Forum Index > Trip Reports > Throne room of the mountain gods (Karakorams, July 2013)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostTue Nov 01, 2016 10:01 am 
Just read the whole thing thru, and wow. This has been a dream of mine as well. I own Galen's book, and have read numerous accounts of K2 attempts. Visiting Concordia is on my bucket list as well, and I think I better get busy! smile.gif Thank you for taking the time to write this. And has been already said, your pics are every bit as awe inspiring as Galen's. up.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
elton

elton
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 9:55 pm 
GaliWalker! Thanks a bunch for your timely help here! I booked insurance and trek with same companies you did with; RoamRight Insurance's Adventure Package for K2 Gondogoro La trek with Vertical Explorers Treks & Tours Pakistan! Looks everything promising!Cant wait to be there in July.

omie

omie
PostSun Mar 19, 2017 4:43 am 
You take the most awesome journeys, Gali! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

yayasee

yayasee
PostSat May 20, 2017 10:54 am 
heading K2 Gondogoro la in June,will Pass be open in June ?

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat May 20, 2017 6:08 pm 
I expect it would be passable (I think the fixed ropes should be placed by then), but I don't know for sure. The year I went the pass was closed by the Pakistan Army, so we never managed to go over. I would suggest checking with your tour company. Also, unless you are going near the end of June, expect potentially having to break trail. And be careful of rock fall and not going down too close to the mountainside. I heard of a bad accident last year when rock fall hit someone in this fashion.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
enday
enday

enday
enday
PostWed Jun 14, 2017 10:26 pm 
I plan on getting into Skardu next month. what is ideal to pack for this trek at this time?

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jun 15, 2017 6:07 am 
Whoever you're going with will definitely have a full gear list. Here are a few items I can provide more info about: - I don't think you'll need crampons, although microspikes are helpful on some sections of ice. - Gators are recommended, especially for the Gondogoro La leg. - I did not need an ice axe, since Gondogoro La was closed for us; you might. Check with your tour operators and if they will provide one, or if you need to take your own. - Glacier goggles or sunglasses. - See if you can get some antibiotics for stomach issues (like Cipro), just in case.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
drm

drm
PostThu Jun 15, 2017 8:03 am 
Take plenty of strong sunscreen, the sun is brutal at that altitude. I had an ice axe for crossing Gondogoro La, it's pretty steep for a section if the same route is used these days.
The view looking southwest from the pass, I described it as an ocean of Yosemites
The view looking southwest from the pass, I described it as an ocean of Yosemites
Kinda steep going up in places - 60 deg. The rope was for the porters, who were in sneakers.
Kinda steep going up in places - 60 deg. The rope was for the porters, who were in sneakers.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jun 15, 2017 6:38 pm 
Thanks for the photos drm. up.gif That view from Gondogora La of the spear of Laila Peak was the one I was most disappointed at not seeing. I hear that there is also a superb view of K2 from there...?

inor

inor
PostThu Aug 31, 2017 10:00 pm 
Thanks GaliWalker! That's a very interesting trip report!

Troutnut

Troutnut
PostWed Sep 06, 2017 10:45 am 
This is one of the most amazing trip reports I've ever read. What a place!

drm

drm
PostThu Sep 07, 2017 10:38 am 
Sorry for not checking back. I think the view of K2 is better from the Concordia area, though of course you can see it from the pass too.
K2 from somewhere near Concordia, this is the three paying trekkers, me in the middle. I think we did the trip in July
K2 from somewhere near Concordia, this is the three paying trekkers, me in the middle. I think we did the trip in July
K2 from Gondogoro Pass with our Balti porter crew (lead guide third from the left) and one of the trekkers
K2 from Gondogoro Pass with our Balti porter crew (lead guide third from the left) and one of the trekkers

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Sep 07, 2017 6:03 pm 
Thanks for the photos, especially that second one. up.gif

drm

drm
PostFri Sep 08, 2017 9:08 am 
And thanks for identifying Laila Peak - I never knew the name of that one.

hedge

hedge
PostMon Oct 02, 2017 9:45 pm 
It brings back all kinds of memories from my trip to Pakistan. I went with Vertical Explorers Tours, followed the same itinerary with Gondogoro La and Hushe and had great experience!