Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 9:39 am 
Ski wrote:
Grannyhiker, can you please provide a name and address for a contact person so I can forward a rant their way on this one? Thanks.
Can we please not derail the Eagle Creek Fire thread with this Oneonta Falls logjam issue? Ski if you and pcg will please carry this conversation into this new thread it would be helpful. I am now going to delete my earlier statement about the logjam from Grannyhiker's linked article. Sometimes it's like walking on eggshells around here. Then there is the occasional landmine. shakehead.gif Ski, I have put the contact information for the author in the new thread. Again we have a new thread for all the folks that want to engage on this. Thanks. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 9:47 am 
Latest information on the Eagle Creek Fire can be found in today's Oregonian article. Quote: Level 3 evacuation orders in areas affected by the Eagle Creek fire were lowered Friday to Level 2, officials said. The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office announced the change, effective at noon Friday, because the west end of the fire line are safe enough for people to return to their homes. ... Westbound Interstate 84 ramps at Cascade Locks re-opened Friday morning after officials determined the safety threat of the Eagle Creek fire had diminished. The westbound lanes of Interstate 84 between Hood River and Troutdale opened to traffic Thursday evening. All lanes between the two points had been closed since Sept. 4 because of the Eagle Creek fire. The fire, which has burned since Sept. 2, has reached 41,550 acres and is 28 percent contained. The fire is expected to reach Mount Defiance, according to an update on fire activity issued Friday. It was not clear from the information provided whether the fire would reach the summit and where communications towers are situated. ... While rain is expected Sunday, the forecast for Friday and Saturday were more amenable to fire growth. On Thursday, aircraft dropped nearly 100,000 gallons of water on the fire. On Friday, resources will be focused on the northeast corner of the fire to help protect the communities, infrastructure, and other values at risk there as burnout operations continue from Cascade Locks east to Mitchell Point. ... On the west side, fire is most active in the Bell Creek area. Crews will be constructing direct hand line and bucket drops may be used to cool hotspots in that area. Indirect dozer line will be connected to the powerline corridor near Larch Mountain to form a continuous line to the south. Oregon State Fire Marshal crews will continue to patrol residences near the eastern edge of the fire. Two additional task forces have arrived to support the structural assessment and preparation work being performed in Hood River. A public meeting to discuss the fire is set for noon Saturday at the Hood River Valley High School, 1220 Indian Creek Rd, Hood River. Also there's a Facebook page with updates. ~z

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 8:18 pm 
Looks good for drowning the fire tonight. The Columbia Gorge is under one of those big yellow and orange blobs on the radar map. We to the north of there are getting a good dump of rain tonight. I have a well insulated non metal roof and could hear the rain on it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 11:10 am 
Poured all night in Lyle. That usually means it really poured near the locks. This is great news...today was the first day in weeks I couldn't smell smoke when I stepped out my door.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 2:30 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Looks good for drowning the fire tonight.
MtnGoat wrote:
Poured all night in Lyle. That usually means it really poured near the locks.
Yes! This is great news. Very good to hear. ~z

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 3:09 pm 
I just checked the storm totals in WU radar for Portland, the area around the locks is showing 3-8 inches!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:44 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I just checked the storm totals in WU radar for Portland, the area around the locks is showing 3-8 inches!
I think we are getting similar amounts here. It is the kind of downpour that WILL knock most of a fire down. Now if they don't get mud problems... I hope they open up all of I-84 cuz that'll get rid of some of the truck traffic that's been detouring through here.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
drm

drm
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:29 am 
The ranger at Rainier told me that if the storm is a one-offer and it stays dry for weeks afterwards, that the fires would return. I have seen it said that a fire will not be truly out till snow falls because snow will not run off and melts slowly in place. But I too wonder if 5" or more of rain spread over a number of days should be enough to do it. I see nothing but sun in the long-term forecast into early October around here. So if that happens, we will see.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 am 
drm wrote:
The ranger at Rainier told me that if the storm is a one-offer and it stays dry for weeks afterwards, that the fires would return. I have seen it said that a fire will not be truly out till snow falls because snow will not run off and melts slowly in place. But I too wonder if 5" or more of rain spread over a number of days should be enough to do it. I see nothing but sun in the long-term forecast into early October around here. So if that happens, we will see.
It'll knock it down. I'm sure there will be stumps and roots smouldering, but this downpour will put a damper on the flames and then mop up, the job nobody wants to do, will take over. They'll start at the edges of the fire and make sure everything is out for a certain distance into the center of the fire(s). That area then acts as a black line to hold any reburns at bay.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 8:33 am 
Speaking of weather in Oregon, they had tornado warnings along the coast and near the mouth of the Columbia on Sunday into Monday. From an article in The Oregonian: Northwestern Clatsop County and southwestern Pacific County in southwest Washington are under a tornado warning after a severe thunderstorm about 10 miles west of Warrenton at 3:40 p.m., the weather service said in the warning. The thunderstorm caused waterspouts off the northwest Oregon and southwest Washington coasts Monday afternoon. Someone captured this nice waterspout out on the Pacific. ~z

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 am 
zephyr wrote:
Speaking of weather in Oregon, they had tornado warnings along the coast and near the mouth of the Columbia on Sunday into Monday.
Holy crap! I drove up the Coast from Lincoln City all the way up north along 101 to Olympia on Sunday. It definitely got windy and stormy but I didn't notice any water spouts. I got sandblasted during a brief walk at Hug Point. I stopped at Oceanside too. Totally unrelated, there was a surfing competition going on at Cape Kiwanda/Pacific City (weather was okay til 11 or 11:30 am, I was there earlier in the morning). That was kinda sad. Very small waves, not much for the surfers to work with. The 2 loudmouths on the PA system were extremely annoying, I could hear them jabbering incessantly most of the time I was playing on the dunes nearby.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:25 pm 
Oregon slide risks, interactive map, pretty cool

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 8:24 pm 
Ten days of mild dry weather with east winds (i.e. normal weather for this time of year) could start things up again. Although I hope it doesn't happen, i don't think we've quite seen the last of this fire. I'm prepared to head back for the Washington coast if it gets smoky here in Troutdale again.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Sep 25, 2017 9:37 am 
Flyover views of the Eagle Creek Fire in these photos and the video below from The Oregonian. Note: the video is more of an interview with a Forestry professor, the photos are much better for viewing the fire damage. Some of them are quite spectacular. up.gif The Gorge is such a beautiful place. Mt. Hood makes an appearance. ~z

natural_log

natural_log
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 10:05 pm 
Somewhat similar to the video posted directly above, here is footage from a recent recon flight.