Forum Index > Trail Talk > Areas of Oregon Cascades not affected by wildfires?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
molotok

molotok
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 9:54 pm 
Is there a source on the internet where i can see at one glance what areas of the oregon cascades are affected by wildfires and which roads are closed? I know inciweb.com but that is so confusing to me. If you were to go hiking in the oregon cascades this week, where would you go? What about the diamond peak / odell lake area? And what about the east side of the three sisters?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 11:21 pm 
yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 5:47 am 
drm

drm
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 am 
Southern Oregon has generally had much thicker smoke thanks to fires at Crater Lake and Mt Jefferson and elsewhere. There are no fires on Mt Hood and of course smoke will vary depending on the winds. Access to Mt Hood from the north is closed off due to the Eagle Creek fire but you can access it from the east and south, and the Timberline Trail was still open all the way around last I heard. So my impression is that Hood is probably the best. But everybody is hanging on the possibility of soaking rains next week. Closed areas probably won't open fast but maybe the smoke will be gone. It's one thing to know where fires and closures are, but I have been trying to find a good online source for information on smoke. When I compare what those sites say with my personal experience for where I live or just hiked, the results are mixed.

molotok

molotok
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 am 
Mt Hood seems like a good idea. Has anyone been there recently? When I was hiking at Mt St Helens yesterday Mt Hood seemed to be veiled in fog or smoke. Not sure what is was. And what about Diamond Peak? It's not too close to the crater lake fires I guess.

drm

drm
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 10:54 am 
Winds have turned and Eagle Creek smoke is now heading east, so Mt Hood would be smokier than it was a few days ago. But I think the west winds decrease today. It really can vary day-by-day.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 am 
molotok wrote:
Mt Hood seemed to be veiled in fog or smoke. Not sure what is was.
Where the smoke will be day-by-day and even hour-by-hour is highly variable. The animated map shown on this link shows the forecast smoke density -- like weather forecasts what actually happens may very well be different. https://tools-c2.airfire.org/websky/v1/run/standard/PNW-4km/current

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 11:41 am 
The Hood River Ranger District has closed the entire district due to fire danger (and potential problems from the Eagle Cr. Fire as it continues to burn eastward and southward), so there is now no access to the north side of Mt. Hood. As for smoke, it will vary from day to day, depending not just on regional wind conditions but on local variations. There's always the Olympics and the beach. (I'm hanging out at the latter, working lots of muscles I didn't know I had by hiking on the sand.) We are probably counting too much on the storm due Sunday, but it's the most hopeful sign yet!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
drm

drm
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 1:30 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
We are probably counting too much on the storm due Sunday, but it's the most hopeful sign yet!
I agree. 1" probably won't put the fire out, but it could stop any spreading and cut way, way down on the smoke. Today the west winds are pushing it east to my area, so your place would be better.