Forum Index > Trail Talk > Oh, those PCT girls!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 6:30 pm 
Since my daughter headed up the screening and selection process for a couple of years running I know a little bit about it. Be forewarned that it is probably very different than what you might think it is. They try to select a very diverse group of girls that seem inspired but would not otherwise have an opportunity to participate in such a program. I think having outdoor experience in the mountains or even growing up around mountains has little or nothing to do with it. Also, they select 8-10 girls from all over the world so the odds of getting selected are very low. I think my daughter got accepted because she had been raised in the sand dunes of the middle east. However, they are running more programs now so the odds are much better. Failing that, you can inspire her by taking her out as often as possible.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 6:44 am 
Hannah is moving through Oregon while leaving some fires and smoke behind she will be approaching another area where there is a fire and a Pass which may end up being closed, she has had to detour due to fire and smoke multiple times and also due to stretches lacking reliable water availability. I only get brief periods to talk with her as she hikes I hear the clickity click of trekking poles as she talks and walks, her group is averaging 34 miles a day and she had no smoke yesterday. Her favorite areas were going to be the Sierras and Washington State but if the smoke persist she may turn back in Portland and do the Sierras instead of Washington State next. She is getting weary of the long stretches of being engulfed in forest through Oregon and wants some views.

Living in the Anthropocene
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Aug 05, 2017 9:22 am 
Had a broken conversation with Hannah before her call dropped. They hiked the entire Mount Jefferson wilderness yesterday with miles of lava rock, she slept under Mt. Jefferson. Overall it was mostly clear, but she could see the smoke to the North.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Aug 13, 2017 9:51 am 
Into Washington I bought the crew each a buffet breakfast a few days ago and Hannah visited her brother at Timberline.
Three PCT Amigos ready for a buffet gorging.
Three PCT Amigos ready for a buffet gorging.
Plate #1 at the buffet.
Plate #1 at the buffet.
Bring more !
Bring more !
Brother and Sister.
Brother and Sister.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Aug 13, 2017 10:55 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Whoa, this looks like Mt. Doom in Mordor. Such a forbidding landscape down there. Congrats to the PCT girls for arriving in Washington. up.gif ~z

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSun Aug 13, 2017 5:47 pm 
Wildernessed, I've followed this thread since it began. It's neat hearing second hand about Hannah's adventure. It reminds me of Opus's PCT hike and how his progress was reported on this site. VERY COOL!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Aug 18, 2017 8:42 am 
up.gif I received several texts from Hannah yesterday aka "Spatula" on the PCT she made it through the Goat Rocks up Old Snowy across the Knife Edge and to White Pass. She said it was absolutely stunning, great weather and views, good trail. "It was so beautiful I felt like crying" smile.gif . I think that area is one of the highlights of the PCT she really was looking forward to the Goat Rocks and North, and the Sierras.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Sep 06, 2017 4:44 pm 
party.gif Hannah and her merry group of PCT hikers arrived in Canada and are on their way to catch a flight to finish the Sierras. About 9 days ago we picked them up in Leavenworth and brought them to Wenatchee where they cleaned up, feasted, resupplied etc..., for a few days. Hannah (Spatula) did scarf my MLD Prophet while she was here and loved the pack. They initially bypassed the Sierras due to the snow coverage and high stream crossings and made it through Northern California, Oregon, and Washington before any PCT closures all though I did send them all masks which they did use at times so congrats to them for their conviction and endurance through alot of adversity. They had many stories and many more that have yet to be told. up.gif
Shopping for food resupply.
Shopping for food resupply.
The PCT group.
The PCT group.
Hannah "Spatula" in Manning, Canada.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Sep 06, 2017 4:56 pm 
up.gif up.gif How many miles through the Sierras do they have left?

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Sep 06, 2017 5:09 pm 
Yana wrote:
up.gif up.gif How many miles through the Sierras do they have left?
500 miles, she said it all seems to be going so fast but her body seems trashed. She did plan her meals out carefully though and has gained 2 lb. since she started (muscle) why her friends lost 20 - 30 lb.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Sep 06, 2017 5:43 pm 
Well I gotta say...she comes by it honestly! How many of you have been with Wildernessed when he is heading for a peak! They can be so proud of Hannah. Such a intelligent and determined young women. Go Hannah up.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Sep 06, 2017 5:58 pm 
Sierras are a lot less smoky than here as there last week. up.gif up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Sep 06, 2017 6:40 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
Congratulations! party.gif Hannah on getting through this part before all the closures. It's a rough year for thru-hikers. That pic does look a might bit smoky there too. ~z

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 9:09 am 
Hannah arrived back home last week after her and her partner Tai spent days in survival mode backpacking in the Sierras which received the first accumulating snow about 4 weeks early with subfreezing temperatures and 50, 60, 70 mph plus winds.They had quite a few fords and had to just keep backpacking as fast as they could to get off and out of the mountains. Over her and her companions thruhike they encountered a lot of adversity as did the entire PCT 2017 class, but what an experience of nearly 5 months of backpacking and over 2400 miles. She plans on going back for the final section next year when it may be more hospitable. They also raised nearly 6000.00 for charity. Now she is thinking about doing some ultra trail running, and of course she is visiting this weekend to celebrate her 26th birthday and wants to go hiking. winksmile.gif Here are a few words they posted on Fb regarding their time on the trail... Tai : From May 11th- September 22nd I have walked 2,450 miles from Mexico to Canada on the Pacific Crest Trail. I have walked through heat waves, torrential rains and lightning storms, and absolutely beautiful sunny days. I have seen desert mountains, thousands of stars light up the night sky, snowy peaks, and never ending meadows of wildflowers. Most importantly I have met incredible people on trail and off trail who have offered me friendship, endless stories, warm beds and hot meals. After getting caught in a scary snow storm at 10,000 ft about 40 miles into Sierra, I valued my safety enough to get off trail with only 200 miles to the finish. My journey would never have gotten this far without my family, friends, my partner in crime, trail angels, the PCTA, trail crews, and total strangers. I dedicate my hike to the strong women in my life who gave me the courage to take my first step. With that said- I cannot wait to finish Sierra in warmer months ahead! PCT 2017- We did it!!!! Hannah : And just like that- it's over! From May 4th - September 21st I hiked 2,427.5 PCT miles and countless more miles into towns, side trips, off the trail for natures calling, and so many more steps. Ultimately, Taļ Schroeder and I decided to get off at Tuolumne Meadows to save the final 190 miles for next year. (we get to hike the JMT!) We felt that in order to safely finish, we would need different tents, shoes, and gear. I wanted to be able to marvel at the beauty of the passes longer than 30 seconds bc of cold and wind, jump in all the lakes, and take our time. A younger version of myself would have had a more primal, deep rooted conviction to finish at all costs, but as I learned so many times the hard way through athletics, sometimes knowing when to call it just as important as having the grit to keep going. This hike has always been about enjoyment for me. For maybe the first time in my life it wasn't a competition. I wasn't the fastest hiker, I didn't hike the farthest, have the lightest pack or the heaviest. And I didn't care one bit! I hiked to see the beauty, hiked to be outside everyday, hiked just to exist. I was so small and insignificant to Mother Nature and it was wonderful to marvel and know that I was nothing. Long before I was here and long after the mountains and flowers, lakes, steams, sunnny days, and rain would go on. It filled me with gratitude to be alive, the walk, to experience life so simple and wonderful. I lived so presently that when we decided to call our hike early, i didn't even realize what was left. I never idealized the end. I lived in the moment and that was huge for me. During my athletic career I kept my dreams so near- visualizing the race, the win, the glory constantly. But on this hike I took in what was around me, enjoying what was in front of me bc I would never be the same person, standing in this same place ever again. When I stopped I didn't have something I worked so hard for ripped from my grasp, my view just changed. Instead of thinking about how I would have felt if I would have made it to Whitney this year, I thought of all the wonderful memories I had the last 5 months. How excited I was to share my journey with friends and family and be in the arms of my loved ones. This was monumental personal growth. The result didn't matter one bit. It was never about the finish, it was about the journey. Thank goodness, life will never be the same.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 11:51 am 
I loved reading their final thoughts. up.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com