Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > copper mine proposal near Goat Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostThu May 01, 2008 9:36 am 
Everyone has good arguments, but step back for a minute....what if the situation was like this..... the oxygen content of earth is disappearing and you have to mine it, yet the only pockets are under protected or wilderness areas...if you don't get it you die and evryone else does... What do you do? Die or survive?...now this proposed mine is nowhere near what I am saying, but in the grand scheme of things there is only so much resources in the world and a limitied suppy. Every time a proposal comes along people start giving the pros and cons. If this mine was to be like what happened at Holden, near Chelan, then I am toally against it, but if I can be 100% convinced that there will be no environmental altering effects, then hey go for it. A mine can't do anymore damage to the landscape than what happened in May of 1980 Just a few miles south of the Proposed site.

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 24, 2017 5:25 pm 
Tuesday August 22, 2017 14:19 PDT Goat Mountain Hardrock Prospecting Permit Applications Dear Partners, Stakeholders, and Interested Members of the Public, You are receiving this message because you provided specific comments or because of your potential interest in this project. The Forest Service in cooperation with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has prepared a modified environmental assessment, finding of no significant impact and draft decision for the project. The draft decision being made by the Forest Service is to provide consent to the BLM to approve an application to prospect or explore for minerals on National Forest System lands. A legal notice initiating the objection period for this project will be published in The Chronicle, Centralia, Washington. Please see the attached letter for more details about the project and how to submit objections. For additional information, please contact Charlie Sharp, Environmental Coordinator, at charlesmsharp@fs.fed.us or (970) 403-6174. Sincerely, Gar Abbas District Ranger Cowlitz Ranger District Gifford Pinchot National Forest (* emphasis added *) * Documents are available here. * see also post immediately below *

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 24, 2017 5:31 pm 
* see also post immediately above * Exploratory Mining Permit Near Mt. St. Helens Advances - The Columbian August 23, 2017
Dameon Pesanti, reporting for The Columbian in the above-cited article wrote:
Some of the land in question was purchased by the U.S. Forest Service in the 1980s with money from the Land and Water Conservation Fund, which is meant to serve the interests of recreation and conservation.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Aug 25, 2017 10:36 am 
Good. Let 'em sample and drill. Folks opposed, look at the bright side...most exploration fails and there may be nothing there to fight about, leaving you free to direct your limited resources to other locations or causes.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers