Forum Index > Trip Reports > Queets 59th Anniversary - 08-08-17 - 08-11-17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chico

Chico
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 6:24 pm 
Ski wrote:
I put it on top of about 6 layers of paper towels on a large cookie sheet and put it into the oven with just the oven light on and leave it in overnight
So what is the temp? All oven lights are not created equal. Especially in this day and age of users being energy conscious.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 6:37 pm 
Quote:
It's just watercolor - not rocket science.
Well, it's very nicely done. Thanks for including it. I actually zoomed in on the pack... that bag is aging pretty well...

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 6:43 pm 
Nice report. Just curious if you ever venture into the Cascades?

Tomlike

Tomlike
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 7:12 pm 
great report. our party of 4 hiked out from Lake Beauty 8/10-8/12. somewhere above Pelton we swear we encountered lots of mule scat on a wide sandy area. one in our party made up an elaborate story about how they were part of a fire research team that was clearing the trail... dizzy.gif the section through the burn we found to be difficult to follow, so we ended up going out to the river and walked down gravel bars to Bob Creek, probably fording 6-8 times in that stretch. didn't see a single person until within 1 mile of the trail head wink.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 7:14 pm 
Chico: - There are better photos of the pack here. - The oven temp (with my cheapie thermometer) looks to be about 95° F - it has a 40W incandescent bulb in it. Bernardo: - I've hiked up a mess of peaks in the Cascades. I few up along I-90, but mostly south of Randle - High Rock to Little Huckleberry Mountain. I don't get out as much as I used to - I haven't been down there in years.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RodF

RodF
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 1:55 am 
Chico, Park volunteer coordinator Heather Stephens is organizing several volunteer groups to focus on the Queets campground and the 3-mile campground loop trail up to Sam's River next spring, and on the Queets Trail re-routes and logout next summer. Both WTA and BCHW Mt. Olympus chapter are involved, and will announce work parties open to all who are interested.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
reststep

reststep
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 8:30 pm 
Great trip report Ski. Thanks for sharing.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 9:16 pm 
That river video is soothing sweet... cool.gif I wish I could get over to the Peninsula more than once a year....

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 22, 2017 8:19 pm 
Thank you all for the kind and supportive comments. up.gif I had a lengthy and most interesting conversation earlier today with the Park botanist regarding the treatment of non-indigenous invasive flora in the Queets Valley. She was most helpful in answering my questions, and provided me with several documents that I wasn't aware even existed up until this morning. I have not yet had an opportunity to sit down and read them in their entirety, but just skimming through them I can see that the non-native invasives are a subject about which Olympic National Park is not only acutely aware of, but a matter about which they seem intent on addressing effectively. If you are interested in this subject I would be happy to email you copies of the documents. PM me with a valid email address. Heritage Plants at Former Homesteads in the Queets Valley Olympic National Park - Acker et al 2015 (NPS) *.pdf format 2.3 MB Invasive Plants in the Queets Valley Olympic National Park - Acker et al 2014 (NPS) *.pdf format 6.5 MB Paradise Fire Burned Area Rehabilitation Report Olympic National Park - Coles 2017 (NPS) *.pdf format 852 KB There are a few miscellaneous supporting documents that I will forward along with these as well.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
jask

jask
PostThu Sep 07, 2017 11:59 pm 
Nice report. I need to get back to the Queets one day.