Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bannock Lakes - Saddle Bow Mountain - Hanging Gardens - Image Lake and Miners Ridge loop 8/14-8/16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 4:46 pm 
Fletcher and I had grand plans of summiting Dark and Sinister peaks in one trip these past four days. The original plan was to climb both in a long loop from the Suiattle River trailhead. We didn't end up summiting either peak, but we still had a great 3 day outing in one of the more remote regions of the Cascades. We started hiking from the Suiattle River TH just after 7am on Monday. In a few hours we intersected the PCT and made our way towards Suiattle Pass.
Cruisin' the Suiattle
Cruisin' the Suiattle
Short break just south of Suiattle Pass. One of the most beautiful old growth forests I've visited.
Short break just south of Suiattle Pass. One of the most beautiful old growth forests I've visited.
The plan was to camp somewhere just off the PCT in the basin directly south of Bannock Lakes, stash some unneeded gear, and go for Dark early the next morning. After 11 hours and approximately 25 miles, we found a suitable campsite in the middle of a meadow. At this point we realized that we had grossly underpacked on food. We had an ambitious itinerary planned and the meager amount of food that we had simply wasn't going to cut it. Dark was out. Although it was disappointing to bail on Dark, it was definitely the right call. Even if we had ample rations, our original plan was probably still a little bit overzealous. After watching the sunset over Bonanza, we promptly passed out.
Basin on the PCT north of Suiattle Pass
Basin on the PCT north of Suiattle Pass
So many miles today...Are we there yet?
So many miles today...Are we there yet?
Nearing camp
Nearing camp
This will have to do
This will have to do
South from camp
South from camp
After a leisurely 9AM start, we made our way to the 6600' pass southeast of upper Bannock Lakes. What beautiful place! Dome and Sinister peaks provide a spectacular backdrop to this remote area.
Fletcher en route to Bannock Lakes
Fletcher en route to Bannock Lakes
Almost to Bannock
Almost to Bannock
Bannock, Upper Bannock Lakes, Dome, and Sinister
Bannock, Upper Bannock Lakes, Dome, and Sinister
Bonanza
Bonanza
Saddle Bow
Saddle Bow
Just as we were about to drop to upper Bannock Lakes, a forest service ranger showed up. It was pretty startling to me - the last thing I expected to see here was another person! We talked for a while and then parted ways. After dropping a few hundred feet towards the upper lakes we decided to take a quick detour to the summit of Saddle Bow Mountain. We dropped most of our gear and climbed boulders and heather to a notch just north of Saddle Bow's summit. From here, class 2/3 terrain up talus brought us to the top. The views were spectacular.
Fletcher starts up to Saddle Bow
Fletcher starts up to Saddle Bow
The notch we climbed to in Saddle Bow's summit ridge
The notch we climbed to in Saddle Bow's summit ridge
Glacier and upper Bannock Lakes
Glacier and upper Bannock Lakes
Fletcher climbs boulders to the summit
Fletcher climbs boulders to the summit
Dome, Sinister, Gunsight, Agnes
Dome, Sinister, Gunsight, Agnes
Fletcher on the summit of Saddle Bow with Bonanza
Fletcher on the summit of Saddle Bow with Bonanza
Glacier is beautiful from any angle
Glacier is beautiful from any angle
Bannock's impressive NE face with upper Bannock Lakes
Bannock's impressive NE face with upper Bannock Lakes
Eldorado, Forbidden, Sahale, Boston, Agnes
Eldorado, Forbidden, Sahale, Boston, Agnes
Fletcher and Bannock
Fletcher and Bannock
We descended from Saddle Bow and made our way to the lower Bannock Lakes. The beauty and solitude of this place is astounding. Fletcher and I both agreed that this was one of the most remote places we'd ever been.
Saddle Bow
Saddle Bow
Descending from Saddle Bow
Descending from Saddle Bow
Upper Bannock Lakes, Dome, Sinister
Upper Bannock Lakes, Dome, Sinister
Gorgeous
Gorgeous
Fletcher and lower Bannock Lakes
Fletcher and lower Bannock Lakes
Lower Bannock, Dome, Sinister
Lower Bannock, Dome, Sinister
Lower Bannock and some icebergs that probably cleaved off of Bannock Mountain's northeast face
Lower Bannock and some icebergs that probably cleaved off of Bannock Mountain's northeast face
The route from lower Bannock Lakes to the Hanging Gardens was completely uncertain to us but we decided to give it a shot. It wasn't so bad, and after two hours of so of semi-difficult traversing over talus and heather, we arrived at Ross Pass.
Typical terrain between Bannock Lakes and Ross Pass
Typical terrain between Bannock Lakes and Ross Pass
Dome and Sinister from the Hanging Gardens.
Dome and Sinister from the Hanging Gardens.
It was now clear that Sinister wasn't going to happen. Food was running low, and Sinister still looked to be a very strenuous full day from the Hanging Gardens. We swallowed our pride and decided cutting our trip short and hiking out the next day was the responsible call. At this point we figured we might as well head south for Canyon Lake and see how far we could get. After about 45 minutes of traversing, we found a great bivy site midway between Ross Pass and Totem Pass. It had running water and a perfect view of Dome and Sinister. Even though we still had an hour or two of daylight left, we decided to call it here and enjoy the sunset. The stars that night were the best I've seen all year.
Dome and Sinister from our gorgeous bivy site
Dome and Sinister from our gorgeous bivy site
Light fades over Dome and Sinister
Light fades over Dome and Sinister
Enjoying a cocktail at sunset from our luxurious bivy. Apologies for the gross feet.
Enjoying a cocktail at sunset from our luxurious bivy. Apologies for the gross feet.
Golden hour
Golden hour
We were hiking at 7AM the next day. We quickly made our way up and over Totem Pass via easy, slabby rock. From Totem, we dropped steeply almost 1000 feet towards Canyon Lake. Veggie belays were a necessity. Just before the lake, we encountered our first sign of humanity in many miles - flagging and a slight way trail.
Views from Totem Pass
Views from Totem Pass
Looking south from Totem Pass. Canyon Lake is out of view to the lower left. In the upper right is the Dakobed Range.
Looking south from Totem Pass. Canyon Lake is out of view to the lower left. In the upper right is the Dakobed Range.
Glacier Peak capped with a nice lenticular from just below Totem Pass
Glacier Peak capped with a nice lenticular from just below Totem Pass
Fletcher on a way trail to Canyon Lake
Fletcher on a way trail to Canyon Lake
At the outlet of Canyon Lake we picked up the old Canyon Lake trail. This trail clearly hasn't been maintained for years but it was easy enough to follow. Along the way we found some some delicious blueberries. 6 miles, several ups and downs, and many blowdowns later, we arrived at Image Lake.
Glacier from the Canyon Lake trail
Glacier from the Canyon Lake trail
Fletcher on one of the rougher sections of the unmaintained Canyon Lake trail
Fletcher on one of the rougher sections of the unmaintained Canyon Lake trail
Stonehenge Ridge from near Image Lake
Stonehenge Ridge from near Image Lake
At Image Lake, we took a much needed food break. After an hour we set off on the Miners Ridge trail, making a minor detour to visit the old lookout. Russ, the lookout's caretaker for the months of July and August, was kind enough to give us a tour and a brief history of the area. Thanks Russ!
Image Lake and Glacier
Image Lake and Glacier
Fletcher and Image Lake
Fletcher and Image Lake
Views from Miners Ridge
Views from Miners Ridge
Dakobed Range
Dakobed Range
Views east
Views east
Fletcher at the lookout
Fletcher at the lookout
From the lookout, we slogged out the 16 miles to the car in about 5 hours. It wasn't so bad. We had beers stashed on the Suiattle trail which made the last few miles to the car go by much easier. Even though we didn't get our summits, I still thoroughly enjoyed this trip. As far as failed attempts go, I'd consider this one to be a great success.
Well, guess it's time to go
Well, guess it's time to go
PCT/Image Lake junction
PCT/Image Lake junction
Canyon Creek Bridge
Canyon Creek Bridge

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
geyer

geyer
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 6:03 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
Fletcher and I both agreed that this was one of the most remote places we'd ever been.
That's a strange coincidence - I was just looking at this area on the map yesterday wondering if anyone had any pictures of this place and I could find absolutely nothing. Not even from Bannock or Saddle Bow. You basically confirmed my suspicions that it's as nice looking as the satellite images. Great trip, even without the big summits.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 7:09 pm 
Oh god your one of those people who sit on bridges and block the entire right of way Badass sh## though, Bannock Lakes are my goal for a 5 night quest in a few weeks.

ree

ree
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 7:09 pm 
Wow, so gorgeous. How were the bugs? Excellent trip.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 7:19 pm 
KekistaniProphet wrote:
Oh god your one of those people who sit on bridges and block the entire right of way
Funny you say that...we hadn't seen anyone in hours and hours, and then as soon as we sat down on that bridge, a PCT southbounder came through.
ree wrote:
Wow, so gorgeous. How were the bugs? Excellent trip.
The flies were bad at Image Lake. Bugs weren't really an issue for us anywhere else on this trip.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 pm 
That's quite the trip! Thanks for sharing

Eric Eames
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 8:16 pm 
Can't imagine a worse totally debacle in trip planning. Had a great time regardless! Such cool country.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 9:25 pm 
Nice......! dizzy.gif I remember Iron's report from a few years ago. Now you remind me much I want to get up in there. cool.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
RichP

RichP
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 9:32 pm 
Awesome trip guys, even without the T/100's.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Aug 18, 2017 7:27 am 
Fantastic trip! up.gif
Jake Robinson wrote:
We swallowed our pride and decided cutting our trip short and hiking out the next day was the responsible call.
Although initially disappointed, once you made the decision I bet you were relieved to have a more relaxed hike back out. You'll get 'em next time, by this or another route.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Aug 18, 2017 9:42 am 
That looks awesome! up.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Aug 18, 2017 10:10 am 
Jake Robinson wrote:
We swallowed our pride and decided cutting our trip short and hiking out the next day was the responsible call.
You could pick up chicks in a bar with that! Nothing better than someone who sees the truth, owns it, and deals with it as it should be dealt with. up.gif I would love to visit up there again. I only got to Image and explored the way trail toward Canyon Lake; being solo, I didn't want to try Canyon Lake, knowing the beginning of the trail was in rough shape. Sweet trip!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert