Forum Index > Trail Talk > How long does it take for bones to decay in the wilderness?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 11:09 am 
More specifically, my buddy and I spent the weekend farting around a certain wilderness and found some cool skulls, elk I think. We seemed to disagree on how long they had been there. One of us suggested a range of 6mo-2y, and the other 4y-10y Which of us would win on the price is right? Pic: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1AHEXWFF6BcbkdZSlJvRGEyOVlUZ21VeUw0WTB1dVpDTXNF/view?usp=sharing

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 11:18 am 
I'm not a forensic pathologist, but I do have a skull collection. Sometimes they'll last quite a while. Those three in your photo don't really appear to be that old - maybe a year or two - maybe three or four. There is a point at which rodents will start chewing on them, which is a determining factor in establishing date of death in forensics. Prior to the squirrels chewing them into nothingness, they'll start to get a little pitted and begin to deteriorate out in the weather, but that usually takes several years - longer than any of those have been out there.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 11:40 am 
I think weather, aridity, etc all play a role. We found some skulls in the Idaho desert that were very dessicated and weathered and impossible to judge the time they'd been sitting there. Cool collection.

RodF

RodF
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 12:26 pm 
I'm glad you found them somewheres around not within any certain designated Wilderness. Absurd though it may seem rolleyes.gif , it's technically a misdemeanor to possess or take shed antlers or bones from NPS Wilderness per 36 CFR 2.1(a)(1)(i), except for religious purposes. So pray over them to the elk spirit and you're good! wink.gif If, and I say if, purely hypothetically, my wife picked up an eagle feather in our backyard, could she keep it? Look up the law on that one (both state & Fed)! eek.gif 1 yr & $5000. She'd have to hand it over to her yoga instructor (who's a tribal member) who could let her hold it but not keep it! wink.gif Hypothetically, mind you! Crazy laws!

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 12:46 pm 
Really depends on the particular micro-climate. I'm thinking these were more than a few years old...

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 12:50 pm 
re: Rod's note just above: ^ True. So if you're looking for elk skulls, just prowl around a bit south of Randle in a couple months and you should be able to find plenty of them. Last one I picked up down there was just up the hill from the Iron Creek campground. Speaking of bald eagles.... I found an intact bald eagle - very dead but still in good condition - laying out on a gravel bar one afternoon just upstream from my favorite swimming hole. Took a couple photos and left it there. Too bad about the laws concerning bald eagle parts... I could have made one hell of a war bonnet! wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 3:20 pm 
Very much depends on the site and weather conditions. A carcass left in say one of Antarctica's dry valleys would last centuries if not millennia, but might last only a few months in the Amazon. I'd say both of your guesses are equally wrong and you should both buy each other a beer (or whatever the wager)

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm 
RodF wrote:
I'm glad you found them somewheres around not within any certain designated Wilderness. Absurd though it may seem rolleyes.gif , it's technically a misdemeanor to possess or take shed antlers or bones from NPS Wilderness per 36 CFR 2.1(a)(1)(i), except for religious purposes. So pray over them to the elk spirit and you're good! wink.gif If, and I say if, purely hypothetically, my wife picked up an eagle feather in our backyard, could she keep it? Look up the law on that one (both state & Fed)! eek.gif 1 yr & $5000. She'd have to hand it over to her yoga instructor (who's a tribal member) who could let her hold it but not keep it! wink.gif Hypothetically, mind you! Crazy laws!
It's also illegal in the rest of Washington State. Only shed antlers may legally be possessed. No tag, no taking home dead animals or animal parts. (now, in most areas of the state you can take home road kill elk & deer - permit required after you get home but the permit is free!) Although that one looked a little bit past edible! biggrin.gif WDFW Webpage on collecting animal parts

RodF

RodF
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 4:17 pm 
Ski & sooperfly, driving up Hwy 101 near Queets, saw a fledgling juvenile barred (?) owl lying on the highway, stunned but very much alert. Rather than leave it to become roadkill, I stopped, put on leather gloves, and gently carried it off the road into the woods. How many laws did I break?! Hypothetically, of course!

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 5:22 pm 
When we were in Ottawa, Ontario a deer was struck down killed on a nearby road and deposited near a running trail. Every week Lynda ran by several times a week. The removal by scavengers was quite rapid. We have coyote, wolf, skunk, martins, fisher, weasels, crows, ravens, turkey vulture, owls, and numerous insects. By one year nothing was left but the teeth. Your results may vary.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 6:51 pm 
RodF wrote:
How many laws did I break?! Hypothetically, of course!
Hmm.. lessee.. possibly "unlawful possession" and "unlawful transportation" ? hockeygrin.gif However, any gameys I know would just say ''THANK YOU" !

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 7:01 pm 
RodF wrote:
"...driving up Hwy 101 near Queets..."
lol.gif Driving down I-5 just south of Weed, I saw a huge owl laying on the shoulder of the freeway. I pulled over and stopped, backed up, and pulled out a pair of heavy leather work gloves and a big plastic bag from behind the seat, and yanked as many of the big feathers out of it as I could. Looked like it had flown into the side of a semi trailer... its head was squished something awful. The boys had fun making hats and stuff with the feathers. up.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 pm 
Ski wrote:
Looked like it had flown into the side of a semi trailer...
I have found two owl carcasses along the road while cycling. The owls will swoop down toward their prey who are running across the road. They are totally focused on the catch and oblivious to the traffic. I have given both carcasses to the Burke Museum who are appreciative of them. They perform a necropsy to determine the health of the species.

Luc

Luc
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 10:08 pm 
Thanks for the input! I had thought they would take longer to be completely eaten or decayed. Hard to imagine a large carcass becoming a barren skeleton within a few seasons, but that's why I asked! BTW - on closer look, it wasn't a wilderness area but a state wildlife area.

GNGSTR
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 5:07 pm 
I once attended a lecture by a WSU prof on the possible existence of Bigfoot! Asked why no Bigfoot bones had ever been found, he speculated that animals in the wild like to gnaw on bones just like dogs do, and that bones typically don't last very long for that reason. Sounded plausible, although it didn't make me a believer in Bigfoot (Bigfeet?). Counter evidence: I was once on a sea kayaking trip in the vicinity of Nootka island (off Vancouver island), where one of the paddlers knew of a native American burial cave. So he guided us to it. We didn't enter the cave (out of respect -- and in addition, it was a little creepy), but we did look in from outside the entrance and there were quite a few bones scattered about, bones that would have been very accessible to the local animal population. The fact that there were still presumably very old bones in there suggests the animals aren't as into gnawing on them as the prof said. Or perhaps after the bones are old enough, they lose their appeal to the animals. I dunno.