Forum Index > Trail Talk > Norse Peak and American Ridge Fires
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 8:11 am 
Not only rain down here, but snow up on top at Crystal... The end may be near! https://www.crystalmountainresort.com/the-mountain/mountain-report/webcams/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Toni

Toni
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 9:00 am 
SunriseLot (1)
SunriseLot (1)
And just across the valley at Sunrise ...foggy and a light dusting of snow....more on the way??

There is no Planet B
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 1:15 pm 
Just saw the blurb of today's briefing. They got some rain and are hoping to have mop up completed enough along 410 to open it in a couple of days.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Sep 18, 2017 2:55 pm 
woohoo! Crystal survived the fire season!

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 8:49 am 
Yea, well can't say that about the Greenwater valley and lakes. Hoping they'll lift the closure shortly so someone (or me) can take a walk into Echo and/or Lost Lakes and see what is left... Then there's the Crest Trail between Govt Meadows and Chinook Pass-- people used to hate the segment north of Govt Meadow, now they'll be able to hate the entire section from Chinook to Snoqualmie Pass...

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri Sep 22, 2017 12:14 pm 
PCT White Pass to Chinook Pass now open. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5509/41669/

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 5:03 pm 
Bought a one-day permit from Hancock ($8) and took the bike up Grass Mountain. You can see some of the Norse Peak fire in the top of the photo. Too far away to make any damage assessment. You can also see the big communications golf ball in the middle of the pic that's been a topic of much discussion here.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 5:22 pm 
A recent WTA report on Crystal Peak reports: "There is still an active fire in the Alta Vista area (milepost 55) which has burned all the way down to the shoulder of 410 – there are signs advising motorists to slow down and use caution as there are fire fighters and equipment in the area." Yikes.

Chico

Chico
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 10:25 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
A recent WTA report on Crystal Peak reports:
WSDOT traffic alert

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 10:00 am 
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 10:04 am 
I'm suprised that the public is allowed in the burned areas right now..... If the public gets smoked by the tree, I'm sure their family will sue the Forest Service for millions of dollars.

Have I offended you today?
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 10:56 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
A recent WTA report on Crystal Peak reports: "There is still an active fire in the Alta Vista area (milepost 55) which has burned all the way down to the shoulder of 410 – there are signs advising motorists to slow down and use caution as there are fire fighters and equipment in the area." Yikes.
No need for Yikes. The highway makes a good fireline and was being used as one. If it is backing down slowly, that's a good thing. As for the WTA trail report...gotta love it when people who are hiking in the area of partially burned trees warn others about it. If they got clobbered by a tree, I imagine their trail report could be used to say they were aware of the danger but continued on into it. Fire crews try to hold a line, and then, on such a large fire, will mop up partway from that line in. Mop up consists of putting out all the areas that are smouldering or hot, and cutting down dangerous trees and snags so the mopper uppers can work more safely. The area mopped up should work as a large fire break so the rest of the area can be put out by the arrival of winter.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSat Oct 07, 2017 3:04 pm 
From Suntop 10-4-17, sorta pointed towards Chinook pass. Mostly relatively small smoke streams. Didn't notice anything the Crystal direction

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 7:38 am 
Drove over Chinook Pass on Saturday to drop some stuff off in Naches--and it was snowing pretty vigorously up on the top of the Pass. Fires on the east side appear to be mostly out. The burn alongside the road was not as bad as I expected-- and I'll guess there will be some good regeneration in the spring. One spot of smoke up on the American Ridge side. Took an excursion up Crystal Mtn. Blvd and was surprised to see (through the snow flurries) really vigorous burning in the woods above Half Camp, Deep Creek, and Ranger Creek drainages. Not wispy white smoke, but vertical gray smoke indicating some level of heat. USFS has hoses out alongside 410 still but they aren't charged and the Engine was sitting in the CM parking lot (I honked and waved) but gather they are just on standby... So, Fire Season is not quite over...

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Oct 09, 2017 6:00 pm 
Camped over on the Bumping River over the weekend. On the way home Sunday morning I stopped by Pleasant Valley and found the American Ridge fire still smoldering across the river despite the heavy rain and some snow that fell Saturday night. I don't know how much rain fell Saturday night but I'd guess close to an inch. It just about flooded out our camp site.
IMG_20171008_111525637_HDR
IMG_20171008_111525637_HDR