Forum Index > Trail Talk > FS road maps
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nonhog

nonhog
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:19 am 
Best place to get detailed FS road maps? Most maps are very vague. Seems vandals don't allow sign posts? down.gif Specifically looking at South Pierce area

50 something, back at it
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:33 am 
Is Metsker still in business? REI carries some maps. Used to be able to get road maps from Weyerhauser - the "Vail Tree Farm" map is probably the one you're after - covers the area south and east of Yelm/Rainier/Bucoda/McKenna. Most of that real estate up there is (was) private land. Not really a lot of USFS land in Pierce County. Yeah - signs will be all shot to hell. Vandalism and trash dumping is why Weyerhauser gated and locked the 1000-line that dropped down off the Mountain Highway (WA-7) and connected to Yelm via the east end of Bald Hill Road/Peissner Road. I'm sure I have an old "Vail Tree Farm" map here in a box somewhere. Might well be worthless at this point, though - it would be at least 20-25 years old now.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
nonhog

nonhog
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 am 
Metsker not since 2007. I usually am off 410 past Greenwater, or The Carbon River area. This weekend I was up in Wilkeson hills. I'll swing by REI. Thanks!

50 something, back at it
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 am 
You're talking about road access only, i.e., using more detailed maps for hiking? If so: The USFS-issued maps suck and infrequently updated. WA Gazetteer is a step up re road access, although you should always check re road openings.

Chico

Chico
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:43 am 
Ranger district maps are pretty good. Might have them at your local ranger district office but they are also on line. Go to https://www.nationalforestmapstore.com

Chico

Chico
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:45 am 
Ski wrote:
Is Metsker still in business?
Metsker maps were always good for getting you lost. Showed roads that might have been there at one time but things change. Just like any map I suppose but the problem was Metsker showed everything thus the confusion.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:53 am 
If you hit a dead end, get ahold of me via P/M - I'm sure I've got something in a box in the other room for that area. The caveat, of course, is that they're old maps and may or may not be of any use.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
nonhog

nonhog
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 12:34 pm 
I love maps and enjoy studying them. The map I recently got from The Carbon River Ranger station just left me confused. My Gazetteer often leaves out FS roads. So I can never get enough, for each purpose is fine. Ultimately my current goal is getting to the more obscure trail heads. Scratching up my van is just fine getting there. Just don't want to spend the day driving. "oop geez! wasn't that road" Thanks for the input!

50 something, back at it
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 12:54 pm 
Note that some forests leave existing roads off their public maps because they do not want to encourage people to use them. The Siuslaw Forest in Oregon is one of those. It isn't just vandalism. The road maintenance people destroy the carbon markers with their brush cutter. It is too much trouble to get off and look for the sign and mark it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities