Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Appleton - 9/13/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Sep 15, 2017 8:55 pm 
Had a failed attempt on Mount Appleton in April of 2015. It's definitely day-trip-able. Just not with lot's of knee-deep snow to slow you down. Last time we attempted the ridge direct route from Appleton Pass, so this time we did the traverse route to reach the saddle between Appleton and South Appleton.
bushwhack
bushwhack
bench and tarn at 4800 feet
bench and tarn at 4800 feet
bear cairn
bear cairn
saddle at left out of view
saddle at left out of view
above the saddle
above the saddle
South Appleton
South Appleton
We left the trail above the spring and bushwhacked briefly to reach the large bench at 4800 feet. Follow the bench north past a nice tarn with good camping options and then work up to the saddle between the peaks. We did the south peak first because it is higher. The north peak is harder and might have a few genuine class 3 moves depending on how you go. Both peaks are tough class 2.
Mercury and Mathias above the Blue Glacier
Mercury and Mathias above the Blue Glacier
Olympus
Olympus
Appleton from South Appleton
Appleton from South Appleton
Everett Peak and Blue Lake
Everett Peak and Blue Lake
exposed class 2
exposed class 2
South Appleton from Appleton
South Appleton from Appleton
Fairchild and Carrie
Fairchild and Carrie
Carrie
Carrie
Appleton summit
Appleton summit
Boulder Peak
Boulder Peak
South Appleton
South Appleton
There are a lot of ripe berries up there right now which is indicated by the numerous piles of purple bear scat. More bear scat than I've seen before in a single area. John savors camping in the wilderness, so we camped early on the way down and it was nice to be take it easy. The next morning I made full use of the Olympic Hot-springs while John soaked his feet. I observed a small frog who forgot to get out after 15 minutes. shakehead.gif
typical Olympic choss
typical Olympic choss
Olympic Hot-springs
Olympic Hot-springs

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 8:09 am 
I've seen some of the biggest and best berries ever this year. Funny how that is with such a dry summer. A buddy of mine got a bad dose of giardia in those hot springs about 30 years ago.

RodF

RodF
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 1:20 am 
Thanks for sharing your route & photos! Appleton Pass Trail was getting brushy before the Boulder Creek trailhead was closed for the last 3 years, and sure looks like it's an overgrown bushwack now. Park trail crew brushed lower Happy Lake Ridge trail this spring. Hope other trails in the area can get some TLC now that the trailhead is reopened.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva