Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fatal Black Bear Attack in Alaska (corrected)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 10:54 am 
Ski wrote:
pcg wrote:
Why is this necessary? Why shock the system?
... because of nutballs who insist that the "reintroduction of apex predators" (wolves and grizzly bears) is a panacea for all that is "wrong" with ecosystems, and they will argue that point at the exclusion of all that is reasonable and logical, the fact that no actual benefit has so far been gained by these efforts notwithstanding.
I am not seeing this to be true. Most are candid that this is just one step to a more healthy ecosystem. I think many advocates downplay the potential effects and focus mainly on the wilderness aesthetic aspect. I look at the grizzly reintroduction/relocation as similar to the dam removal on the Elwha. It's the right thing to do, not just expedient. It certainly is not a magic pill to solve all the ills of the Olympic Peninsula ecosystem. Anyway, the effects of grizzly relocation/reintroduction is an unknown. But the future is always like that, an unknown. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 11:20 am 
Rumi - That begs the question: by what metric is the ecosystem in the North Cascades "not healthy"?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 12:08 pm 
Ski wrote:
Rumi - That begs the question: by what metric is the ecosystem in the North Cascades "not healthy"?
Let me put it this way, Ski: When I was young, the great lakes were basically dead, ecologically speaking. They looked pretty much like they do today, but they were DEAD! I can tell you there were lots of people that just didn't care that the Great Lakes were dead. As long as they could sail, play on the beaches, watch the sunrise or sunset, ski, or whatever, they were happy. There were lots of interventions by humans to get the Great Lakes healthy again. There continues to be a battle to help the Great Lakes stay healthy. I don't think anyone wants to go back to the way it was in the 1960s when it was at it's worse. One thing I do know, the Great Lakes are healthier now than in the 1960s. Many people are satisfied with the way the North Cascades are presently. As long as they have the mountains to climb and trails to hike, they don't care about the state of the ecosystem. But others are saying it can be better. Grizzly reintroduction/relocation is just a part of that attempt. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."