Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Steely Dan co-founder and bassist Walter Becker passes at 67.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 1:51 pm 
From the article in Rolling Stone Magazine: Walter Becker, guitarist, bassist and co-founder of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inducted band Steely Dan, died Sunday at the age of 67. Becker's official site announced the death; no cause of death or other details were provided. "Walter Becker was my friend, my writing partner and my bandmate since we met as students at Bard College in 1967," Donald Fagen wrote in a tribute to Becker. "He was smart as a whip, an excellent guitarist and a great songwriter. He was cynical about human nature, including his own, and hysterically funny." Some of this music might be familiar to a few folks. Brings back a few memories. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 2:27 pm 
and for those who just can't get enough:

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 2:58 pm 
Really like this one. A tribute to the quality of FM radio sound over AM with static. This is a light show on the Empire State Building. Very interesting--especially when it flies directly overhead and looks down. Embiggens nicely. ~z

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 6:26 pm 
^ up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Sep 07, 2017 4:02 am 
I like Steely Dan(except for the origin of their name) but they have taken knocks for their lack of live performances. They are probably USA best known "studio band." Does anyone know why they preferred studio work over live performances or touring? Tom

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Sep 07, 2017 8:47 am 
Steely Dan is usually in my CD player when I am driving through Montana or Wyoming. Some of the best tunes ever...fun to try and decipher what they meant in the lyrics too. "Daddy don't drive that Eldorado no more" RIP

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Sep 07, 2017 8:50 am 
I think it may have been because the "band" members were changing a lot with guest players. That, and they were music geeks. Easier to control the sound and convey the message in the studio? They may have been a wee bit introverted/shy too, and really didn't like "Stadium" settings? All 100% speculation on my part.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
RichardJ

RichardJ
PostThu Sep 07, 2017 10:44 am 
RIP Walter Becker. I love Steely Dan and play their music almost daily, even the vinyl records. It was a special time for me and my wife when they got back together and played the Gorge some years back.