Forum Index > Trail Talk > Powder snow and sunshine!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 6:37 am 
Well, it may not be powder and I don't know about the sunshine; still a pretty interesting event for this time of year. Significant snow likely at Paradise the next few days.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 11:01 am 
Mission Ridge Forecast 9/16/17
Mission Ridge Forecast 9/16/17
Of course, it doesn't mean anything at this stage, since whatever falls will be gone in days, if not hours. But gosh, it's just such a pretty little snowflake icon. wub.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 11:03 am 
Looking at the forecasts, looks like freezing levels around 5000-5500 and lots of precip next week means snow at higher elevations. I'm not sure how to feel about this. Great for the fires, but I'm not quite ready for the season to be over. Maybe it'll melt and we'll get the best of both worlds. That's what I'm hoping for.

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 4:53 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
I'm not sure how to feel about this. Great for the fires, but I'm not quite ready for the season to be over.
Good for the trees, good for the animals, good for nature, good for us. I'll take small time sacrifice anyday if it equates to longterm health. Bring on the precip! We need it. Badly.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 10:14 pm 
A Breathing Earth: The annual pulsation of vegetation and ice. Not sure which thread to post this in, but this one is close. Here's a graphic that's like a gif. It shows the annual freeze and thaw of the planet as seen from space. So you have this advancing white of snow and then recession across the surface of the earth coupled with the brightness of green growing things in season and then in decline. Together is appears almost like the planet is "breathing" so to speak through the months. (You can see the months on the lower row beneath the earth map.) Pretty cool. ~z

gb

gb
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 7:53 am 
I believe in the year 1971 there was a major September snowstorm in the mountains. We had hiked up Milk Creek on Glacier Peak with tube tents and were chased out by rain. Four days later I skied up Table Mountain near Mt. Baker. I had 56" ski poles at the time and high on Table Mountain I could push them in all the way to the tops in the snow. It was powder and we skied all the way down to the lake at the base of Table in the new snow......the date was September 24th.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 8:21 am 
I recall the '71-'72 season was when Paradise at Mt Rainier set a record for most snowfall in a season -- 1122 inches. But that storm wouldn't have been included for that season since records are Oct 1 -> Sept 30th

christensent

christensent
PostSun Sep 17, 2017 3:09 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Looking at the forecasts, looks like freezing levels around 5000-5500 and lots of precip next week means snow at higher elevations. I'm not sure how to feel about this. Great for the fires, but I'm not quite ready for the season to be over. Maybe it'll melt and we'll get the best of both worlds. That's what I'm hoping for.
Unless we get some remarkably uncommon fall weather, I think it's safe to say it's nearly certain it'll all melt very quickly (within days after this event) up to 6500-7000ft, and quite likely higher.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
owmyknees

owmyknees
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 5:22 pm 
Anyone know how the North Cascades and in particular the PCT got hit? Met a number of folks this past weekend who were hoping to finish by the 24th, wonder how much snow they got.