Forum Index > Gear Talk > Salsa Cutthroat Rival Shakedown 8.14.17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 5:36 pm 
I've done more biking these past few years, but my bikes are like me: old. My mountain bike is a steel framed Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, which I bought in 2000. My road bike I bought from a friend of mine in 2000, but it was already a few years old, a Trek 5500 Carbon; top components at the time but now about 20 years old. Nearing retirement, I decided it was time to get a new bike, one that suited my needs with an eye towards bike packing. The shakedown ride was, big surprise, Mt. Rainier where I rode some climbs to Paradise and Sunrise but also did the entire West Side Road, all together 83 miles and 10,200' of climb. So far I'm pretty impressed. initial observations here

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:45 am 
I used to have Hoo Koo E Koo...until some scum stole it. It was a great bike! I ride a Giant Trance now...also good.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
trestle

trestle
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 am 
That's quite an upgrade from your Fisher and Trek. I love the gravel bike genre and hope to acquire a new one myself in the next few years. I appreciated your review and the distinctions between the ride quality on different surfaces. I've never ridden with a cowchipper bar and I've read a lot of good reviews but they sure look different. I'll be curious to hear more about the front brake after you get it adjusted. Thanks for posting.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 2:42 pm 
up.gif Husby recently picked up a Specialized Sequoia gravel grinder and absolutely loves it. Haven't been able to do the bikepacking thing this season (yet?) but he's got a bead on that for the future if nothing else. I've bikepacked w/ my Ibis Mojo... not ideal in the sense of not having any room for a frame bag, but I just pumped up the fork and the main shock and it rode like a champ on singletrack fully loaded. Now if I only had more time for all the toys... bawl.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 pm 
Looks like a fun bike (so long as you don't mind the lack of a big gear for downhills wink.gif ). I finished building the frame for this "gravel bike" -- which 20 years ago would have been called a "touring bike" -- a couple months ago. I just built some fast wheels (not in pic) for road. Second pic is frame in jig, ready for brazing.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 12:55 pm 
That's a sweet looking shop! You can build bikes from scratch, I can barely change a flat, kinda sums it up. Your frame looks like the Gunnar bikes. I was told I can put a bigger crank on for faster pedaling but for now I'm good....however, were I going cross country I would probably regear the bike. Don't have to worry about that for a few years yet.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 2:27 pm 
williswall wrote:
You can build bikes from scratch, I can barely change a flat, kinda sums it up.
I've been building frames off and on for 40 years. My original partner, Doug Curtiss, has been a custom framebuilder for decades under the Curtlo brand. (He's the Curt and I'm the Lo, although I haven't been involved in the business for many years.) He is in the Methow Valley and builds excellent custom frames for a great price. He also sells build kits at a good price, so it's possible to get a custom bicycle at a mass-produced price.

Gregory

Gregory
PostSun Sep 10, 2017 7:06 am 
I just got word from a friend that Chris chance is back at it.I still have a black 18" Wicked Fat Chance.Fun looking bike for sure looks like it will turn on a dime.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 9:08 am 
Steve, What milling machine is that? Looks similar to a J-head Bridgeport. With the dark green paint I was thinking it might be a Grizzly machine.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 4:08 pm 
That's a beautiful bike, and I've only ever heard good things about Salsas. Looks like a fantastic shakedown ride, too! Great scenery, I bet it made your legs burn. I've been having a lot of fun in the modern "gravel" category, too. I agree that light gearing can be annoying when you spin out, but that it's a great trade off for climbing, especially on steep dirt pitches. Other than that, how do you like SRAM road? Rival is a pretty nice group. I just got a new gravel bike, too! smile.gif Mine is a little differently oriented than yours. I had a very hard time choosing between a Santa Cruz Stigmata, which I think is a lot like your Salsa, and a Cervelo C3. I wound up going for the latter, it's more of a fondo bike, but I've been enjoying taking it on a lot of the roads leading to trailheads I used to hike from. I rode up to the Phelps Creek TH, it was a lovely ride and I enjoyed solitude for most of it. The hiking trails are getting so crowded, but you can get a similar experience to the old days on a bike if you choose your route carefully. Being able to take unpaved roads helps a lot with that. Mind if I post a couple pics of mine? Probably like you, this is my first internally routed bike, which is neat. I'm in love with mine, and I hope you are with yours - I get the sense you are. Everybody should love their bike.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 4:11 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
I just built some fast wheels (not in pic) for road.
Do you plan to swap them back and forth regularly? Are the brakes hydraulic or mech?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Sep 14, 2017 8:07 am 
InFlight wrote:
Steve, What milling machine is that? Looks similar to a J-head Bridgeport. With the dark green paint I was thinking it might be a Grizzly machine.
Yeah, it's a Grizzly Bridgeport J-head clone, c. 2001. It's a better Grizzly, Taiwanese (not mainland China) with mehanite castings. It's been a good solid troublefree mill.
Cyclopath wrote:
Do you plan to swap them back and forth regularly? Are the brakes hydraulic or mech?
As often as necessary. So far that's a couple times a week. Quick swap, a couple minutes. Mechanical brakes, TRP Spyre with big 200mm rotors. Per my experience years ago as a long-distance tourist, the bike is set up for reliability/durability, e.g., high spoke count wheels, and ability to repair in the field, e.g., Paul Thumbie shifters, which have fewer moving parts than brifters and can be switched to friction shifters on the fly. Now that my running days are over I've been putting lots of miles on the new bike as my new daily aerobic workout routine.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 8:00 am 
Ok, that makes sense. Swapping wheels isn't really a common practice with hydraulic brakes because for all their goodness, the self-centering, self-adjusting nature actually gets in the way of this. I figured if anyone was going to make it work, it'd be you.