Forum Index > Trail Talk > Norse Peak and American Ridge Fires
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 7:44 am 
There are nine new lightning caused fires in the Naches district. The two best described are the American Ridge Fire and the Norse Peak fire burning above Pleasant Valley on the lower slopes of Union Creek: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5509/ Incidentally, even in the Mt. Baker area yesterday, haze restricted visibility anywhere south to about 40 miles.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 6:41 pm 
From Mt Rainier Facebook - posted about 5:30pm August 16th "ALERT: SR410/Chinook Pass is CLOSED starting at the Cayuse Pass wye until further notice due to a fire outside the park in the Norse Peak Wilderness, east of the pass. SR410 north of Cayuse Pass and SR123 south remain open. "

gb

gb
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 7:01 pm 
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 pm 
marta wrote:
From Mt Rainier Facebook - posted about 5:30pm August 16th "ALERT: SR410/Chinook Pass is CLOSED starting at the Cayuse Pass wye until further notice due to a fire outside the park in the Norse Peak Wilderness, east of the pass. SR410 north of Cayuse Pass and SR123 south remain open. "
Since I'm not sure exactly where the closure is. Does this mean one cannot access Mt. Rainier from Yakima on 410? But it can still be reached on 410 from Enumclaw?

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
hikerman

hikerman
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 10:49 pm 
mtn.climber wrote:
marta wrote:
Since I'm not sure exactly where the closure is. Does this mean one cannot access Mt. Rainier from Yakima on 410? But it can still be reached on 410 from Enumclaw?
Correct

cartman

cartman
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm 
Jetlag and I were hiking in the White Pass area and saw one of the fires east of Rainier blow up about noon today.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 11:27 pm 
Dang! We are heading over to Rainier on Sunday and we're planning to drive 410 from Yakima. Now it looks like I'll need to head down from Enumclaw instead. Also, my oldest son is on the Entiat Hotshots, and they are currently fighting the Norse Peak fire.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 11:33 pm 
why can't you go up US 12 and go in at Ohanepecosh?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chico

Chico
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 2:38 am 
Yeah, why? US 12 is open, SR 123 is open. SR 410 up and over Chinook is the only section of highway closed. From WSDOT SR 410 Both Directions - SR 410 Chinook Pass is closed between milepost 84 Hell's Crossing westbound, and just east of the summit milepost 69 eastbound, due to a brush fire. It will be closed overnight and possibly for the next couple of days. Last Updated: 8/17/2017 2:01 AM From milepost 84 to milepost 69 Milepost 69 is the pass. Milepost 84 is Hells Crossing Campground.

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 3:38 pm 
There have been a couple of questions on Facebook regarding Tipsoo Lake. They replied at this time you can still access it from the west since the lot is west of milepost 69 (Chinook Pass) but that may change at anytime depending upon the fire. Watch Wsdot or alerts on the NPS website. I really like the Pleasant Valley campground. I hoping it doesn't spread to it.

Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 8:44 pm 
Some old coworkers sent me pics. 410 is going to look a bit different through that areas as well as pleasant valley loop trail will need some work. Lots of hazard trees have been fallen in that stretch.

Have I offended you today?
Chico

Chico
PostFri Aug 18, 2017 12:35 am 
marta wrote:
They replied at this time you can still access it from the west since the lot is west of milepost 69
Just barely. About a 1/4 mile.

gb

gb
PostWed Aug 30, 2017 8:20 am 
The Norse Peak fire doubled in size yesterday, moving to the northeast, according to inciweb. It is also burning in the basins just east of Norse Peak ridge (approaching ski terrain).

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Aug 30, 2017 8:30 am 
good luck mtn.climber. Hope your kid is doing well out there.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 30, 2017 8:36 am 
Traffic is detoured to go over White Pass hwy 12. There is a detour sign for mrnp at the Ohanapecosh turn off. You should add an hour To travel tine on weekdays because there are delays for road reconstruction on both sides of 12.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities