Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Fishing Kittitas, King, Snohomish County Mountain Lakes, By Kent Hansen
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 4:50 pm 
I had done a search for these books in the KCLS online database and found the Snohomish and Kittitas versions. Unfortunately I didn't have a library card at the time and couldn't place a hold on them. After getting my card and I was quite disappointed to note the Kittitas version had disappeard from the system. I'm hoping the library pulled it for restoration and not the case of someone having stolen it. Anyhew, to make a long story short, I was able to check out the Snohomish version from the KCLS and found reference copies of Kittitas and King County versions at the downtown Seattle Public Library. Because they are reference copies you can't check them out (which hopefully means they can't be stolen either) but I was able to make photocopies for $3 and $4 respectively. paranoid.gif These are very cool little books, even for a non-fishermen like myself. Similar to the Lakes of Washington series, there are a few rare pictures and they make for excellent reading and dreaming in winter (even if they were published before I was born). The advertisements for Trapper Nelson Packboards and Dick Nite Spoons are classics. For the history buffs, there are plenty of historical nuggets. Who knew Rampart Lakes were also known as Archipelago Lakes, or Chikamin Lake was known as Gem Lake? And for the hard core fishermen and bushwhackers, eye candy like "no trail to lake and last part is so steep one must crawl on all fours." Mmmm, good stuff... Edit: Here's scans of the Kittitas version:
Index & Cover
Index & Cover
Page 1
Page 1
Pages 2-3
Pages 2-3
Pages 4-5
Pages 4-5
Pages 6-7
Pages 6-7
Pages 8-9
Pages 8-9
Pages 10-11
Pages 10-11
Pages 12-13
Pages 12-13
Pages 14-15
Pages 14-15
Pages 16-17
Pages 16-17
Pages 18-19
Pages 18-19
Pages 20-21
Pages 20-21
Pages 22-23
Pages 22-23
Pages 24-25
Pages 24-25
Pages 26-27
Pages 26-27
Pages 28-29
Pages 28-29
Pages 30-31
Pages 30-31
Pages 32-33
Pages 32-33
Pages 34-35
Pages 34-35

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 5:54 pm 
My dad has copies of those books and I grew up reading them. I once made the mistake of following one one of the published routes on a solo trip. I eventually made it to the lake, but it wasn't easy and the route wouldn't go as he described it. He had planned on writing books covering more counties but he got sick and couldn't continue.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 6:42 pm 
Some of the descriptions do seem a little suspect. For example, "Perhaps the most beautiful lakes in the entire Kachess Watershed are the exciting PARK LKS, 5300'." Perhaps time has changed things but I'd think Rachel would get the nod, or BeaverPuss Lakes for the name alone. embarassedlaugh.gif These must be the ponds on Rampart Ridge? Time to rename the pictures! And whatever happened to... "(AUTHOR'S NOTE) Logging operations are planned for the Waptus River Watershed and a road will soon be built to Waptus Lake. This will considerably shorten the distances to most lakes." hmmm.gif

Oldtimer

Oldtimer
PostSat Mar 08, 2003 12:47 am 
Each book Kent published (King, 1962, then Snohomish, 1962, then Kittitas, 1963, $1.50 each) was a "gold mine" of information for those who wanted to prowl around the back country, staying away from trails. The lake identifications he included were very informative--especially to the uneducated like me. His route information was sparse, and not always correct. It did point you in the right direction, usually, but didn't tell you about all the Devil's Club, vine maple, rockslides, etc. that you might have to navigate on your way. "SPARKPLUG LK, 5600', lies in a high rock basin 1 mile west of Glacier Lake. Contains RB, CT and EB and said to be very good fishing....Reached by climbing through high notch west from Surprise Creek 1/2 mile below Surprise Lake. No trail. In the meadows below Sparkplug Lake lies LITTLE PLUG LK, 5500', a small pond good for EB. A very tough climb in to these two lakes." That was one of at least three possible routes from the Surprise Lake side. His was the brushiest of the three. The best one went about straight up from near the outlet of Surprise Lake to a certain altitude, then you contoured around the bottom of a cliff and climbed up to Little Plug; Sparkplug was only about 150-200 feet on up. The third one, the one I took the first time, was a surprise (no pun intended). A long-time mountain lake fisherman and I checked a topo map, and decided the smart way was to go up from Glacier Lake to the top of the ridge, then follow it back to the Sparkplug Lake. We climbed to the top, started west along the ridge, and, lo and behold, we came upon an old CCC trail. "We've got it made," we said. Unfortunately for us, about half-way to the lake, the trail dead-ended at a cliff face. We had to scramble around it, then start side hilling and climbing more, seeing tufts of goat hair here and there, and even coming upon a goat about 20 feet below us at one point. After 10 hours, we finally topped out on Spark Plug Mountain, and there was Sparkplug Lake, about 600 feet below us. There's more to that story, but I've said enough. I don't mind calling attention to Sparkplug, since EB took over the lake and, the last time I was there (1978), needed cropping. My point is that Kent offered suggestions on routes, but he didn't claim to offer the best route. What I am about to say is hearsay, but I heard it more than once; thus, I put some faith in its credibility. In 1964, Kent was hiking, when he fell. As the summer progressed, he began to fall more frequently. That was his last summer of hiking for him. He develop MS (multiple sclerosis). For a person who loved the mountains, that had to be a tough obstacle to put up with. - Oldtimer

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 08, 2003 1:25 am 
Thank you for that OT. Sad is but a precurser to what is ultimately the end of your muscular life! I had a friend with MS. God help me, I'd prefer just about anyting to that. I had bone cancer, so I have a certain understanding of suffering. MS is something different than even what I had to deal with. When its' time, I hope I'm able to suffer a heart attack at some very remote lake, or at least most of the way there. There are worst things in life than dieing. How you're able to pass, may be as important as how you've lived your life, Im not sure, and I probably never will be. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Mar 08, 2003 10:33 am 
I remember these little books well for sale at Seattle Sporting Goods and a few other places, never bought one however, damn it! Did buy Wolcott's books then for aout $5.00 ea. Have looked for Hansen books occasionally at old book stores to no avail. BTW, nice read Old Timer (VH) <grin>. McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
salish

salish
PostSat Mar 08, 2003 11:02 am 
McPil - Seattle Sporting Goods on 45th? Tony Perkowski, manager? I think my dad bought one of these hi lakes fishing books there, too. We never got the Wolcott books, tho. I think I've got every Washington State Fishing Guidle published by Gordy Freer, however. Love the adds in the back of those things for the "gunsmithing" available at Warshalls. Oldtimer - thanks for a great read. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Mar 08, 2003 5:35 pm 
Cliff, that's the place, yep knew Tony, too. I use to buy a lot of stuff in there, a great spot! BTW, my grandfather was the Editor of the Fishing & Hunting Guide (Ben Paris edition 1940s-1950s) prior to the ones that Gordy Freer put out. The Ben Paris editions, some I have, can still be found in old book stores and some libraries, perhaps even on ebay? McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 10, 2017 1:02 am 
I got around to scanning the photocopies I made of the Kittitas version and added them to the OP. I'll eventually scan the Snohomish and King County versions as well. Enjoy!

Chico

Chico
PostThu Aug 10, 2017 9:46 am 
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 7:56 pm 
great scans Tom! When do we get the rest? Soon it will be winter with time on your hands...

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 pm 
Thanks for the nudge. I'll try to get around to it soon.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 pm 
Here's scans of the King County version:
Cover & Page 1
Cover & Page 1
Pages 2-3
Pages 2-3
Pages 4-5
Pages 4-5
Pages 6-7
Pages 6-7
Pages 8-9
Pages 8-9
Pages 10-11
Pages 10-11
Pages 14-15
Pages 14-15
Pages 12-13
Pages 12-13
Pages 16-17
Pages 16-17
Pages 18-19
Pages 18-19
Pages 20-21
Pages 20-21
Pages 22-23
Pages 22-23
Pages 24-25
Pages 24-25
Pages 26-27
Pages 26-27
Pages 28-29
Pages 28-29
Pages 30-31
Pages 30-31
Pages 32-33
Pages 32-33
Pages 34-35
Pages 34-35
Pages 36-37
Pages 36-37
Pages 38-39
Pages 38-39
Pages 40-41
Pages 40-41
Pages 42-43
Pages 42-43
Pages 44-45
Pages 44-45
Index
Index

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 9:55 am 
Awesome, thanks Tom!! I love that old timey stuff, where you capitalize LAKE NAMES and have cool ancient ads

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers