Forum Index > Trail Talk > Leave No Trace and Social Media
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:07 pm 
I respectfully disagree. I think it's all in how the details are framed. This can't be framed to be about keeping private places private, tempting though that may be, and as much as that may be the concern many have about social media. I think that must be explicit in any goals used to guide a drafting of suggested guidance.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
markweth

markweth
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:23 pm 
joker wrote:
Thanks. I may be overly optimistic but I'd rather err in that direction. I'll ponder this some more and hope to post some more concrete thoughts in the direction of attempting to hash out something along the lines of norms for use of online for sharing and promoting hiking. I still don't think it's crazy talk peace.gif And I too have "background and training in working with people," including both training and repeated experience with "change management" ;-)
You're welcome. And erring towards optimism when trying to guide people towards new ethical norms about sharing details of certain types of natural places (which as you noted earlier in this thread, many already do, it's just about making that the "norm" rather than the exception) seems worthwhile and I'm doing the same thing! I think modeling the concrete thoughts based on the ethics already practiced by some would be a good place to start and using the existing format for details about the principles that LNT has in place. And I do think that it would valuable to get input from LNT about what they think these "finer points" might look like and what would be get "buy in" from the Instagram crowd AND help mitigate the issues that LNT themselves connect with social media and its ability to concentrate people into areas that become "loved to death". If social media can get everyone in the same outdoor location, maybe we can work towards an ethic/8th Principle that spreads some people out and informs them about the other 7 Principles?

markweth

markweth
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:25 pm 
joker wrote:
I think it's all in how the details are framed. This can't be framed to be about keeping private places private, tempting though that may be, and as much as that may be the concern many have about social media. I think that must be explicit in any goals used to guide a drafting of suggested guidance.
up.gif Dude . . . you took words right off my keyboard.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 3:09 pm 
joker wrote:
This can't be framed to be about keeping private places private
I don't think you meant it as private in the private property sense. To be clear, these places we are referring aren't private places but public places. Individuals may feel like it is their private place but it's not. Anyway ... What is the problem? The problem is that some places are getting "loved to death" by too many visitors. Some have suggested that the underlying problem is really overpopulation. Lets set that aside because we ain't gonna solve that any time soon. Some have just suggested that it's too many people moving to the good spots like Washington. Of course they always think that they belong, it's just others that have moved after them. Again, we have to put this aside because that has no resolution. Others like the OP have suggested that social media is greatly to blame because it makes places go "viral" through over exposure. Others have kinda hinted that a partial issue is that people aren't careful about observing already in place LNT principles. So now that we have identified the problem and the supposed underlying causes, lets examine solutions. And I don't think anyone has supposed that one solution would completely solve the issue, so lets be clear on that. These are just solutions which could mitigate the problem. The solution offered up by the OP is to suggest an 8th LNT principle which would cover social media posting. Another proposal seems to be to get better compliance with the other 7 LNT Principles in order to mitigate the problem of 'loving to death" these areas. I think both of these ideas have merit, but may not be enough. The idea of attacking the problem through changing how we use social media is problematic. First because social media is such a HUGE thing. I doubt many of us are aware of all the different venues for sharing information like this. I mean we may be vaguely aware, but just not realize how small of a place a forum like this is in the universe of social media. Secondly, it only takes one small insignificant post or sharing of a post to make something go viral. Just ask Justine Sacco who only had 170 Twitter followers. In other words, it takes 100% compliance to keep something from going viral. Thirdly, it waters down LNT principles if it is added there. Already it is difficult to squeeze everything that is there into the 7 Principles Of LNT. I doubt most of us here could name the 7 Principles without checking. I doubt most of us could even name the 10 Essentials. And fourthly it could just turn people off of LNT. Take the example of PETA for this. Who could be against the ethical treatment of animals? Yet many people dismiss what PETA is saying because of what they consider the extreme views expressed by PETA. PETA has accomplished much, but they have also driven otherwise allies away with some of their proposals. As illustrated with the color of clothing and gear principle in LNT, this 8th Principle could potentially turn people off. On much of LNT Principles, I am kinda an idealistic utopian. On this issue, I tend to be much more pragmatic. What will give us the most bang for our buck, i.e. the most success for our effort. I am not telling people not to work towards solving over-population, making the state of Washington great again, or trying to keep social media from making our secret places from going viral; I just think those approaches are going to have a much lower chance of success or even mitigating the problem. That is why I think approaching the issue from that of land management has a greater potential to mitigate the effects of secret places going viral and thus "loved to death". And of course I think the LNT Principles are important. When I talk to people about trash management, human waste management, etc, I try to be tactful, bringing them along to see the problem as I see it. I tell them what I do and encourage them to consider doing the same. In a recent conversation with a friend I told her I carried out my used TP. That kinda shocked her. I didn't try to shame her, coerce her to do the same, or even try to convince her it was really easy to do (which it is); I simply told her if she saw all the TP blooms I have she might consider to do the same. That furthered the conversation along without blowing her out of the water. So let LNT continue to do what it does and tackle this "loved to death" issue differently. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 10:43 am 
I see lots of problems with telling folks not to post pictures, trip reports, etc. Sounds a lot like protecting privilege. Maybe the world would be a better place if the wilderness were less pristine and the masses spent more time in the wilderness. Not advocating for degradation, but more access is probably better than less.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 7:32 pm 
They're not proposing to not post reports and photos, just saying to think twice. For instance , some thinking twice may post a report, but be judicious about details, posting gps route and which or how many photos to use. Let folks know about the place but they should do thier own research and looking at maps and knowing something about mileage, gain, and how to determine, within reason, terrain, possible camp sites etc. In other words, consider not spoon-feeding. It's not a command, it's a suggestion. I think a lot of people are already being selective about what they post.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 8:08 pm 
I think not spoon feeding is a great idea. imo, anyone following a GPS track obtained from someone else is being spoon fed. Gobble, gobble. Following that same line of thought, anyone following their own GPS track back to their campsite or the trailhead is spoon feeding themselves. The metaphor would be an animal who regurgitates its food as part of its feeding process for itself or its young.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 8:42 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I think a lot of people are already being selective about what they post.
The funniest example of that is someone that posts on turns-all-year.com with Trip reports titled "Snoqualmie pass area..." The first time I went touring with him, he admonished me to not share the "sekret location" . We did the tour and I told him, "Hey, my dad and I skied this line in 1976"

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 9:10 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
he admonished me to not share the "sekret location" . We did the tour and I told him, "Hey, my dad and I skied this line in 1976"
I don't think there's an inch of land in the Cascades that hasn't been visited. * Your buddy probably knew that, but was more likely not wanting you to blab it all over and give the information to all your friends and throughout the land. Within 10 years of the Starks' sharing of their map with close friends, there was serious talk of limiting visitation in The Enchantments. I bet the guy they met on the trail way back when, who told them about the pretty plateau could have kicked himself a decade later...... Sure, it would have been "discovered" by the masses anyway, but perhaps slower if it were just words for description, instead of friends mimeographing maps and giving them to more and more and more friends. Which would have been silly; of course they would share their map; USGS wasn't in your face at every turn like it is nowadays. But it does illustrate what sharing details does - and that was before Instagram! (you had to write USGS for an order form, wait weeks for the order form, send it in with a check, wait weeks for your map.....). Because the over-use and subsequent permitting of The Enchantments was inevitable regardless of over-sharing, there's no reason to continue over-sharing other places. *I once sat on a rock in a meadow up in the Pasayten, thinking it was possible that no one ever sat on that rock, ever. I dropped my candy bar, and when I leaned down to pick it up, I saw that someone had stuck some chewed gum under the rock. Chapped my hide; however, it did remind me of a favorite passage in The Catcher in the Rye, so I read that in my head while I munched the candy.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
mb

mb
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 9:20 pm 
It's the irony of this generation of information technology: It allows for infinite and instant distribution. Yet that means things get focused instead: everyone can, and must, share that Perfect Shot of the #coollocation near them. Be that the local bakery which just got a review, local park, or previously-obscure-but-achievable mountain top. And at the same time we've built filter bubbles... maybe in the Old Days there could be some shows on the Nightly News about LNT principals and a significant %age of the population would see it. But now it's just sound bites. So the best solution might be modern prooganda: make a mini Viral Video about... something LNT related. And I agree the maps are so key. Lots of sekret locatoins are just there on the map and you can ask your phone, "HAL, take me to the #coolinstagramspot" and it'll give you exact directions such that you don't even have to spend the energy to raise your eyes from staring at your phone while walking. (It always amazes me some of the places on maps. Idiots who don't realize that putting all the sekret spots is a bad idea--they're often kept secret because of some capacity limited. You don't want a Bureacratic Solution for most of them, because that's most simply done with Closure.) And yes, I use GPS tracks and idiot-created maps to go to cool spots. It's so much easier!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 10:28 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
*I once sat on a rock in a meadow up in the Pasayten, thinking it was possible that no one ever sat on that rock, ever. I dropped my candy bar, and when I leaned down to pick it up, I saw that someone had stuck some chewed gum under the rock. Chapped my hide; however, it did remind me of a favorite passage in The Catcher in the Rye, so I read that in my head while I munched the candy.
Good stuff, I think much of the angst about newcomers improperly visiting parts of our natural world is that expanded numbers of users erodes our delusion that we are unique.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Sep 24, 2017 1:11 am 
It is a futile endeavor trying to control the actions of people in the future. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
cartman

cartman
PostSun Sep 24, 2017 1:48 am 
This so-called "8th Leave No Trace" principle is simply a politely worded attempt to tell others to STFU. Posting trip reports on social media has several purposes for me, including sharing the experience and using FB and nwhikers as informal blogs to look back at the memories. "We are not secret keepers." If the owners of that blog want to be taken seriously, making a disingenuous statement like that isn't a good way to start. Of course you are, and you want the rest of us to be like you. First off, in the current and future social media atmosphere, this will never happen so you're wasting your time. Secondly, the places that are being "loved to death" are a very small minority of the places that are available to go to, and are usually the places that are most easily accessed, and yes, have been most popularized in writing including on social media sites. However, the vast majority of the alpine requires more effort to reach it. Even a relatively easy to reach place like Jade Lake is an overnight backpack for most people, which means it's not likely to be overrun because that requires planning and effort most casual hikers aren't going to bother with to get that selfie. Even more absurd is the griping, including on this site, about posting details to a place like Berdeen Lake or the Berdeen High Route/Bacon to Blum Traverse. No, a place that requires that sort of effort to reach isn't going to be overrun. Are more people going to go there if details are posted on how to reach it? Most likely, but not that many; and that is not a bad thing. One would hope and expect that anyone competent enough to get there is already educated and experienced enough to respect the area, and the vast majority likely will be. Third, suggesting this as an additional LNT principle does major harm to the other principles, which are based on responsible stewardship of the environment. Adding this is unrealistic and dilutes the message of LNT, to the likelihood of ignoring it altogether for some--which is counterproductive to the intent of the new principle. Finally, telling others what they should or should not post is a vast overreach, and ultimately treads on freedom of speech, which is anathema to most Americans. Discouraging people to go anywhere, including your supposed "hot spots", IS elitist. It is a way of saying "you can go anywhere you like as long as you don't go where I like". Remember the NCCC and Wilderness Watch lawsuits attempting to halt repair of the Suiattle River Road? Their cynical and selfish attempt to limit access? This new "principle" is reminiscent of that, just worded more politely, but targeted far more broadly--everywhere, as opposed to just one road. But the ultimate intent is the same. If you don't want to share the details on how to get to a place, more power to you. But don't tell others what they can or cannot post. A far better and more effective tactic would have been to come up with a new way to reach the younger generation about responsible stewardship of wild places--using social media!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 24, 2017 2:24 am 
In a binary world that might be the only conclusion. I see it more as a suggestion to think in non-binary terms. I don't necessarily see it as elitist or selfish to be discreet if the motivation is to allow the next visitor to experience a place in as close to the same state that you did.

cartman

cartman
PostSun Sep 24, 2017 8:55 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Here's why I think it can hurt. It is difficult as it is to get people to take LNT serious as it presently is. Adding something like this causes some who are considering LNT to dismiss the concept all together.
RumiDude wrote:
The principles have to be what people will "buy into", otherwise they get ignored as over reaching or over burdensome. That is why this proposed 8th Principle is probably not going to fly.
Excellent points.
RandyHiker wrote:
After they stop leaving chip bags and "white flowers" behind and beating wider boot packs -- then striving for earth tones and location obscure social media posts as a "nice to have" suggestion runs less risk of alienating the "Instagram Hordes".
No, because there will always be new hikers to educate and overreaching will cause them to tune out. I'd tune out too if someone told me what color choices to wear, not to ever leave the trail, or tried to tell me what not to post.
Tom wrote:
In a binary world that might be the only conclusion. I see it more as a suggestion to think in non-binary terms. I don't necessarily see it as elitist or selfish to be discreet if the motivation is to allow the next visitor to experience a place in as close to the same state that you did.
The intent is to limit access by keeping places "secret". Which is, in other words, elitist and selfish.
joker wrote:
many social media posts have a tendency to concentrate impact on a relatively few places. I think that poster and I share an assumption that it would be better to disperse the impact more - not to reduce the overall outdoor use, but to better spread it out, and to help evangelize a low impact approach.
That is my opinion as far as what I've seen in person, and a question which I have posed here.