in their daily limit. These regs indicate bull trout concerns, in this system, are not as worrisome as in other parts of the state where browns are stocked in lakes that drain to bull trout streams. I don't know if its institutional biology, or just dumb biology, but sadly, this lake will revert to its previous, sick, status.
Thanks for that. Very interesting.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Sep 04, 2017 9:35 am 
Was interesting back in the 70's to look down on the lake from the cliffs on west side of the lake and see the thousands of little eel fish swimming on the surface.