Forum Index > Trail Talk > Where should I go to see larches?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostFri Sep 15, 2017 6:16 pm 
With fires near Twisp and in the Teanaway, where would you go for great larch color if both fires were still keeping trails closed? I won't be going until early in October. I'm concerned that life might take me away from Washington and I want to get this in before I go.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Sep 15, 2017 7:30 pm 
Pyramid Creek Basin from either the North Fork of the Entiat TH or Big Hill TH from the summit of Shady Pass. You might even bump into me up there.

nordique

nordique
PostFri Sep 15, 2017 7:42 pm 
Canadian Rockies: they might not be on fire.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Sep 15, 2017 7:50 pm 
The western larch in the Naches area and Blewett, if they're not on fire by then. But that will likely be later in Oct. Sherman Pass isn't on fire (so far as I know).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 15, 2017 7:55 pm 
Maple pass loop and Carne Mountain high route.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Sep 15, 2017 7:59 pm 
Subalpine Larch? Lowly Western Larch? This one is easy to find. Dog Lake just east of White Pass has a pretty solid yellow around it in October. Larches are also scattered all over the Okanogan highlands. The pictures were taken by Lost Lake east of Tonasket.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 15, 2017 9:12 pm 
Kim wrote:
"The western larch in the Naches area and Blewett..."
Really? I should take somebody for a drive up over the old Blewett highway. Would I find yellow larches up there? Would be a good excuse for driving over to Leavenworth and Peshastin for some apples.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Sep 15, 2017 9:22 pm 
Should anyone be going up to Dog Lake, highway 12 will be closed in the area by the tunnel. Traffic is going to be detoured, starting this Monday, onto the Tieton Road. The warning says to add a half hour to your travel time. They have estimated it will take 55 days to do the rock work.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 11:21 am 
For Western larch, the Blue Mountains in both WA and OR are great. So is the Skyline Drive south of Mt. Hood. Note that Lyalls' (Alpine) larch is colored up several weeks before the Western larch turns. The latter is best in mid to late October, while early October is best for the former. Altitude has a lot to do with that. So does the weather, which, if inclement, will bring the needles down sooner. If you have the time, head for Lyall's viewing in early October, then go out again in mid-October for the Western. Only you can decide which is better. I love them both!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 12:27 pm 
Ski wrote:
Kim wrote:
"The western larch in the Naches area and Blewett..."
Really? I should take somebody for a drive up over the old Blewett highway. Would I find yellow larches up there? Would be a good excuse for driving over to Leavenworth and Peshastin for some apples.
Yup, you bet. Western larches, so later in October. I love Old Blewett; haven't driven it in several years. Then to the Aplet & Cotlet Factory in Cashmere, Mexican food or Rusty's Drive Inn.... buy some apples & pears (that's typically all that's left by then), local jams & honey... o yeah! smile.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 9:32 pm 
yes! but.... have you ever stopped to take a look at the old arrastra? clown.gif ( I filled up the whole back of my pickup with big pine cones driving up over the old Blewett highway. Figured they'd be a good way to keep cats out of my flower beds. You have to lay them in at least two or three layers deep or the cats will just push them aside so they can crap in your flower beds. They worked great for a couple years, but then they started to decompose and they really started looking like hell. Had to dig them all out with a bark fork and haul them off. They did work for a while, though!) up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 11:02 pm 
Ski wrote:
but.... have you ever stopped to take a look at the old arrastra? clown.gif
Who do you think you're dealing with. Yes, of course I have stopped at the old arrastra. tongue.gif I enjoy looking at the crumbled remnants of the old highway next to the current one. I can't remember the mileage, but I think it's something like what the old highway did in 11 miles, the current one does in 6. I love those curvy highways. I remember when I was kid and my family traveled across the US & Canadian Rockies every summer; they were straightening out the highways then, and we'd have to stop for construction for what seemed like hours while they blasted and cleared. I was a little kid, so it probably wasn't hours, but it seemed like it. Can't trust idiot drivers nowadays with a road like Old Blewett.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 7:55 pm 
Applets and Cotlets are gross. Seemed like I took 48 million tours of their factory whilst in grade school. I need to head over before the passes get snow and get a box of apples for apple sauce makings.