Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fire season ending rains possible about one week from now
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 12, 2017 10:32 pm 
FWIW: IME in the PNW forest fires aren't usually considered "out" until a decent amount of snow falls on the burned area. Also the burned areas often remain closed for a considerable period of time afterwards-- not infrequently until after a second winter has passed. The Norse Peak fire has hit the PCT , due to It's popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if the USFS puts some resources into clearing the trail and removing hazards early next summer in order to safely open the trail for thru hikers. Trails such as the Middle Fork Teanaway will probably be a longer wait until they are reopened.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mikey

Mikey
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 7:23 am 
Treeswarper mentioned slash burning has decreased over the years. I attended forest products conferences and when the Environmental Director for Crown Zellarbach (later named James River) presented a talk, he often was questioned as to why Crown Zellarbach did not burn their logging slash. The Environmental Director would smile (he suspected that this question would be asked) and say that Crown Zellarbach used the slash in their forest products mills and so there was no need for burning the slash. The USFS has regulations regarding the diameter of logged trees which must be removed so the amount of slash produced during logging on National Forest land has decreased significantly. There was a myth that Douglas Fir seeds and seedlings must have burned soil minerals in order to grow. This myth was dispelled when a forestry graduate student doing research (funded by USFS) on Douglas Fir seedlings in slash burned soil found that Douglas Fir grow better in un-burned soil. The forest products industry in Wash State was very powerful and blocked the Olympic Air Pollution Authority from enforcing air pollution regulations regarding private logging slash burning adjacent to residential houses but I think that situation was changed by the Federal Goverment (EPA ?). Mechanical Engineering Professor at Oregon State University (Dick Boubel) told the story about grass seed farmers burning grass stubble after harvesting the grass seed and the grass seed farmers claiming they had to burn the stubble to make it possible to grow the next grass crop. The smoke from burning grass stubble used to blow across I-5 and once the smoke was so thick that there was a fatal multiple vehicle accident on I-5 near Murder Creek which probably helped inspire Oregon legislation to regulate grass seed stubble burning in Oregon.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 8:48 am 
Mikey wrote:
Treeswarper mentioned slash burning has decreased over the years.
In the house I grew up in, my bedroom window faced west. I remember seeing a thick band of dark gray smoke on the horizon recurrently from the slash fire smoke out toward Shelton. That generally went on for a few months out of the year. Not so any more.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 9:18 am 
Yeah slash burns are pretty much gone as are wigwam burners doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 9:27 am 
^ those things were always going full tilt every time we drove out anywhere on the peninsula - all year long, it seemed like.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 9:42 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
The Norse Peak fire has hit the PCT , due to It's popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if the USFS puts some resources into clearing the trail and removing hazards early next summer in order to safely open the trail for thru hikers. Trails such as the Middle Fork Teanaway will probably be a longer wait until they are reopened.
More than the USFS.....PCTA staff and volunteers are already beginning the discussion of the part they'll play in this. BCHW is very active in the Norse Peak burn area. I suspect WTA will get involved as well. So......here's my recruitment pitch.....sign up with the PCTA. https://www.pcta.org/ The green "volunteer" button on the upper right. Hover and go down a couple entries to the "volunteer application" to get put into the system to know when there will be projects. You can also sign up with the local PCTA chapter(s) - the North 350 Blades and the White Pass Chapter. North350Blades@pcta.org and for the White Pass Chapter julie@mountainjules.com Down the Gorge, the Mt Hood Chapter will need some help as well. They work a LOT more than just the PCT in the Gorge. Mt. Hood can be reached at tturner@pcta.org

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 1:01 pm 
A major reason for the old broadcast burns was to make planting spaces. Old growth slash was thick. I remember walking on top of it with a 6 foot tall guy and he suddenly disappeared. That's how deep it could get. Now imagine trying to plant trees in that stuff. We got the science down and spring burns were mostly done just after the snow was gone and the slash dried out a bit. That way the soils were pretty damp and were less likely to get fried. This also meant that the units would have to be checked on daily to make sure no roots reignited, starting a fire in August. Ahh, fond memories of coming in late at night or in the wee hours of the morning after an "evening burn" and drinking a beer whilst showering.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cartman

cartman
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 1:33 pm 
Did this thread ever get sidetracked...not too hard to start a separate thread, people.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 1:40 pm 
According to the Canadians, the west-side of the cascades will get one more smoke event Thursday and Friday, particularly bad on Friday ( http://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/viewer/run/ops/BSC-CA-01/current/ . Too bad, otherwise Thursday/Friday looks really nice in the forecast. I don't see smoke in the NWS mountain forecast though.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 2:18 pm 
the area smoke cleared up real nice yesterday but is back again today. weather rain/snow predicted for 6500ft and above,with light rain last evening. didnt help the smoke much but I hope it has some effect on the fires. $60 million has already been spent on area fires, and numerous buildings destroyed. may turn out to be the worst fire season. southeastern/eastern portion of the state may be hikeable with little smoke, however I have been in touch with friends in utah and as far as ohio who say they have our smoke...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 2:22 pm 
cartman wrote:
Did this thread ever get sidetracked...not too hard to start a separate thread, people.
How? It's right on, discussing smoke, weather, burning. Drinking beer in the shower upon returning home late after being out on a fire or burn is part of the fire culture. I was surprised to find out that it was so common. Alas, my beer on a rope idea was not original. It has been done, I guess. waah.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 3:22 pm 
Speaking as someone who was evacuated due to the Jolly Mountain fire...god I hope so.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 4:43 pm 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Speaking as someone who was evacuated due to the Jolly Mountain fire...god I hope so.
Great to hear from you! Many of us have been wondering how you were doing over there. I would say "Hope all is well." But how can it be? frown.gif ~z

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 5:08 pm 
cartman wrote:
yeah okay.... but I want to know how you keep soap from getting into your beer in the shower. clown.gif

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Sep 13, 2017 5:08 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Great to hear from you! Many of us have been wondering how you were doing over there. I would say "Hope all is well." But how can it be? frown.gif ~z .
All people and mountain gear made it out safely. That's well enough for me!